Jachan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Sign Language
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I have coded and worked just great... until I start test to have one cast magic which should be 100 but instead it dealt halved due to Element Rate: 50%.
How do I get that be seperated between "element damage" and "element resistance" which resistance should be 50% while damage remain 100% with same element for both?

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
You can't by default, as element rate only affects how much damage spells of that type do to you when you are hit by those spells. You would need a plug-in to have something affect how much damage elemental spells of a certain type do.

Moved to Plug-in Requests as this will take a plug-in to do

Jachan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Sign Language
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh okay.
Then... Yanfly's Element Core? But I have looked in it and it's pretty familiar to this? Unless I am overlooking somewhere in that plugin of his?

Jachan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Sign Language
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Bump since it's over 72-hours.

Please, I need to know this so I can continue to test the battle with this special battle mechanic of mine with more accurate of elemental attack / defense. =(

caethyril

^_^
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
EN
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Element Core only really affects how multiple elements combine and allows for negative rates. If you want a state to boost skills of a particular element, I'd suggest Yanfly's Buffs & States Core plugin. Maybe try a notetag something like this on your "half magic" state:
Code:
<Custom Confirm Effect>
if (this.item().hitType === 2) {
  value /= 2;
}
</Custom Confirm Effect>
What I think this should do is check whether the skill is of "Magical Hit" type (i.e. a magic skill) and if so, halve the skill result (e.g. 100 damage becomes 50).

If you wanted to check the skill's element, maybe try this instead:
Code:
<Custom Confirm Effect>
if (this.item().damage.elementId === 123) {
  value /= 2;
}
</Custom Confirm Effect>
Just replace the 123 with the ID of the element (as listed on the Types tab in the database) for which you want to test~

Jachan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Sign Language
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you... but I think that's not what I mean to ask.

I really mean to attack NORMALLY. Let me give you an example to imagine. Hope you are too familiar to FF7's Materia system because this is almost same as it is.
- Hero has everything normal (100% pure health, no boost-ele or resist-ele either... Just pure health as if you just start play a new game)... Only except just one thing for the test run which equip fire (or ice in my case but for this, let's go with fire) resistance (50% off) on his armor
- Enemy has same as above, except to test-attack Hero with fire attack (either types).
- No RNG or variable or anything that would adjust damage around, just a direct damage without calculate enemy's def/mdf... So, if i write 100, the damage will be always exactly 100. When enemy attack with fire, hero resisted it to "50" which is a success... And I tried to have hero do cast fire back (for fun), his fire damage should be 100... and yet the taken damage on enemy said "50" instead.

In other word, it have nothing with the bonus damage... Just wrong method to calculate of Element Rate trait (default in MV, not Yanfly's Element-Core even though I am using it for this materia-like system anyway).
Yes, I did checked on enemy - he is pure non-elemental as hero (naked) is. He should take it the normal damage instead halved.

caethyril

^_^
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
EN
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
So you're saying the attacker's element rate is affecting how much damage they do? That's not intended, at least with the default MV mechanics. :kaoswt2:

Does the enemy take half damage if you remove your hero's element rate trait?

If you haven't already, check that your Yanfly plugins are in the order listed here: http://yanfly.moe/yep/

If you're using play-test, start a new game, don't continue from a save. Also make sure you save your project after making any plugin changes, otherwise battle-test may have unexpected results.

Could you post a list (or a screenshot) of all plugins you're using?

Jachan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Sign Language
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sorry for late reply.

No offense but... I did mentioned Yanfly plugin earlier up here (my second post from start), which I have actually used it to adjust the elemental resistance. Also, the plugins are already in the same order as it is.

And like I said, it's fixed "direct damage" which it should be 100 fire damage to bat that does NOT resist the fire element but it took 50 instead.
And you can't remove element-rate trait when equip the fire-materia on resistance-equip slot.
But I will try it again but this time, no fire equip on resistance-slot and see how it goes.

caethyril

^_^
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
EN
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
No offense but... I did mentioned Yanfly plugin earlier up here (my second post from start), which I have actually used it to adjust the elemental resistance.
And, as I mentioned, the attacker's element rate is irrelevant to damage calculation, with Yanfly's Element Core or with no plugins. Maybe I'm missing something or we are misunderstanding one another somewhere...should I leave this for someone else to answer? :kaoswt:
And like I said, it's fixed "direct damage" which it should be 100 fire damage to bat that does NOT resist the fire element but it took 50 instead.
As I have already implied, I cannot reproduce this. In a v1.5.2 project with no other plugins I gave an enemy no element rate traits, cast a no-variance 100 damage fire skill on it, and it took 100 damage. When I gave it a 50% element rate trait vs fire, it took only 50 damage. As expected, giving the caster 50% Fire element rate caused no difference in the damage dealt to the enemy in either case. Repeating all four cases with Yanfly's Element Core yielded exactly the same results.

Without further information there's little else I can offer.

Jachan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Sign Language
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Okay.
Still stand-by though. I am doing something else at moment and unable to test this, so... yeah. Please wait and see if I can get it worked by test all multiple possiblities to learn.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Who's a fan of firearms? The 5 on the bottom row (not including the green laser ones) I made pretty recently. I plan for most of these to be in my project.

Screenshot 2021-09-28 165924.png
Doing RPG Maker News for 28th September 2021

RMMV - Skip script errors:

For game developer testing purposes.
You know, I really get to farm likes since I post all of @Avery and @hiddenone 's blog tutorials on the forums...
Back from a very long hiatus with a new project woo
This is my battler placeholder image trying out art styles too I want to fake a backview battle system
I think I will want portraits and battle sprites to be 2D and stick to pixel art for overworld not 100%sure but pretty sure its easier to make pixel art for overworld sprites, events and maps and stuff.
Placeholder.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythphnx