Effekseer

Holder

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Since the RPG Maker MZ uses Effekseer as a tool for creating animations I thought I'd start this topic (If there is eventually an official forum created for this then please feel free to close this topic).

I've never heard of this program before and never even created many particle animations before (aside from two), this is going to be a learning journey. Ask questions, show tips, tutorials, your own experience and time using this program.

Currently downloading with the question that can this program be used to create pixel style animations, all previews I've seen show fancy animations with blurred particles all that show stuff. Can people create something in say GraphicsGale/Aseprite import that and create animations that way.

Effekseer for Runtime - What does this download mean/do?

Effekseer for DXLibrary - What does this download mean/do?

Link to download Effekseer

Poryg

Dark Lord of the Castle of Javascreeps
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Effekseer for Runtime and DXLibrary is for programmers. It serves as an integration API into your applications. Since MV is going to have Effekseer animations integrated in it, you don't have to worry about it.

Holder

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Ah thank you for that, Library made it sound to me like a catalogue of preset things to use with the program.

Poryg

Dark Lord of the Castle of Javascreeps
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Libraries in computer technology refer to programming in 80% of the cases.

Btw. Forgot to answer this.
Currently downloading with the question that can this program be used to create pixel style animations, all previews I've seen show fancy animations with blurred particles all that show stuff. Can people create something in say GraphicsGale/Aseprite import that and create animations that way.
Pixel style animations can be created. You can turn off interpolation and antialiasing I think. And if not, you can increase the resolution and downscale it in the worst case.
Animations made in other programs can be imported as long as they are of an image format. Not sure if gif works, but png spritesheets will with some small fiddling around. Animation programs generally do not support proprietary formats, because it's difficult to decode encoding of a proprietary closed source program without decompiling it and doing something illegal. They also don't support video formats, because for video formats you need codecs. Not to mention, many videos run at 24 FPS, which wouldn't go too well with 60FPS animations.

JosephSeraph

White Mage
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
While perhaps not necessarily particles, most games have used different solutions to approach implementing animations since the SNES and probably way earlier.

I don't see anything in this video that can't be done with Effekseeker, although some things might take a longer approach.

Actually, I think there might be some very specific things that won't be implemented from the get-go, but otherwise, all of that is easily doable within effekseeker.

Making something like the falling boulders is far easier with particles than it is by hand. Imagine how NIGHTMARISH would it be to animate each of these flames individually? but that's easy, that's probably just applying a "noise" force-field that causes the particles to sway in random directions.

The one thing in the gif that I can't see MZ doing is texture overlays for sprites, like how there's that rainbow filter on Terra by the end of the gif. Or using user / target coordinates to modify animations like how the Gravity spell exits Strago and flies towards both enemies. But these weren't doable in any RPG Maker anyway.

As for the pixelated quality of it... If you're doing it like that, on 2D mode, it should be a matter of making the animations be on the native size (really economic on storage and memory) and then you just upscale them by 300/400% on MZ. Anything that isn't on 2D mode though will have some artifacting if you move the sprites along the Z-axis. (ironic, I know.) But that's ok. Scaling artifacting is barely noticeable on such high resolutions , AND SNES games did it all the time anyway. On that FF6 video, on Setzer's desperation attack (or was it), Blackjack shows up from the middle of the screen and then zooms off into the distance, very clearly becoming heavily artifacted but no one batted an eye.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
So continued experimentation with effekseer to test its powers. Rather than clogging up the main reveal thread guess I'll put them here?

So far the biggest hurdle is definitely working out the basic layout and what some of the terms mean/do. Once you got them down its not hard to add extra flair.

Anyway here are some particle textures I made if anyone's interested, since the program comes with none default.

Edit: added triple slash gif
Edit2: attachment now also contains my 4 project files to use as samples

Attachments

Last edited:

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Ooh... shiny!

oriongates

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So, I'm tinkering with Effekseer and I wanted to put the animation on a background. I figured out how to place a background under the environment window, but it'll just stretch the background image.

Anyone know what proportions Effekseer wants for those background images so I can crop/trim things to fit and avoid stretching?

JosephSeraph

White Mage
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Proportions don't really matter! You just need to resize the screen to match your image's proportion.

??????

Diabolical Codemaster
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Binary
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I must admit, some of these new animations are looking super nice. I wasnt overly impressed with it (elfkisser) at first but the more i see what people are doing with it, the more hope it gives me that the new animation system will actually be worthwhile! :o

oriongates

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Another question while I'm here. Any way I could make a node's scale "pulse"? Basically I want it to increase and decrease in size throughout its lifespan rather than just just growing or shrinking in one direction.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@oriongates from what I can tell so far:
-you either have to create another node which spawns just as the first fades for each change in direction (i.e one node goes out, then another spawns and goes back in, then another spawns and comes back out).
-or you mess around with f-curves. with f-curves you can do just this with a lot more control but I found it a bit fiddly when I tried using them.

JosephSeraph

White Mage
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
exactly, F-curves is probably the most efficient way. A third way is to just use a spritesheet that has this animation baked in. F-curves will still be better than the spritesheet, but there are some things that look better with a spritesheet (say you want a low fps pulse that looks kinda shaky for example)

1593298569600.png

Make sure to use the shortcuts because the default vertical zoom is PAINFULLY LARGE

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Blind trial without a tutorial and all, this is my first try.

Pros :
  • Randomization!
  • There are a lot of potentials you could use. I haven't explored them all, but I've already seen them.
  • Efficient. When you have a sheet to show a rotating magic circle in a perspective in previous RPG Maker, now you could just use a single sprite and use 3D rotation to save extra sprite sheet. Plus you can use F-Curves.

Cons (this is just personal) :
  • For a simple animation, I would probably do it faster in the RPG Maker since I'm already used to it.
  • Manual frame by frame like RPG Maker animation editor is still possible, but it's even more tedious than the default RPG Maker editor. Granted, it wasn't made for frame by frame animation anyway.
p.s:
I still have no idea how to make sword slashing animation (from the blind trial).

EDIT:
Is there F-Curve for opacity?

Last edited:

JosephSeraph

White Mage
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
I still have no idea how to make sword slashing animation (from the blind trial).
Try importing one of the RTP slash effects as an animated spritesheet, then moving that across through Position Animation

Is there F-Curve for opacity?
I've already done around 60 animations with this program and haven't found that so far >.>
However there's a Fade In / Fade Out parameter. You can turn it on then specify the number of frames. When I want particles to be low in opacity throughout the whole animation i just set both of these as more than half of the particle lifetime.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@JosephSeraph, while sprite sheets obviously work, you can actually make nice slash curves in effekseer using the ribbon particle type. though I'll admit it me took an hour screaming at the tutorial not understanding a thing (I'm exaggerating, or am I) before I finally figured out my first slash.

Now, there's 5 with randomised angles

Onto the topic of f-curves... Moving the particles in a heart shape took me 3 hours of head banging to figure out. But at least this shows its possible to do complex shapes.

Also, I found that there are sample projects including some particle textures that come with the initial download. They're in the 'sample' folder before going into 'tool' to run the program. How blind am I.

The other gifs I had to share are moved to the resource thread to keep this thread on the technical side

Last edited:

oriongates

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You can actually do some interesting stuff with the sample effects by just looking at the image they use for the particle and changing it to a different one.

oriongates

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Another question about the system...is it at all possible to create forced-transparency zones? Basically, I mean shapes that "cut out" other shapes to show the background behind them, rather than overlaying a new color or blending shade?

Essentially, I'm trying to create something similar to Chrono Trigger's Luminaire effect.

The shapes are pretty simple...you've got a node in the shape of a dome which expands, replaced by a full-size version that remains static while a second oval-shaped node expands from the top center of the dome, cutting out the remainder.

I've even got it looking okay on a black background just to make sure my idea is sound (it's not perfect, but you get the idea).

GIF 6-28-2020 9-50-32 AM.gif

But that's just a black-colored node overlapping a white one. It won't appear as transparent in action. Any idea how this could work?

Or would it maybe be more an effect of the blend mode when it's inserted into RPG maker...

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@oriongates in the 'orange cube tab' change 'blend mode' of the second node to subtractive. This will cause it to 'cut' into other nodes instead of adding to them.

Do note the part you want to 'cut-out' would have to be white, whereas black would just be ignored.

edit: ok that 'kind of' works, the parts which overlap will cut-out and become invisible, but the parts which don't will instead show as black... It would likely work for MV with additive blend mode but possibly not MZ.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

TMW the air quality is so bad, your hair changes color every time you wash it. :LZYyuck:
Finished two animations today. :kaojoy:
Sigony wrote on Ksi's profile.
Just wanna say that I love your videos.
When are you fighting Floyd Mayweather?
A game is a lot like pasta.
Pasta is technically edible after a few minutes of boiling, if a bit chewy, not very nice.
If you cook it with patience, perhaps with some oil, at a rolling boil in salted water, drain it and add a nice sauce with some roasted vegetables, and present it on a beautiful plate, with beautiful cutlery on a beautiful table in a beautiful restaurant with beautiful sounds and scents; VERY NICE.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spartanbuddy