EIS Game Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Intro:

A plugin that allows the developer to create in-text information.

This plugin creates the ASK system like in the game Wild Arms 3.
It allows you to select text within a message window, and ask about that word or phrase.

Version: 1.03

ChangeLog:

• Small fix for multiple windows without clearing the list of words.
  • Deselecting text is now done using the cancel button when a window has special keyword text.
  • When you reach the end of the input, it goes back to the original starting position (first word in the list)
  • Indexes are no longer zero based, so the first word would be KR.AskManager.isWordSelected(1).

Features:

• Movement controls inside a message window
  • Selecting text within a message window
  • Activating conditional branches based on selected text.
  • Option to remove brackets, and proper selection rectangle with other text codes.
  • You can have multiple windows one after another with a lot of definitions and still access them the same way.

For example: One window with 1 word, and another with 2 or three after (The selection rectangle will adjust to the words in the following window).

Instructions:

1. Install the script with the same name: EISASKSystem.js (default name).
  2. Have fun!

Video

/* Setup - Creating Context Word / Phrase
* To create a context word use:
* \ASK[ Word or phrase you want to ask ] within the message window.
* These words can then be selected with the arrow keys.
* Right / Down advances the pointer, left / up moves backward.
* Functions
* KR.AskManager.isWordSelect(index)
* -Each word is indexed from 0 to maximum words in the plugin once it appears in
* a message window. You can then assign them to game variables to do conditional
* branching. This function checks if the word has been selected or not.
* Example: KR.AskManager.isWordSelected(0)
* KR.AskManager.clearWorldList()
* - This script call clears the world list. This is to give the developer
* better control over when the word list should be cleared. For example,
* to evaluate the conditional branch after the word once the message window
* closes.
* Example: KR.AskManager.clearWordList();
*/

Setup Example Windows:

Setting up ASK in event window:

AskSystemScreen1.png

Passing selected information to control variables:

AskSystemScreen2.png

Clearing the word list before exiting the event window:

AskSystemScreen3.png

In-game screenshots

AskSystemScreen4.png

Please download the attached file to use the plugin.

View attachment EISAskSystem.js

Credits:

Free for both commercial and non-commercial use.Credit with the name Kino or EIS.

Thanks:Thank you to anyone who decides to use this script; I appreciate it!

If there are any bugs/issue, please contact me via message on the forums. I want to try and make the script as extensible/flexible as possible, so if you have an ideas also

please message me.

Enjoy ~

Last edited by a moderator:

Lionheart_84

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
Good idea!!! beautiful !!! :D I Said a real fan of Wild Arms Series !!!  :D :guffaw: BD

Kino

EIS Game Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks! Wild Arms 3 is one of my favorites. I really liked the Ask system, and a few other systems in the game.

Hopefully the plugin is beneficial ~

I was thinking about creating a couple other systems; I like the personal skills attached to summons.

Lionheart_84

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
Yes, I admit that the ASK system on the dialogues was something original !!! sin has occurred only on the 3th chapter !!! the personal skills attached to summons ??? WOW !!!

It was very easy and convenient !!! if you can ... you're a genius !!! Have you ever thought to Medium System of 5th chapter ???

Kino

EIS Game Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The Medium system in Chapter 5? I remember golden mediums.  I did  enjoy the personal skill system that was attached to summons. 

One of the most interesting ones is personal  skills, since you could equip skills / passives.

What I'd create first is items with skills to represent  like mediums.

Harken_W

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Very useful plugin, Thanks! :)  

Ilan14

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
This plugin looks amazing! But just one question, when you're presented words or phrases to choose, is it possible to choose none of them, and just keep the default dialogue going?

Kino

EIS Game Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You can by just advancing text with a simple  mouse click. 

You can also advance with cancel.

In fact, thanks for that,  I'll input a way to disable the text selection to advance text as usual, and other interesting  pieces.

Lionheart_84

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
The Medium system in Chapter 5? I remember golden mediums.  I did  enjoy the personal skill system that was attached to summons. 

One of the most interesting ones is personal  skills, since you could equip skills / passives.

What I'd create first is items with skills to represent  like mediums.

Yes, great idea !!! to summon 3 for each character !!! Of course, it would summon 12 ... with 12 animations !!! ... and tell me you have something already in mind ??? You know how to recreate the 12 medium ???

Ilan14

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
You can by just advancing text with a simple  mouse click. 

You can also advance with cancel.

In fact, thanks for that,  I'll input a way to disable the text selection to advance text as usual, and other interesting  pieces.

Thanks for the answer! And you're welcome! :p

Kino

EIS Game Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks for the answer! And you're welcome! :p

Very welcome;
Due to the way, window message works -- at best, pressing cancel will advance text as normal. Also, There should be no crashing when advancing the cursor forward and backward. The text color codes can be applied, among other codes without the rectangle stretching. 

You can also disable the brackets. @Ilan14

Yes, great idea !!! to summon 3 for each character !!! Of course, it would summon 12 ... with 12 animations !!! ... and tell me you have something already in mind ??? You know how to recreate the 12 medium ???

I'm thinking about it, but I don't know if it will come to fruition now. I'm thinking about making a kind of player helper script, like Navi from Legend of Zelda. @Lionheart_84

I also appreciate it @Harken_W! Hope it helps you out.

Lionheart_84

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
I'm thinking about it, but I don't know if it will come to fruition now. I'm thinking about making a kind of player helper script, like Navi from Legend of Zelda.

Ah ok, see you, hopefully good !!!! :D  but so good you are, surely something good will come out !!! ;)

and tell me, for your other idea of Zelda, how it would work ???

Excuse the question ... is it different version 1.01 ???

Kino

EIS Game Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yes, the new file has been updated with the new changes. It is version  1.01 now.

Perr_

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Korean
Primarily Uses
Awesome!! This is exactly what I wanted :D

Anyway, can you make this function?; When you press B button while you activate text selection, it does not advance dialogue but deselect.

Thanks for making this awesome plugin :)

Kino

EIS Game Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'll see what I can do; it will change how window message works just a little bit.

James Vermont

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Are there any video tutorials on the ASK system, because I'm still struggling with getting it to work. 

Kino

EIS Game Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
No video tutorials on it, but tell me where you're struggling and maybe I can help.

The in-game screenshots provide some examples of conditional branches. Right now, I'm creating a plugin for the lore window. @James Vermont

jobar

WonderLang
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
french
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi Kino, could you upload a demo for the ASK and Lore system? I am too struggling to have them work.

Kino

EIS Game Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
A demo project? I can put something together. By the way, easier to contact me through the EIS Plugins post.

jobar

WonderLang
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
french
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yes, that is what I meant. Just a small demo projectthat shows to plugin commands in an event.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I realized I kinda have a habit of making threads and sometimes not thinking them through. I should work on this.
TeamEdel.png

Realized halfway through drawing this that the female protagonist's party is growing bigger. :guffaw:
oddly enough, at this point... 3 major things have kept me from porting my project to MZ... animations, and that's mainly because they don't match the artstyle of my game. and two... I NEED a YED Sideview Battler like plugin and I have yet to see one. 3rd, I don't have the money for all the stuff I need plugin wise. and I already have it on MV... lol
Generally speaking, would there be interest in some form of tutorial regarding general project management? I see there are a lot of indie/self-taught devs around here, and looking back i feel like there was a lack of resources on how to properly manage a project that might take several years to finish
I've been working on some ABS team A.I. for 'A New Suburbia', and thought I'd share.

I'm generally quite please although the AI is a little grenade heavy right now :rolleyes: - Sneaking and stalking next! Please excuse the terrible map... it was just for ease of viewing!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shiratsuyu