Windows i7

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've noticed that music seems to have a rather interesting effect on my own emotional state. It almost makes me wonder if it could be a possible means of helping someone with certain forms of anxiety and depression. Anyone else notice this kind of effect?

Mystic_Enigma

Seething with rage?
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I for one believe that it could! Whenever i'm having a less than great day, i'll listen to something calming, it usually keeps me from absolutely losing it emotionally better than lying down in the quiet.

Grunwave

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Never seen a Hollywood movie?

This article is the inapposite of your finding: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distancing_effect (Brechtian Effect)

Go watch the US prez debates. Listen to the inspiring patriotic music that is played (drums mostly -- war drums).

I assume that you are a young person, in that you are noticing this now. But do not quail away. There are many people who go their life without noticing the our ties to music.

If you are only interested in music's healing qualities: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/garden-how-to/info/how-music-affects-plant-growth.htm

Windows i7

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Never seen a Hollywood movie?

This article is the inapposite of your finding: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distancing_effect (Brechtian Effect)

Go watch the US prez debates. Listen to the inspiring patriotic music that is played (drums mostly -- war drums).

I assume that you are a young person, in that you are noticing this now. But do not quail away. There are many people who go their life without noticing the our ties to music.

If you are only interested in music's healing qualities: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/garden-how-to/info/how-music-affects-plant-growth.htm
I am 26 and I noticed this a long time ago. I just thought it would be an interesting topic to discuss.

Kes

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
There is a whole approach known (at least in some places) as Sound Therapy which does just what you are wondering about.

Mr. Detective

NATO Special Operative
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Every time I listen to heavy metal, I feel the urge to quit my job, go slay some dragons, and conquer the world.

Every time I listen to a rap song, I lose faith in humanity.

PikanyaDesu

Professional Amateur
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
85% of my inspiration for writing and such comes from music...it can actually put me into a certain character's mindset when I listen to the right music. I used to do the same thing for different roles I'd play when acting.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I actually use a certain song to calm myself down when I'm feeling really angry, so I know it can work on a lot of levels. I think that the intensity that music effects you is amplified if you are HSP (highly sensitive person), and everything that goes along with that. It could even be linked to people who are more sensitive to sound in general, like misophonia.

alexsandro22

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
Other
I like listening to relaxing music to calm myself down when I'm nervous

Darth Equus

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVX
Every time I listen to heavy metal, I feel the urge to quit my job, go slay some dragons, and conquer the world.

Every time I listen to a rap song, I lose faith in humanity.
This is funny because it's true, and it made me laugh more than it should have.

MetalHunter13

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I sometimes think of landscapes or places when I hear music. Like, the song "50 Million Year Trip" by Kyuss almost literally gave me a vision of this weird desert.

Matseb2611

Innovate, don't emulate
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Music and sound waves certainly do affect our brain. There are actually 5 known waves that our brains transmit and they differ based on the frequencies. Depending on the prevalence of each wave, different areas of the brain activate. With repeated binaural sound set to a specific frequency, you can artificially induce these waves in your brain and alter your mood and signalling in the body.
In brief, the following are the 5 brain waves:

Gamma frequency (>40 Hz) - Not much is known about these, but they're said to play a part in retention of information and memory.
Beta frequency (~14 - 40 Hz) - These are the most common waves in our brain and they are responsible for concentration and sharp awareness. They help us focus and to be active, but too much of them, especially in late parts of the day can make it hard for us to unwind.
Alpha frequency (~7.5 - 14 Hz) - These induce a relaxed and contented state of mind. There's some research that suggests that some forms of anxiety are caused by the areas of the brain responsible for these waves to be inactive/suppressed.
Theta frequency (~4 - 7.5 Hz) - These induce a trance-like state. They're most common during the phase when we fall asleep or just before waking up. They also are prevalent when we dream and are responsible for REM sleep. Listening to them can boost creativity, intuition, and new ideas (it explains why we often get good and sometimes downright weird ideas in our dreams). But they can make you well sleepy.
Delta frequency (~0 - 4 Hz) - These mainly occur in deep sleep and are responsible for internal healing processes of the body.

Listening to alpha, theta, and/or delta wave range can help to de-stress. I personally prefer to listen to alpha (at around 8 Hz), just before bed time, as that is nicely relaxing. Though each person is different, and you might have to find which specific frequency works best for you. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Can't wait for the next Sonichu
Birdhouses are usually made of wood. Birds typically live in trees. Trees are wood. Birdhouses are made of birdhouses.
He just discovered cellphones...

(I don't know why am I drawing so much these days...)
In medieval times, a common way to eat food was upon edible plates, which were made of bread, called trenchers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fjen