Effect problem - Sprite under/over

Sleepizz

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English, French
Primarily Uses
RMXP
I am working on my current project and I'm having a hard time with a certain thing: sprites going over and/or under tilesets. The problem is not in fact, going over, its going under. I'm having problems understanding what makes a sprite go under a tile, because this is what i need, the only time I've seen this is while experimenting on my "understanding XP" file. Help?

Example of what i want:
oop.jpg

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
it's in the tileset passability settings.
any tile with a star passability goes above the player, but needs another tile for the true passability below it.

Thefirelion

TheFireLion Game Studio
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
This is not a problem, so the engine works with respect to tileset, there are 3 types of basic passibilities in the database:
collision (x)
below the player (O)
above the player (*).
What happens is that the part of the leaves / branches of the tree are "above the player", but if you realize it, you will collide with the base of the tree trunk.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Andar, @Thefirelion the OP is using XP. There is no star tile.

In XP, you have a Priority flag on your tileset. You can give a tile a priority of 0 to 7.

Tiles with a priority of 0 will always be shown behind the player.
Tiles with a priority of 1 will be shown behind the player when the player is standing on a lower tile, but will be in front of the player when the player is standing on the same tile or higher.
Tiles with a priority of 2 will be shown behind the player when the player is standing on a tile that is two or more rows below this tile, but will be in front of the player when the player is standing on this tile or a higher row, OR on the row immediately below this tile.
And so on.

Look at that tree on your tileset, with the Priority button activated. You will see the trunk has priority 0 (I think) and the leaves start at priority 1 and get higher with each row up.

This is what allows a tall player sprite to show in front of a tall tree while they are on the row below the tree, without their head being clipped by the higher tree tiles (something that does happen with every RPG Maker after XP), but as soon as they become level with the tree, the entire player sprite is shown behind all of the tree foliage.

This is one of the things I miss from XP, where all later engines have taken a step backwards.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Figured I would start posting what I am working on here. Anyways, a quest system plugin I have been working on:
20mgjmZ.png

What features would yall like to see in a quest system?
Playing my game to improve my game. (Totally not procrastinating)
Hope he recovers fast :|
Looks like it's functional:
It's a common thing to forget eating &drinking while you are working concentrated, right?
If I had discovered RPG-Maker before moving together with my girlfriend, I'd have died of dehydration a long time ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spooky_frog