English
Primarily Uses
Fortress:

Surrounds the party in four thick walls of ice, protecting them from harm:

Fire rate: 200%

PDR: 60%

MDR: 60%

Toxin:

Lowers the targets parameters for the duration of the fight and adds a slow poison:

ATK, MAT, DEF, MDF, AGI reduced to 60% effectiveness and -4% HRG

Exposure:

Paints the target in a hot white light, exposing them to status ailments and making them the prime target:

TGR: 100%

175% rate to status ailments

MDR: 150%

Arin

Tonight...we dine...in-oh a piece of candy!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Fraglspock
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sure, I'll bite.

When I was working on my project one day, I got the idea of replicating some of Diablo 2's Necromancer Skills, which are some of the deadliest Spells when you put many points into them. At the time, I wasn't clever enough and didn't know enough about eventing to do Iron Maiden (similar to Thorns), but I did manage to do something close to Life Tap and Decrepify.

Life Tap: -7% HRG, [Absorb] * 200%.

I ended up using this status ailment cleverly enough with a boss battle that ends up draining the HP of your entire party with a spell, and if you aren't prepared, can do lots of damage.

Decrepify: AGI 0%, ATK 50%, DEF 0%, Atk Speed -999

In the old game, Decrepify basically made you slower, weaker, and you took more damage from Physical attacks. Not much else to say here.

Quigon

electric boogaloo
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I have one in Blood Shard that some enemies can inflict on you, but I haven't named it yet xD

It basically swaps a party member's stats with an enemy's. Meaning a boss can throw it on you and give you like 1000s of HP, but it also updates as the enemy as hit. So while you're hacking away at a boss, the party member's HP is also dropping, and as you heal your member it also heals the boss.

Deep Thought

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Impalement

Actually a side-effect of an extremely powerful but inaccurate attack. (Remember how Sephiroth murdered Aerith?) It leaves the victim immobile, inflicts slip damage, and increases vulnerabilities. Basically, if the attack itself didn't kill you, the Impalement would finish you off or put you in a position to be finished off. Only the final bad guy was supposed to use it, however.

I also like assigning different types of poison different effects.

Matseb2611

Innovate, don't emulate
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
These are a couple of ones I made for one of my previous games:

Oil:

A character gets covered in oil (overwrites the water state)

Damage rate from fire 130%

Damage rate from cold and plasma 70%

Water:

A character gets covered in water (overwrites the oil state)

Damage rate from fire 70%

Damage rate from cold and plasma 130%

muramasa

Abomination of life, or life itself.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
I don't know which of these is actually interesting/innovative, mostly because the (theoretically) less common ones are rip-offs from FFVI. So let's start.

Death, Dry - incapacitation states for 0HP, 0MP respectively.

Frozen - Special incapacitation state. Can be cured from being targeted by fire skills.

Poison, Dimensional damage, Burn, Cold, - % Damage each turn. Weakness to earth, gloom, fire and ice respectively.

Bleeding, Vertigo - 1 damage each time ATB updates (HP and MP respectively). Also weak against physical and wind respectively.

Purify - %MP dmg each turn. Weakness against holy. Raises magic power a lot.

Regen - %HP recovery each turn. Raises recovery effectiveness.

Stun - Vanilla. Stun makes characters weak to thunder though.

Slow, Fast, Double - Slow halves ATB gain. Fast doubles it. Double gives you an extra turn.

Reflect - Bounces magic.

Guard - Guards weak allies from anything.

Superguard - Guards any ally from physical attacks.

Unblockable - Overrides evasion, guard/superguard/reflect or pretty much ANYTHING, assuring your hit ALWAYS hits.

Those are the least vanilla states from my game I think,

Orochii Zouveleki

omen613

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Got bored one day and brainstormed ways to turn Magic the Gathering abilities into RPG Maker. For some of these to work, all battlers would have a color associated to them: Red, Blue, Green, Black, White.... and for some of these to work both "teams" would have shared resources of MP (example. if one battler uses MP it takes it from all allies MP if one battler gains MP all allies gain MP as well) and X amount of MP is restore to your team each turn automatically.

Battle Cry - When this battler attacks all its allies get an Atk bonus till next turn

Defender - this battler can't use the attack command

Double Strike - Attack 2x

Exalted - when a battler attacks it gets +Atk and +Def for each ally with "Exalted" status

Flying- This battler can only be attacked by an enemy with flying or reach

Haste - Evasion bonus

Shroud - Immune to magic

Intimidate - can only be attacked by battlers that share a color with you OR attacks ignore evasion to battlers that don't share the same color as this battler.

Lifelink - When battler attacks, it gains life equal to the damage it dealt

Protection from a Color - Can't be attacked by a battler of the chosen color and immune to magic of the chosen color

Reach - can attack a flying battler

Trample - Damage dealt to an enemy is dealt to all its allies as well OR over kill damage is spread to all allies

Counterspell - Immune to next magic effect the battler is targeted by then fades 

Regenerate - Till next turn, if the battler would die it comes back to life with % of HP

Tap - target can't attack this turn or use abilities (stun)

Absorb - Prevents X damage dealt to this battler

Bloodthirst - when another battler dies, this battler gets +X attack and +X Def

Bushido - counter OR gets a ATK and DEF buff when it gets attacked OR Both

Champion - battler transforms into another battler

Changeling -the battler is all colors

Convoke - you can "Tap" (stun) X allies to make a spell cost X Mp less

Conspire - you can "Tap" 2 allies that share a color with a spell to copy it

Cumulative upkeep - to maintain a certain Buff you lose X Mp each turn...when you can't pay the MP...the buff fades

Death Touch - When this battler attacks it has an X% chance of killing the target

Wither - when this battler deals damage, the target loses X MP

Draw - This battler's attacks drains enemy's MP

Dredge - pay X HP to revive a fallen ally

Delve - spells costs X MP less for each Dead battler

Echo - spells costs 2x MP

Flanking - when this battler attacks, if the target doesn't have flanking, it gets an Atk and Def debuff for 1 turn

Haunt - when this battler dies something happens

Horsemanship - this battler can only be attacked by other battlers with horsemanship

Indestructible - This battler can't go below 1 hp

Kicker - Cast this spell, then drain all remaining MP you have, this spell does an extra effect for every X mp you lost

Modular - this battler starts the battle with a buff and when it dies another battler with modular gains it's buff

Morph- this battler starts the battle as a colorless battler with no abilities except Morph. Once you morph you turn into the real battler

Offering - to use this spell you have to sacrifice X allies

Phasing - This battler either returns or leaves battle at the start of the turn

Infect - when this battler deals damage the target gets a debuff to Atk and Def

Soul Shift - when this Battler dies gain X MP

Splice - Cast spell A, then every time you cast another spell..it is followed by a casting of Spell A

Split Second - this spell can't be countered

Storm - this spell is cast X times where X is the number of other spells cast this turn

Sunburst - gets a buff of X where X is equal to the number of colors on your team

Hellbent - something happens to this battler when you have 0 MP

Radiance - targets all battlers of a chosen color

Threshold - This spell can only be used X turns into battle (like a warm up timer)

Lure - all battlers have to attack this battler till next turn

Fading - after X turns this battler dies

Unblockable - this battler's attacks ignore evasion

Enchantment - A buff or debuff that effects all battlers till this effect is destroyed.

Disenchant - Destroys all enchantments

Affinity - Spell costs X less MP for each battler that shares a color with it

Persist - when this battler dies, it comes back with 50% max hp cut buff..if it dies with this buff again, it doesn't come back.

Ninjutsu - everytime this battler evades an attack something happens

Rebound - when you cast this spell, you can cast it again next turn for 0 mp

Suspend - Cast a spell but it doesn't go off till X turns from when it was cast

Totem Armor - A buff, when battler dies it comes back and loses totem armor

Transmute - sacrifice this battler to gain X MP

Devotion - this spell can only be cast if you have X of the chosen color battlers

Evolve - if this battler is struck by a battler with a passive ability (ex: Wither) it gains that ability

Prowl - if this battler attacks a sleeping target something happens

Vigilance - you gain an extra X Mp each turn

Unleash - battler gains an attack buff but their evasion goes to 0

Wow list got long real fast.... hope this draws inspiration for someone at least.

Last edited by a moderator:

muramasa

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
@omen613: Man, you just remembered me how cool is Magic.

Asdf,

OZ

kerbonklin

Hiatus King
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Shadow Blend

Hides the user from attacks and boosts their next attack by 50%-worth of damage. The state ends if 3 turns pass or that user uses any attacks.

TGR *10%

ATK *50%

MAT *50%

And every skill in my database is set to remove this state from the user after being used.

Soul Feast

Passive that causes the person with it to recover 10% of their max HP after an enemy dies. (troop events)

Probotector 200X

Probotect and Serve
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
@omen63: I've thought of a couple of those before, but specifically for fangames...It's hard to transfer rules and mechanics from one game/genre to another, but gosh is it fun to try. I especially wanted to try Totem Armors out, because it's just Auto-Revive, plus other benefits (atk, mat, def, mdf boosts, plus some other effect, like, say if you wanted Hyena Umbra, then change your atk speed to +999 or whatever, for first strike!)

I don't remember exactly, but my first custom state I made for a PC Maker was Frost Shield, a buff that boosts your defense and magic defense slightly, and made you half ice damage.

Well, for VXAce though, I haven't really made that many original states!

Here's a few from my first Ace project:

Adaptability

Evasion + 10%

Magic Evasion + 10%

Experience Rate + 10%

It's a self-buff used by the robot character.

Hotfoot

HP Regen -5%

Fire Rate + 110% (take 10% more damage from fire)

Agility * 90%

Evasion -5%

It's a state that burns the enemies feet a little.

I'd like to use a script that lets you use formulas for damage states, so it can be fire elemental damage, which is multiplied by floor damage rate.

Earth Barrier

Earth Rate * 75%

Defense * 125%

Guard Effect Rate * 125%

It's an Earth themed buff that makes you take less damage from Earth attacks, boosts your defense slightly, and increases your guard effectiveness slightly.

Those all use lower numbers mostly because they are early game effects. They haven't been tested much so I'll probably adjust the numbers later at some point.

CWells

Storyteller/Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Speaking of guard effect rate, and there are some nice examples in this thread, does anyone feel like the normal guard rate is pretty high? I mean, it's almost like a barrier itself! Where can I go to slightly adjust that?

Hesufo

Homu!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
Let's see... Since my main project is based on a class system with a plethora of skills to learn, I've devised quite a couple of states. For example...

Last Vanguard

Grants a 75% chance to resist a potential KO with 1 HP. Lasts 1 turn.

Resistant Souls

Any damage the unit receives that would get them below 25% HP is capped at that percentage. Lasts 1 turn, as well.

Radiance

A self-inflicted state, used by a certain Class. While it lingers, it can trigger secondary effects for spells. For example, the class's spell Light Emission deals non-elemental damage to a single target, but if the user has Radiance, it will trigger a second burst that deals non-elemental damage to all enemies.

Cluck Cluck

The unit enters a frenzy, and may attack allies or enemies, just like confusion. However, the state increases Attack by 10% and makes the actor attack three times, so it's kind of a gamble, because it's also a self-inflicted state.

Concentrate

A buff state. Increases Attack and Magic Attack by 1/3 and Critical Rate by 10% for several turns, but reduces Defense and Magic Defense by 2/3, leaving the user extremely vulnerable.

Crippled

Doubles the success rate of Instant Death, Paralysis and Stun on the affected unit. Meant to combo with other abilities in order to control or dispatch stronger enemies quickly.

I'm always looking for more interesting states and effects so I'll keep an eye on this thread I guess. :D

Tai_MT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I just have one that's fun and I enjoyed using.  It does nothing really that special.  It's an instant kill attack that exists solely for the reason of delivering flavor text.

Immolation

HRG -100%

Removal after turn end.

"(target) was immolated!"

It then results in the game throwing the "Death" status on you after that.  Sure, I could have my fire spells inflict the Death Status immediately, but it's just not as much fun without the whole "the enemy was immolated!" text along with "the enemy is dead!" afterwards.  I have two other "flavor text" states like that in planning as well for other Skills in the game.

So, does a "flavor text" state even count towards a "unique state you've come up with"?  Ha ha.

CWells

Storyteller/Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
You can have it Tai XD.

One more I really like because it aids my characters physical skills:

Brilliant Breath

The party will generate 7% of TP for 4 turns. So you're getting 28 TP points along with whatever you get from normal attacks, guards, and damage received.

muramasa

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
Immolation

HRG -100%

Removal after turn end.

"(target) was immolated!"

It then results in the game throwing the "Death" status on you after that.  Sure, I could have my fire spells inflict the Death Status immediately, but it's just not as much fun without the whole "the enemy was immolated!" text along with "the enemy is dead!" afterwards.  I have two other "flavor text" states like that in planning as well for other Skills in the game.

So, does a "flavor text" state even count towards a "unique state you've come up with"?  Ha ha.
For me that kind of details makes a game stand out. The same occurs with Earthbound. A lot of people (including myself) love it because of how resources were used. And by resources, I mean dialogues, audio... good lord, EB's audio is the kind of things this world needs more!

Be careful though! Do you have any other state that affects HRG? Like a regen state. It could make it net like 90% or so, meaning no flavoured insta-death. Making either the skill or the state remove any regeneration status would do the trick (if you haven't done so, if you already did just ignore this xD).

Uh, that's all, just wanted to comment :X,

Orochii Zouveleki

PD.: Oh, right, more states. Some from RomaSaGa, duck I love that game! And another one is from a Pokémon ability (AND FFVI's Celes Runic).

Self Burning (and Thorn Skin) - Deals fire damage (and earth damage for thorn skin) to any foe that touches your character (any physical skill).

Revivifier - This is the skill's name from RomaSaGa, but anyway. It's FFVI's Reraise/Life3: when a character dies, it resurrects instantly.

Mirror skin - Reverts absorption effects.

Thunder Rod - Absorbs any thunder spell and turns it into MP.

Tai_MT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
For me that kind of details makes a game stand out. The same occurs with Earthbound. A lot of people (including myself) love it because of how resources were used. And by resources, I mean dialogues, audio... good lord, EB's audio is the kind of things this world needs more!

Be careful though! Do you have any other state that affects HRG? Like a regen state. It could make it net like 90% or so, meaning no flavoured insta-death. Making either the skill or the state remove any regeneration status would do the trick (if you haven't done so, if you already did just ignore this xD).

Uh, that's all, just wanted to comment :X,

Orochii Zouveleki

PD.: Oh, right, more states. Some from RomaSaGa, duck I love that game! And another one is from a Pokémon ability (AND FFVI's Celes Runic).

Self Burning (and Thorn Skin) - Deals fire damage (and earth damage for thorn skin) to any foe that touches your character (any physical skill).

Revivifier - This is the skill's name from RomaSaGa, but anyway. It's FFVI's Reraise/Life3: when a character dies, it resurrects instantly.

Mirror skin - Reverts absorption effects.

Thunder Rod - Absorbs any thunder spell and turns it into MP.
I don't have enemies that can cast "regen" states.  The only regen states I even have in my game are tied to a single character and they're not that good (only something like 3%).  Enemies can simply heal themselves, but never have Regen.  There is no equipment that gives you regen either.

Most of the healing in my game is done simply with items you purchase (so my players actually have to spend their money and don't just accumulate millions of GP and never spend it) and most of the monsters are robust or tough enough that adding regen to them would make them more difficult than they have to be.  To even get regen on a character in my game requires you to change how one your skills works in order to take it. 

So, my "Immolation" skill does work pretty well.  Oh, and monsters can't cast spells that cause Immolation either.  It'd be hard to explain how a character gets immolated and then resurrected from ash.

omen613

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@probotector

Yeah its fun to brainstorm it up. Magic is fun because there is not such thing as a perfect setup, every build has a weakness of some sort.

First strike could easily just be a modified counter effect that hits first instead of after.

Example

Battler A has first strike, Battler B attacks Battler A, Battler A Counters battler B for damage, if battler B is still alive after taking the hit, then battler B hits battler A.

overlordTNT

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The oddest state i made was Determination. It was for a specific class, the Divine Avenger. Now this state made you immune to death, 2% chance to be removed with damage, but if it went away, you had to get your health over 90% to get it back.

Ultima01

Unhinged
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I have three of them actually.

Deprave (buffed version of a Disgaea status of the same name)

• ATK, DEF, MAT, MDF, AGI, and LUK * 50%.
  • Gain no experience.
  • Lasts 3-6 turns.
Grief

• MCR * 200%.
  • Makes certain skill types unusable for duration.
Abyss (the real doozy)

• A move that causes a field effect in the form of statuses to both sidesNeither side can land a physical attack for 4-6 turns

Optimized

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
Similar to Diablo 2 holy shield

State that adds 25% blocking chance, 25% damage reduction and 25% defense

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I always thought I was just really, really bad at communication, then the internet proceeds to say "lol no".
Almost 100,000 Threads! We should make a celebration. Make a 100K logo? :p
Cursed problem: Multiple language switches. Say, you want to switch to EN language from JP but you have no idea where the language switch in JP menu language.
Tonight I'm finally going to start putting the dungeons my team has made on grid paper into the engine. That's the final step of making the game world.
Yay! My new Doomsday machine..... er... "Heroic" machine is ready!
//pushes button :LZSexcite:
Uh oh what's that rumbling?!
// Game explodes :kaoback:
That's the fourth time this week! :kaolivid:
// Gets to work building next "Heroic" Machine. :LZSskeptic:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bwabwa