Efficient way to have 2+ characters on the map, talking and acting simultaneously?

kn1000a

Golden Vampire Flandre
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hello, I've played plenty of RPGM but one thing I notice is that devs don't usually have characters acting simultaneously.

What I mean by that is for example, the player's party has 4 people including MC. Follow mode is off. Now, how would you enact a scene where all 4 characters are on the map?

The simple way would be movement commands in one event. Actor A walks out, then Actor B, then Actor C. One by one. Step by step like any compiler would.
But what about simultaneously? What about having all 3 of them walks out from the Player all at once?
I am thinking of implementing it as 3 parallel process events with some kind of trigger, each has the movements and actions of that Actor. But 3 events for just one scene? Do you think this is efficient for the engine?

What is the actual common practice for implementing scenes with multiple character at once? Do devs like to put them all in one event and follow a step-by-step basis, or do they have multiple events, each controlling each character, and each communicating in some way to one another (I would imagine this increases the number of switches and variables usage too, meaning more load on the engine...).

fluffymonster

She's So FLUFFY!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I believe a parallel event would work well. Set a movement route for each event and uncheck the wait for completion. You will probably need a wait event after the related movement events, though. (I mean after all of them)

Shiro-chan

Friendly Neighbourhood Neppy Maid
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
If I understand you right, you don't need to do any of this. You just have to define as my move routes as there are chars, so one each, and only the last has Wait ON, the others have Wait OFF. From what I heard you cannot, however, have multiple text boxes open at once.

Roninator2

Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
What is the actual common practice
I don't think there is an actual common practice. There are many ways to do some common things.
What Shiro-Chan said works.
Have one event and move routes for all the events you are using as 'characters' and perform the movement with only the last one with the check box wait for completion checked on.

There are scripts that do follow control and I think message boxes over the followers.
You can also use a script for multiple text boxes or Gab windows.

essentially what you are doing could be considered a cutscene. A point where you are controlling the action and not the player.
You can do this in many ways.
I myself do it this way...

Gather followers
have events for each characters you are using in the scene.
set the events location
turn transparency on (hides the player)
do move routes on events (through on)
play text messages

and then carry on until the scene is completed.

kn1000a

Golden Vampire Flandre
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I don't think there is an actual common practice. There are many ways to do some common things.
What Shiro-Chan said works.
Have one event and move routes for all the events you are using as 'characters' and perform the movement with only the last one with the check box wait for completion checked on.

There are scripts that do follow control and I think message boxes over the followers.
You can also use a script for multiple text boxes or Gab windows.

essentially what you are doing could be considered a cutscene. A point where you are controlling the action and not the player.
You can do this in many ways.
I myself do it this way...

Gather followers
have events for each characters you are using in the scene.
set the events location
turn transparency on (hides the player)
do move routes on events (through on)
play text messages

and then carry on until the scene is completed.
I would like to know more about this Gather Followers command.
What exactly does it do? Create events of the party member? IIRC move routes only work on events on the map, and party members aren't events unless I create them.

fluffymonster

She's So FLUFFY!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I would like to know more about this Gather Followers command.
What exactly does it do? Create events of the party member? IIRC move routes only work on events on the map, and party members aren't events unless I create them.
You would need to create events for your party members. I believe Gather Followers just make them go into your body, but you can test out what it does on a test map.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Ami
--- Currency ---

Hero: This city cannot accept Gold to buy the items.
Merchant: You can exchange Gold into TC,depending the rate of TC this time.
Hero: Really? Then,i want to exchange 999999999G.
Merchant: Let's see……Wait a second,are you Cheating again?
Hero: Hell No!!! I earn it with myself!!!
There's always a time when you're super excited to create something but you already have no energy left. :I
I think of all the effects in my game, the light passing through fog has got to be my favorite....

...Also I spent all day trying to figure out how I had suddenly messed it up and made it start dropping frames like crazy. So I had all day to look at it... mocking me... with it's previous 60fps reduced to 30fps... At least it's fixed now.
Dalph wrote on slimmmeiske2's profile.
Slimmm, we should team one day and make "Reid in Wonderland" or "Aluxes in boots".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
optissima