Tea's Jams

I'm human
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
No. Not yet. (That I know of) But I will be making one soon.

Lion Blade Soler

Autistic Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
When it comes to position, scale, and rotation, the F-curves are easy to understand and to learn. However, when it comes to the F-curves as one of the UV options in the Basic Render Settings, I tend to run into problems. As I pointed out on my earlier comment, I was hoping that I could use the F-curves as an alternative to either the Animation option or the Fixed option for animating the sprite sheets, but the UV Size and the UV Start for the F-curves don't work in the same way that Size and Start work for Animation and Fixed. As a result, I can't use F-curves to animate the sprite sheets in the same way that I use Animation to get the job done, which is kind of a shame as F-curves could/would have given me more control on how I want to animate the sprite sheets than the Animation option.

Lion Blade Soler

Autistic Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That may be a good feature to suggest, it's open source.
View attachment 152692
Done! Fortunately, I already had an account with Github, so there was no problem with posting the issue at Effekseer's section. I included screenshots on my post to make sure that the developer understands what I'm talking about.

Lion Blade Soler

Autistic Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Great news! Effekseer has been updated to version 1.52i, which has the issue with the UV F-Curve fixed. That means that the F-Curve option for UV can be used as an alternative to the Animation option and the Fixed option. Of course, there are couple catches to make the F-Curve option effective and useful as an alternative to the other two options.

The first catch is that the Sampling must be set at 1. By setting the Sampling at 1, the sprite cells from the sprite sheet will be perfectly changed and there will be no hint of UV movement within the sprite sheet. A Sampling higher than 1 will be problematic and will not have a similar effect as the Animation option for the UV.

The second catch is that you will have to create a stepladder with the F-Curve in order to make sure that the sprite sheet doesn't move and to give the illusion of swapping the sprite cells. For example, when you set the Value as 0 for the X-position of the Start at Frame 1, you have to make sure that Frame 4 also has the Value of 0 for the X-position, and at the same time, you will have to have another point for Frame 4 with the Value of 192 for the X-position. To help you understand what I'm talking about, I posted the image bellow with the F-Curve highlighted. By the way, I also highlighted the Sampling area in the screenshot.

UV_F_Curve.png

Now, the final catch is that you have to be aware of there being a one frame delay when it comes to using the F-Curve for the animation. To create an animation that's similar to or exactly like the animations from RPG Maker VX through RPG Maker MV, you will have to make a sprite cell remain visible for 4 frames unless you intend on making a particular cell stay on that position for more than 4 frames. With the exception of Frame 1, all beginning and ending frames for each UV Start position of a sprite sheet must be in multiples of 4 (Frame 4, Frame 8, Frame 12, etc.). It has to be that way as there's a delay by one frame. For example, if you set two points at Frame 5, then the next sprite cell will show up at Frame 6 and not at Frame 5, so to make sure that the sprite cell shows up at Frame 5, the two points must be set at Frame 4.

Those are the three main catches that you will have to keep in mind about when dealing with the F-Curve option for the UV. I hope that what I posted in here has been helpful.

EDIT - P.S.: There's actually one more thing to keep in mind about when using the F-Curve option for UV. The Timeline must be set to Time (Frame) and not to Percentage. Time (Frame) is more instantaneous and effective.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Unpopular opinion: I always consider my players as my guinea pig for my experiment (my game) :p
Error brain.exe is not responding. Shutdown and run pillow.exe and bed.exe instead?
Not going to lie, now that business is picking up again after the whole pandemic lockdown.... these 50+ hour work weeks are really slowing down game dev work. It's a good thing I have basically no life, else I'd never have time to do this. :kaopride:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nwr