Eh why not: Post interesting states you made here

Probotector 200X

Probotect and Serve
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Some new states for my main Ace project.

Chem Burn (Chemical Burns):

HRG - 5%

REC *50%

PHA *50%

It's just a poison variation that halves the effectiveness of healing and items. But it's for more modern/futuristic enemies, that burn you with chemicals instead of poisoning you, or burning you. It doesn't wear off, you need to cure it with items or skills.

Toxic:

Atk State = Toxic (100%)

HRG -20%

EXR  *50%

It's a contagious double strength poison that also halves your experience rate! I was working on a toxic waste facility and thought of making some kind of spreading toxic junk state. Doesn't wear off, need items or skills.

Mummy

REC *0%

PHA *0%

Don't know if this one really makes sense, it was the first thing that came to mind though. Getting "mummified" (not embalmed and stuff) makes it so you can't be healed and your items have no potency. This also doesn't wear off, you need items or skills.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A

HRG - 5%

REC *50%

PHA *50%

It's just a poison variation that halves the effectiveness of healing and items. But it's for more modern/futuristic enemies, that burn you with chemicals instead of poisoning you, or burning you. It doesn't wear off, you need to cure it with items or skills.

Toxic:

Atk State = Toxic (100%)

HRG -20%

EXR  *50%

It's a contagious double strength poison that also halves your experience rate! I was working on a toxic waste facility and thought of making some kind of spreading toxic junk state. Doesn't wear off, need items or skills.

Mummy

REC *0%

PHA *0%

Don't know if this one really makes sense, it was the first thing that came to mind though. Getting "mummified" (not embalmed and stuff) makes it so you can't be healed and your items have no potency. This also doesn't wear off, you need items or skills.
These are really neat. I like the idea of having area exclusive status effects. It makes a lot of sense hen you think about it.

GrandmaDeb

Modern Exteriors Posted!
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Oh ha - did a community game.

Attacks were things like "troll attack" and "double poster" and defenses were thing like "mod intervention" and "Admin Ban Hammer"

So states were things like "Unable to Post" and "Posts in Moderation"

lol

arekpowalan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Stressed: Cannot attack normally.

Staggered: Cannot use physical skills (as opposed to magical skill banning 'Mute')

Total Stun: Can't act at all, and can't be healed until the battle ends. (Used as a battle condition, such as a character becoming scared out of his wit to fight.)

Curse: Every stat - 50%

Bleed: HP damage, ATK and DEF - 30%, becomes bleed+ if taken another hit.

Bleed+: HP damage, ATK and DEF - 60%.

Void: MP damage (as opposed to 'Poisoned')

Last edited by a moderator:

Probotector 200X

Probotect and Serve
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
These are really neat. I like the idea of having area exclusive status effects. It makes a lot of sense hen you think about it.
The trouble is, I looked back at some stuff, and forgot that I have a slime enemy with an attack called Toxic Ooze (adds Poison, not Toxic), in the first dungeon! And there's a weapon called Toxo Blaster...(it adds Poison, not Toxic) Oh well, names of skills and most weapons are easy to change.

But ultimately I do want several status effects that are mostly exclusive to an area or two. The game's world has multiple layers after all (more than one world map) with variety of settings on each. Fighting fantasy monsters, dinosaurs, and robots...There's just gotta be extra work involved with states too.

bikourbow

Warper
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
I've only made one notable state that comes to mind. That is the "Hidden" state I added in for my theif and mage characters. The implementation was merely that attacks would always miss and in some cases the character with this condition would have double agility and dexterity, or when using rm2k3 dexterity cannot be applied. I would provide different levels of sneak skills that were available to the non warrior classes but only up to the "2nd tier" of the Hidden state.
The character or actor would be able to inflict the Hidden state on themselves using a skill subset called "sneak" I'll refer to the different Hidden states as "tiers"
I used 4 different tiers which vary in effectiveness and benefits and are inflicted on the caster depending on the power of the Sneak "spell" or skill that's being used.

here are the tiers of the hidden state:

HIDDEN 1- double agility, all enemy attacks miss and equipment cannot be changed for 4 turns with a 25 percent chance to recover each turn
HIDDEN 2- same as above, +lasts for 7 with a 20 percent chance to recover each turn
HIDDEN 3- same as above, +double dexterity + lasts for 9 turns with a 20 percent chance to recover each turn
HIDDEN 4- double agility, double dexterity, all emeny attacks miss and equipment CAN be changed for 12 turns with a 10 percent chance to recover each turn

I wouldn't suggest leaving the numbers in the name of the tiers and of course you could span out how rewarding the states are over more tiers.
i only went up to 4 but you could spread these effects over 10 tiers probably if you want to.
In rm2k3 I have implemented this in a slightly different way.
It would be great to use some sort of animation of the chacacter being stealthy or crouching when afflicted by the Hidden state.

Fernyfer775

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Elemental Weakening: Any time a character lands a critical hit, the enemy becomes weak to that element for 3 turns, increasing consecutive damage they take from said element by 50%.

Fester: Deals base attack damage by default and is increased by 0.5x for every state/debuff on target. This is the strongest spell in my game but has a 3 turn cooldown and takes a few turns to build-up to maximum potential.

Winds of Agony: If the target has any negatives on them when this expires (at the end of the turn), those states are then spread to all other enemies. 

Recklessness: Enemies use this on your party: Doubles the attack power of the target, reduces their defense to zero, and makes them uncontrollable for 2-3 turns. When in this state, the party member can attack both their allies and/or the enemy party.

Skull Crack: When afflicted with this state, the target has a 30% chance to "forget" what they were doing and do no action at all (think Paralyzed from Pokemon).

Vox Novus

Knight of Whispers
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Well from the game I'm working on now I made a chanting state (inspired by Tear Grants Chants in tales of Abyss)

The chanter uses a chant which acts like a spell, such as applying a healing over time effect (regen if your a final fantasy fan), however since the ability only is supposed to work while the "caster" is chanting a chanting state is applied which prevents action by the user for the duration of the chant. Since the user in my game is basically a mage and has low physical defence I made it that in exchange for sacrificing an action for three turns their physical defense is boosted by 25% while chanting.

It makes it so the using a chanting skill has two functions at times, one being the actual effect of the abilty and another being protecting the chanter from a foe that has high physical atk.

Leah Prime

Intermediate Eventomancer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Man, like 60% of  my states are just there to controll the enemies actions.

I did come up with a state from the enemy stinging you with a nerve toxic tentacle.

Basically stuns you for 1 turn, but half's any damage received during that time, effectively forcing the user to guard

the next hit.

The kicker is that one enemy who only attacks every second turn can inflict the state alongside dealing significant damage.

Forcing you to guard on the foe's rest turn.

Braydon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses

HRG - 5%

REC *50%

PHA *50%

Toxic:

Atk State = Toxic (100%)

HRG -20%

EXR  *50%

Mummy

REC *0%

PHA *0%

You shouldn't make your status effects last forever, it limits strategy as it becomes mandatory to clear these effects right away or be continuously punished hard. If you have a limited duration it adds strategy as people have to decide wether or not it's worth using a cure or if they should try and outlast it. You don't want to have a status effect that just becomes a mandatory use of a turn to cure or it will wind up dragging it out.

I'd have an exception maybe for the one that stops using items and other less powerful imediately harmful ones.

Probotector 200X

Probotect and Serve
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
You shouldn't make your status effects last forever, it limits strategy as it becomes mandatory to clear these effects right away or be continuously punished hard. If you have a limited duration it adds strategy as people have to decide wether or not it's worth using a cure or if they should try and outlast it. You don't want to have a status effect that just becomes a mandatory use of a turn to cure or it will wind up dragging it out.

I'd have an exception maybe for the one that stops using items and other less powerful imediately harmful ones.
Well, I haven't tested them much. I adjust stats more often that I thought I would in projects. There's still a strategy involved with these kinds of status effects.

1. Take the pain!

2. Use up an item asap

3. Use your strongest skills to defeat the enemies as quickly as possible to reduce the amount of damage you take

4. Try to run and heal up?

Braydon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Well, I haven't tested them much. I adjust stats more often that I thought I would in projects. There's still a strategy involved with these kinds of status effects.

1. Take the pain!

2. Use up an item asap

3. Use your strongest skills to defeat the enemies as quickly as possible to reduce the amount of damage you take

4. Try to run and heal up?
Taking the pain from something like that toxic without it ever ending automatically is really not an option... It's going to turn down to either using a heal or killing the enemies really fast, and most the time one of those will clearly be better than the other so it will only really be one choice... Unless you can run very easily but that takes the strategy out of everything if running is reliable.

Jeneeus Guruman

The Returnee
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Full Block: Drastically reduces damages from all incoming attacks until the afflicted battler's next action. Sometimes also receives no damage if the defenses are high enough.

Life Sapper: Converts a quarter of afflicted battler's attack damage to HP. It's more like making the damage type of all damaging skills to HP drain.

Soul Sapper: Same with Life Sapper but with 5% of the damage to MP.

Double Cast: Self-explanatory but instead of choosing 2 spells to cast, the user will only choose 1 spell but it will cast twice while the state is present. It's only exclusive to spells.

Mana Shield: All damages received by the afflicted battler will be converted from HP damage to MP damage and decreases them to 10% of the total damage. Automatically wears off if the afflicted battler's MP is 0 even if the attacker is not yet done dealing damage, especially if the attacker is doing multiple hit combos.

NOTE: All of the above states have a target scope only to the user. Also all of them, aside Full Block, are customized via script.

Ed19

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Empty
Primarily Uses
N/A
I'm not sure about these how to work on without scripts , these are only ideas.

I've requested Bloodlust and Angry Mind's scripts before, so I'll definitely use them.

* Bloodlust : Increases ATK by 10% upon receiving physical attacks. Capped at : 100%.

* Angry Mind : Increases MATK by 10% upon receiving magical attacks. Capped at : 100%

* Revenge : Increases user's ATK & MATK by 10% x (The total of fallen allies).

* Wound : The user's maximum HP will be reduced by 10% per turn. Maximum at : 50% reduction.

*Grenade : When the marked unit dies, he/she will explode and damaging all allies.

*Guardian Shield : Limit maximum damage received from physical attacks/skills by 10 damage.

*Piercing Aura : Nullify Guardian Shield and deals 500% damage against users with Guardian Shield.

Darkfire1408

Novice
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Bloodletting:

A brutal dark magic in which the user drains their health to regenerate their MP.

It adds the state bloodletting which gives -20% HP regen and 50% MP Regen. it lasts for 5-7 turns.

So if you don't heal, it will kill you. However, the huge MP Regen will allow you to cast higher level spells turn after turn. I've been debating whether or not to add a MAT Buff to it. I think the ability to cast multiple high level spells makes up for it though.

Beserk:

I haven't made this yet but it's an idea I'm toying with.

Your ATK raises by 100%. However, you must use your basic attack skill. No spells, no guard, no items, I'm not quite sure how to go about that though.

ookami_lord

Best Lemon in the world
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
portuguese
Primarily Uses
N/A
I acutally use this one:

DRunk:

Attacks party members and loses 8%HP and MP every turn.

Chaos Avian

Abyssal Wing
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I have 2 rather basic ones, but still quite interesting.

Bloody Stigma:

Attack Element: Dark

ATK * 175

HRG - 10%

This boosts your ATK while adding Dark energy to your attacks, initially inspired by Cecil's Darkness from FF4 (DS version), but I take it a step further since the user of this skill can cast it on other allies not just himself. Plus when combined with a certain attack of his, this state becomes deadly.

Double Up:

ATK * 200

DEF * 0

This doubles the user's ATK and ditches defence entirely for a number of turns. Completely reckless but pair it with Bloody Stigma noted above and you can reach deadly heights. High risk high reward, though this state is self inflictive.

jonthefox

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Don't know how interesting these are, but:

Bleeding:  slight decrease to all stats, degen 5% max hp, lasts 3 turns

Wounded:  moderate decrease to all stats, degen 5% max hp, lasts the remainder of battle

Critically Wounded: major (50%) decrease to all stats, degen 5% max hp, lasts until cured.

Dazed:  stunned for 1 to 2 turns

Stunned:  stunned for 2 turns

Knocked Out:  stunned for 2 to 3 turns

The idea is that when you are inflicted with one of these states, you become more prone to be inflicted with the next one.  The 3rd tier is obviously very debilitating, making any encounter life-threatening if it ever gets that far.  

Near the end-game, high-end monsters will have a chance to inflict tier 2 states straight away, and bosses will have a chance to inflict tier3s.

Benja

Lead Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Target, makes enemies more susceptible to physical damage

Gemini, makes your character only able to attack physically and loses defense, but you can attack twice and your attack is doubled

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Don't know how interesting these are, but:

Bleeding:  slight decrease to all stats, degen 5% max hp, lasts 3 turns

Wounded:  moderate decrease to all stats, degen 5% max hp, lasts the remainder of battle

Critically Wounded: major (50%) decrease to all stats, degen 5% max hp, lasts until cured.

Dazed:  stunned for 1 to 2 turns

Stunned:  stunned for 2 turns

Knocked Out:  stunned for 2 to 3 turns

The idea is that when you are inflicted with one of these states, you become more prone to be inflicted with the next one.  The 3rd tier is obviously very debilitating, making any encounter life-threatening if it ever gets that far.  

Near the end-game, high-end monsters will have a chance to inflict tier 2 states straight away, and bosses will have a chance to inflict tier3s.
That's a really good mechanic, It encourages curing status effects quickly and equipping resistant equipment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Woke up on an awful nightmare of being banned here because some mod didn't liked me in a super-heroes freeform round robin RP where I used throwing normal hammer as power and it was qualified being too OP. XD Nice to read you all guys. Will not wait next nightmares.
Staring at all the RPG Maker versions I have and realizing that my project has been a long time coming. But, I finally feel like I have the knowledge and experience to make it into something good.
We're almost done with the jam game! :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewshetty123