Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Hebrew
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Good day, all. I hope this is the right place to post this:

I'm using RPG Maker VX Ace and I'm trying to make an elevator:
1. The player press the button to call the elevator.
2. the elevator door opens.
3. the player take a step or two from the elevator button and into the elevator.
4. the player is transferred into the elevator map.
- If the player doesn't enter the elevator in a few second, the doors will close and the player will have to press the button again.
5. In the elevator: the player choose which floor they wants to go to.
6. the player get to the floor they want and are in front of the elevator.

How should I event this?

Heirukichi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
You have different ways to handle this. The one I recommend would be using a parallel process to handle the elevator door.

1. The player interacts with the button to call the elevator. A switch is set to true and a variable is set to N (N is the number of seconds the door should stay open times 60, aka the number of frames the door should stay open). In the same event, create a move route for the elevator door to let it open.
  2. When the switch is set to true, the parallel process runs (I recommend it being the second page of your button event). The parallel process subtracts 1 from the variable each time it runs. If the variable becomes 0 or less, turn off the switch and start a move route to let the door close.
everything else is just proper usage of basic transfer events and show choices, if you have trouble with that part I strongly recommend reading the tutorial in my signature as it contains a lot of useful information that can help you in the future.

EthanFox

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
As you've had some good advice about how to do it above, I would make a small recommendation - consider simplifying it, and just having them press the button and select a floor. In NALE, I originally did something like this for Nina's office elevator, but in the end I removed it and just had the view fade-to-black, then play relevant sound FX before loading the next floor map.

I just suggest this because for most players, the distinction will not be important (unless you have a game mechanic which somehow uses it) and it's much simpler to do.

kiriyubel

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Hebrew
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I decided to take EthanFox's advice and simplify things.
Heirukichi and EthanFox, thank you very much for your replies.

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
If your query is solved, please report your post and a moderator will close it. Thank you.

hiddenone

Lurker Extraordinaire
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV

This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

That moment when you post the wrong download link to your game and wonder why it got so few downloads... :mad:
Trying to make it so my map is cleared of "random" events after the player leaves the map... to little success >.<
Had my first interaction with a legit homophobe concerning one of my games today. Tempting to engage, but pointless.
The BIGGEST immersion breaker for Sword Art Online is that Kirito keeps finding overpowered playstyles using "bad things nobody uses cuz its bad". Players WILL use bad gear BECAUSE it's bad.
When I said I'd make 20 games in 2020, I scared myself. Now it's mid-February, and I've made 6 games. So I got this. But, then again...do I got this?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fit2def