florodude

Crucible Gaming
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hey, I hope this request would be simple for somebody who knew what they're doing. What i'm hoping for is a plugin that would change the color of the damage number text during the battle to reflect the element that was used for the damage. If you're feeling extra creative, the ability to add an icon to that damage would be huge. Thanks so much in advance for considering this!

florodude

Crucible Gaming
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I'm wondering at this point if this plugin is easily possible. Apparently text for damage is converted to bitmap? Does anybody even know if element is stored in game result?

Another Fen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Hey there,

I can't really help you with a plugin currently unfortunately, but if nothing else helps you could try a somewhat tedious workaround by using variables and event message codes in your damage text:

So for example you could change the damage message to include a color-change:
%1 took \c[\v[20]]%2\c[0] damage!

And abuse the damage formula of the skill to set variable 20 to the correct color:
v[20] = 10; ( original damage formula here )

(Generally it's recommended to use $gameVariables.setValue(10, 20) over v[20] = 10 though)
Edit: The workaround is based on the RMMV, and I can only hope it works in MZ too^^

Last edited:

florodude

Crucible Gaming
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
You may be on to something! Thank you!

wrigty12

Just a QAer playing with Javascript
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I think I remember that you can grab element data of the item/skill used when creating the damage. If so, this could be quite an easy plugin to make. I can take look this afternoon.

Are you using any plugins that effect elements, like Visustella Element Core that may allow skills to have several elements?

(Not on my desktop while replying, thus I can't actually verify yet)

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D aka "Staf00"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think I remember that you can grab element data of the item/skill used when creating the damage. If so, this could be quite an easy plugin to make. I can take look this afternoon.
I believe what you're looking for is if (this.getItemElements().contains(x)) where x is the element ID. I use it for armor scaling to detect dmg type, but u can use it for this too.

wrigty12

Just a QAer playing with Javascript
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Okay!

Give this a shot. I've played with it a bit on my own game, but I want to make sure it works the way you want.

I added the ability to change the text color, as well as include an icon to the right of the damage popup. I consider this in "Experimental" development, so if you find things wrong let me know. Otherwise I'll consider releasing this in a more public manner.

EDIT: Found and fixed 2 new bugs

Attachments

• TDW_ElementColoredDamage.js
    7.9 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Today is the day! I will be productive in game dev work! I will - *gets distracted by cat playing with her toy mouse* Awww <3
Whelp. I tried to be productive.
Decided to work on Fandom Scouts today. I've decided that instead of using the generic "scrolling text" event that MV has (I'm using MV for FS, not MZ) I'll use the movie option. I'm still trying to find a way to get Premiere Pro to output the compatible format though. If anyone can give me some help, it would be greatly appreciated!
Barthdry wrote on tln143's profile.
Hello tln143 Welcome to the RPG Maker Forum. We wish you enjoy and make good rpg games
Barthdry wrote on 00cassiesmells's profile.
Hello 00casiemells Welcome to the RPG Maker Forum. We wish you enjoy and make good rpg games
Remember guys: Drink water and workout is important too! Don't stay too much time on the PC working! :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corporal_Siva