Elemental weapons in dungeons

Discussion in 'Game Mechanics Design' started by radajin, Apr 5, 2016.

1. LightningLord2

LightningLord2 Psionic Bird Thrower Veteran

First Language:
    German
    There are several reasons I can think of why you would find water/ice weapons in a fire-based dungeon:

-Some other adventurer failed some/a long time ago, who was carrying the weapon you loot off of them.

-There's a lake within the dungeon, which belongs to a water spirit whose home was invaded by the fire monsters. They'll give you that weapon so you can help fighting them off.

-The dungeon is a mix of fire and ice (like Hailfire Peaks) and you use weapons from one segment to advance in the other.

-The boss of the dungeon is of the fire element and put up a guardian to prevent the ice/water weapon from being used against them.

2. Menos

Menos Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I think it depends at least in part on your intended audience. While many gamers will focus on the immediate use of equipment, you might be surprised how many will also care about finding fire swords in fire dungeons - if you're setting up a world that is supposed to make sense under its own rules. If you're getting consistent negative feedback, maybe that's not the right choice for this game and audience, but that doesn't mean it would be the wrong choice for all future games.

radajin likes this.
  3. radajin

radajin Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Yeah, i think i found a way to do the majority of my common elemental weapons through crafting now, but i'm planning on leaving lore specific weapons in locations that make sense, like the legendary salamander a great sword said to be guarded by a powerful fire spirit. stuff like that.

Thanks for all the feed back guys, i know this will help more then just my game.

4. M.I.A.

M.I.A. Goofball Extraordinaire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    To be frank, I aim to keep weapons/armors mostly element free. They lose their appeal when there's a Fire Sword.. AND an Ice Sword.. AND an Earth Sword.. AND a Lightning Sword.. etc.

That being said, usually when I DO incorporate elemental weapons, they are limited to one type. Flame Sword only.. no Flame Dagger.. Flame Staff.. Flame Knuckles.. etc.

I also prefer to use them as rewards when they will also be more helpful. So instead of leaving the Flame Sword in a chest at the beginning of the Ice Cave.. I will place it as a drop items from a miniboss in the Ice Cave that you discover via exploration (not story). That way the player is rewarded for EXPLORATION and for WINNING the miniboss battle..

and I will usually place this battle somewhere toward the "middle" of the Ice Cave. That way when the player wins the reward, it makes their journey through the rest of the Ice Cave easier.

Also, with all of this, I tend to "underpower" my Elemental weapons and armors. So a standard Sword might have a +10 ATK and no element, the Flame Sword will have a +7 ATK with a fire element. So it's usefulness is specific to certain locations and mobs.

I'm rambling.. haha. I hope you find this helpful. :)

5. captainproton

captainproton Dangerously Nifty Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Another method would go like: 

*The Wossname of Fire has been captured by the Evil Fire Guy!  Oh noes!

*Gosh, party members, what do we do?

*Hey, remember that sea witch we saved in chapter one?  Maybe she some sort of water weapon we could use.

*To the Warp Thingy!

radajin likes this.