coyotecraft

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
This is part Bug. Part Suggestion.

In effekseer.min.js the setDynamicInput function has (index, value) as it's arguments. However value isn't actually used within the body, so any attempt to use it will instead set the value to NaN.
This is present in v1.52k, v1.52n, v1.53b, and v1.61b
It's a pretty simple fix. Just add "value".
setDynamicInput(index,value){Core.SetDynamicInput(this.context.nativeptr,this.native,index,value)

With that working, I'd suggest adding setDynamicInput to the Sprite_Animation render in rmmz_sprites.js
Although I can think of a way a plugin would work, I really think the Animations tab would benefit from an extra field, or dropdown menu with preset values.

What is Dynamic Input?
In effekseer it's called dynamic parameters. You have regular parameters that set position, scale, angle, rotations of particle nodes. You can use a static value, or you can set a dynamic one with an expression which you with the effekseer project. But with just effekseer itself, that really boils down to just a hand full of basic math functions like a random number or sin wave. Obviously this was a tool for game development, and there's meant to be some integration with game engines. Which I believe is what Dynamic Input is here for. That way you have animations that are responsive to variables like player's direction and battler positions. Which, my god, the sideview battle system is in desperate need of.
Imagine a simple flow of particles from caster to target. Since the offset or spawn point of particles would vary, the effect requires RPG Maker's input. Hence "dynamic input".
Effekseer has 4 input variables. I think it would be ideal for RMMZ's animation tab to have custom fields for these values.
For example setting Input0 to an Actor's relative position, informing the effect on where to spawn or move particles. Either by script or preset selections based on system settings and display types.

I think there would be enough room on in the Animation Tab if Scale, Speed, and Offset X & Y where delegated to an "advanced" dialogue box along with dynamic input settings.

There's a lot of untapped potential here.

coyotecraft

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Oh cool, they finally approve my topic.
Here's a little video of what Effekseer Animations can do when the Dynamic Input is functional.

The first thing I demonstrate are variable coordinates. The target, in the traditional sense of this animation is actually playing on the player. The Dynamic Input is set to Dragon Event's location. The orbs spawn at the origin (in this case the player) and move toward the input coordinates. The Red "Target" label is part of the animation as well. But it will follow the Dragon around, not the player. I walk around while the animation is playing to show that the "target" sign is fixed while the rest of the animation stays relative to the player. That's just the way I have this animation set up.

The second thing I demonstrate is how the effekseer animation can display different things based on Dynamic Inputs. For this, I'm using the Player's Direction. When the player is facing Left, it shows blue circle. When the player is facing right, using the same animation, it'll show a 3D Orb.
Just imagine. In the past if you wanted a unique animation for a particular character you had to make a separate animation. But with Dynamic Inputs, a single animation can display variable cut-in portraits using the caster's ID as the dynamic input.

Lastly, I demonstrate how the mouse input can be used to as a dynamic input for a fun effect. I made a tentacle/tongue thing follow the mouse around. With a little tweaking to the animation, it can be a flame thrower. Or a chain hook.

GregorDuckman

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
This is very interesting to me, spells from Final Fantasy games like Drain, Osmose, Draw usually use this exact behavior and I have been curious if it were possible to implement.

I'm working on a plugin that rewrites another piece of Effekseer's integration (a much simpler alternative version of which is here https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/animation-perspective-fix.141233/). It's currently limited to perspective, but maybe it could stand to be blown out into a much bigger overhaul / fix of the effekseer integration, until this feature (if/when) gets implemented properly.

I agree, I wish there was a dropdown menu for configuring these types of extras, or at least a note field added to the animations so an 'eval()' script can handle it. I do have a system for setting certain flashes as "escape characters", though I did it with evil hardcoding instead of a plugin. Might be the best we can hope for, for the time being?

coyotecraft

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I just checked.
EffekseerForWebGL v1.61e has fixed the setDynamicInput problem. It's just a matter of Rpg Maker MZ updating from v1.53b.

@GregorDuckman , Ah! I have noticed this fisheye distortion too. But I wasn't sure what was causing it, or if it was a quirk of some setting configuration.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Guys, I made a trailer! And, I also launched the Steam page! If you would like to support the game, please Wishlist it :ahappy: ->
working on some tilesets _ノ乙(、ン、)_

CIBl8xT.png

Oq8WKHX.png
aww man, color hex code #C4C4C4 doesn't work for the tint value in this scene I need something darker, which stinks just because I liked that one it was my favorite plastic explosive three times...#696969 (nice) should work better (WHY IS MY BRAIN LIKE THIS)
Tell it to me straight, doc. If I've been trying to piece together a "shorter" game to learn stuff outside of game jams... am I just running away from my WIP? :v

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dolodame