Tea's Jams

I'm human
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
No. Not yet. (That I know of) But I will be making one soon.

Lion Blade Soler

Autistic Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
When it comes to position, scale, and rotation, the F-curves are easy to understand and to learn. However, when it comes to the F-curves as one of the UV options in the Basic Render Settings, I tend to run into problems. As I pointed out on my earlier comment, I was hoping that I could use the F-curves as an alternative to either the Animation option or the Fixed option for animating the sprite sheets, but the UV Size and the UV Start for the F-curves don't work in the same way that Size and Start work for Animation and Fixed. As a result, I can't use F-curves to animate the sprite sheets in the same way that I use Animation to get the job done, which is kind of a shame as F-curves could/would have given me more control on how I want to animate the sprite sheets than the Animation option.

Lion Blade Soler

Autistic Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That may be a good feature to suggest, it's open source.
View attachment 152692
Done! Fortunately, I already had an account with Github, so there was no problem with posting the issue at Effekseer's section. I included screenshots on my post to make sure that the developer understands what I'm talking about.

Lion Blade Soler

Autistic Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Great news! Effekseer has been updated to version 1.52i, which has the issue with the UV F-Curve fixed. That means that the F-Curve option for UV can be used as an alternative to the Animation option and the Fixed option. Of course, there are couple catches to make the F-Curve option effective and useful as an alternative to the other two options.

The first catch is that the Sampling must be set at 1. By setting the Sampling at 1, the sprite cells from the sprite sheet will be perfectly changed and there will be no hint of UV movement within the sprite sheet. A Sampling higher than 1 will be problematic and will not have a similar effect as the Animation option for the UV.

The second catch is that you will have to create a stepladder with the F-Curve in order to make sure that the sprite sheet doesn't move and to give the illusion of swapping the sprite cells. For example, when you set the Value as 0 for the X-position of the Start at Frame 1, you have to make sure that Frame 4 also has the Value of 0 for the X-position, and at the same time, you will have to have another point for Frame 4 with the Value of 192 for the X-position. To help you understand what I'm talking about, I posted the image bellow with the F-Curve highlighted. By the way, I also highlighted the Sampling area in the screenshot.

UV_F_Curve.png

Now, the final catch is that you have to be aware of there being a one frame delay when it comes to using the F-Curve for the animation. To create an animation that's similar to or exactly like the animations from RPG Maker VX through RPG Maker MV, you will have to make a sprite cell remain visible for 4 frames unless you intend on making a particular cell stay on that position for more than 4 frames. With the exception of Frame 1, all beginning and ending frames for each UV Start position of a sprite sheet must be in multiples of 4 (Frame 4, Frame 8, Frame 12, etc.). It has to be that way as there's a delay by one frame. For example, if you set two points at Frame 5, then the next sprite cell will show up at Frame 6 and not at Frame 5, so to make sure that the sprite cell shows up at Frame 5, the two points must be set at Frame 4.

Those are the three main catches that you will have to keep in mind about when dealing with the F-Curve option for the UV. I hope that what I posted in here has been helpful.

EDIT - P.S.: There's actually one more thing to keep in mind about when using the F-Curve option for UV. The Timeline must be set to Time (Frame) and not to Percentage. Time (Frame) is more instantaneous and effective.

Last edited:

shrinker1

In need of serious help
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
i am still absolutely confused on how to use sprite sheets into effe type files

Lion Blade Soler

Autistic Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
i am still absolutely confused on how to use sprite sheets into effe type files
I'll help you out with a beginner tutorial in order for you to get used to the basics before going for the advanced stuff (like the F-Curve). The only two strings attached are that you must have on hand either the sprite sheet from RPG Maker MV known as SlashSpecial2 or the sprite sheet from RPG Maker VX Ace known as Sword6 and that you must have the latest version of Effekseer. With that in mind, let's get started:

1. Click on Node.
2. Go to Scale and set the X and Y Scaling Factors to 10.
3. On the animation player, press the "Fast Forward" button once, so that you will be at Frame 1 (don't change the starting frame from 0 to 1).
4. Go to Basic Render Settings; this is where you will be doing most of the work for the sprite sheet animation.
5. Press Load on Texture to load either SlashSpecial2 or Sword6.
6. After loading the sprite sheet, set the UV to Animation.
7. The sprite sheet, SlashSpecial2/Sword6, has 5 frames across and 4 rows down, so set the UV X-Count to 5 and the UV Y-Count to 4.
8. Each cell on the sprite sheet is 192x192, so set the UV Size to 192 for X and for Y; at this point, you should be able to see the first frame of the animation, especially if you are at Frame 1 on the animation player.
9. Set the UV Frame Length to 4; the animation frame length for animations from VX Ace and MV tends to be on 4.
10. On the animation player, change the number of the ending frame from 120 to 64; the SlashSpecial2/Sword6 sprite sheet has 16 cells and 16 cells times 4 frame length is equal to 64 frames.
11. For Blend, you can choose either Blend or Additive, but for this animation, I do recommend the Additive option to make the visual look less solid; the Blend option works better for solid objects, like rocks and ice.
12. Bonus: if you want for the animation to look pixelated (especially to look like old-school sprite animation), then set the Filter from Linear Interpolation to Nearest-Neighbor.

This tutorial is just to help you get started on understanding how to use sprite sheets on Effekseer and I suggested using the SlashSpecial2/Sword6 sprite sheet due to the sprite sheet being one of the straightforward sprite sheets, meaning that you don't need to do anything advanced for the animation of that sprite sheet unless you choose to do so. The more advanced aspect of the animation would be using F-Curve instead of Animation as an UV option, but not all animations need to rely on F-Curve for animation as either Animation or Fixed may also work, depending on the sprite sheets and on what you have in mind; the SlashSpecial2/Sword6 sprite sheet is one proof of that.

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Nothing special, but here's one I created using the tutorial.ball.gif

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Trihan Looking good. Only thing I created, when trying to follow Effekseer tutorials, was a headache. :p I get easily frustrated.

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well there's also this one that I created completely by accident when trying to do something completely different in the tutorial. XDspiral.gif

shrinker1

In need of serious help
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'll help you out with a beginner tutorial in order for you to get used to the basics before going for the advanced stuff (like the F-Curve). The only two strings attached are that you must have on hand either the sprite sheet from RPG Maker MV known as SlashSpecial2 or the sprite sheet from RPG Maker VX Ace known as Sword6 and that you must have the latest version of Effekseer. With that in mind, let's get started:

1. Click on Node.
2. Go to Scale and set the X and Y Scaling Factors to 10.
3. On the animation player, press the "Fast Forward" button once, so that you will be at Frame 1 (don't change the starting frame from 0 to 1).
4. Go to Basic Render Settings; this is where you will be doing most of the work for the sprite sheet animation.
5. Press Load on Texture to load either SlashSpecial2 or Sword6.
6. After loading the sprite sheet, set the UV to Animation.
7. The sprite sheet, SlashSpecial2/Sword6, has 5 frames across and 4 rows down, so set the UV X-Count to 5 and the UV Y-Count to 4.
8. Each cell on the sprite sheet is 192x192, so set the UV Size to 192 for X and for Y; at this point, you should be able to see the first frame of the animation, especially if you are at Frame 1 on the animation player.
9. Set the UV Frame Length to 4; the animation frame length for animations from VX Ace and MV tends to be on 4.
10. On the animation player, change the number of the ending frame from 120 to 64; the SlashSpecial2/Sword6 sprite sheet has 16 cells and 16 cells times 4 frame length is equal to 64 frames.
11. For Blend, you can choose either Blend or Additive, but for this animation, I do recommend the Additive option to make the visual look less solid; the Blend option works better for solid objects, like rocks and ice.
12. Bonus: if you want for the animation to look pixelated (especially to look like old-school sprite animation), then set the Filter from Linear Interpolation to Nearest-Neighbor.

This tutorial is just to help you get started on understanding how to use sprite sheets on Effekseer and I suggested using the SlashSpecial2/Sword6 sprite sheet due to the sprite sheet being one of the straightforward sprite sheets, meaning that you don't need to do anything advanced for the animation of that sprite sheet unless you choose to do so. The more advanced aspect of the animation would be using F-Curve instead of Animation as an UV option, but not all animations need to rely on F-Curve for animation as either Animation or Fixed may also work, depending on the sprite sheets and on what you have in mind; the SlashSpecial2/Sword6 sprite sheet is one proof of that.
I got it thanks

oriongates

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Just curious, is there any way to easily run an effekseer animation in reverse? Say, I think an explosion effect would look a bit neater as an implosion.

Lion Blade Soler

Autistic Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Just curious, is there any way to easily run an effekseer animation in reverse? Say, I think an explosion effect would look a bit neater as an implosion.
That depends on what you have in mind. It's definitely possible with sprite sheet animation, because in case of sprite sheet animation, you could use the F-Curve option for UV to make the animation go in reverse.

oriongates

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That's good to know, but I was mainly thinking of the full-scale multinode effects. Just wondering if there was a basic way to run it in reverse.

Lion Blade Soler

Autistic Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That's good to know, but I was mainly thinking of the full-scale multinode effects. Just wondering if there was a basic way to run it in reverse.
Unfortunately, when it comes to particles and not to sprite sheets, I don't know how to make the animation go in reverse for an implosion effect. At least, not yet! Considering how powerful Effekseer is, I do believe that there may be a way to create an implosion effect with particles on Effekseer. It's possible that the F-Curve may be one option (if not, the best option) to help you achieve the effect that you want as the F-Curve gives you a lot of freedom on controlling particles in comparison to the other options.

Nemojbatkastle

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Curious if anyone else has had an issue with this. I have an animation sheet full of pixelly goodness and I can get the animation to play just fine following these instructions. Problem is, I can't get the blend mode to do what I want. When I use 'additive' it's still semi-transparent, despite the fact that I want solid colors. If I do 'blend' it's the colors I want, but there are all these heavy shadows and boxes of black around the image I don't want there. Halp...

Lion Blade Soler

Autistic Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Curious if anyone else has had an issue with this. I have an animation sheet full of pixelly goodness and I can get the animation to play just fine following these instructions. Problem is, I can't get the blend mode to do what I want. When I use 'additive' it's still semi-transparent, despite the fact that I want solid colors. If I do 'blend' it's the colors I want, but there are all these heavy shadows and boxes of black around the image I don't want there. Halp...
To be fair, even the animation system from the RPG Maker programs that came before MZ (particularly, from VX through MV) had a similar challenge. Normally, Additive does make sprites look less solid (or semi-transparent, using your words), which was why I pointed out that Blend works better for solid objects (like ice and rocks). The Additive option is more useful for lights, fires, and other objects that tend to have semi-transparent look. Having said that, the Blend option for Blend shouldn't be an issue. The only option for Blend that tends to be problematic to me is the Opacity option as that option does create shadows and other unwanted stuff around the sprites. My suggestion is for you to make sure that the Blend is not set at Opacity, because if the Blend was/is set at Opacity (especially by accident), then you should set Blend to the Blend option right away. When it comes to the Blend option for Blend, there should be nothing surrounding the sprites (like shadows).

Nemojbatkastle

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
To be fair, even the animation system from the RPG Maker programs that came before MZ (particularly, from VX through MV) had a similar challenge. Normally, Additive does make sprites look less solid (or semi-transparent, using your words), which was why I pointed out that Blend works better for solid objects (like ice and rocks). The Additive option is more useful for lights, fires, and other objects that tend to have semi-transparent look. Having said that, the Blend option for Blend shouldn't be an issue. The only option for Blend that tends to be problematic to me is the Opacity option as that option does create shadows and other unwanted stuff around the sprites. My suggestion is for you to make sure that the Blend is not set at Opacity, because if the Blend was/is set at Opacity (especially by accident), then you should set Blend to the Blend option right away. When it comes to the Blend option for Blend, there should be nothing surrounding the sprites (like shadows).
Whoa, that's exactly what was happening. Thank you, Lion! :D

Something's not quite right though. I had to take screencaps and realize the image is still kind of blurred together. There are quite a few frames in this animation, I'm going to try one with fewer and see if I have this same problem.

Last edited:

Obipandawan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Since the RPG Maker MZ uses Effekseer as a tool for creating animations I thought I'd start this topic (If there is eventually an official forum created for this then please feel free to close this topic).

I've never heard of this program before and never even created many particle animations before (aside from two), this is going to be a learning journey. Ask questions, show tips, tutorials, your own experience and time using this program.

Currently downloading with the question that can this program be used to create pixel style animations, all previews I've seen show fancy animations with blurred particles all that show stuff. Can people create something in say GraphicsGale/Aseprite import that and create animations that way.

Effekseer for Runtime - What does this download mean/do?

Effekseer for DXLibrary - What does this download mean/do?

Link to download Effekseer
Everytime i try and download this my Antivirus flags it as "Infected web Page"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

@wrigty12 hi! thanks for showing interest in my work. Sadly the tablet I'm using broke, so I wasn't able to create anything for weeks. Got a new one with display, I'm still not used to it though, so I'm still practicing, doing basic drawings again. Also I'm in my last year of college. Thesis, projects and other activities takes most of my time ;_;.
I'll get back to it whenever I get a free time.
Any artists here planning on participating in the Inktober art prompts this October?
It's right around the corner.
It's rpg maker related so I'll post it here, I worked on a little free rpg maker zine and this was my piece. Play Grimm's Hollow if you haven't already, I liked it a lot. (i don't remember if posting a link to a product even if free is allowed via profile posts, so if anyone knows lemme know)

Suddenly arrived to work and got the pink slip on a contract O_O wait, did i forget something??? (sobbing in corner rn)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MVMS