Eli Map Reveal - Reveal the map as you walk!

Eliaquim

Hakuen Studio
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese - Br
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Author: Hakuen Studio

Introduction

• Inspired by the game Fatal Labyrinth for Mega Drive, I have created this plugin that can cover a map and let the player reveals it as he moves!

Features

• Cover the tiles marked by regions with a 48x48 image of your preference.
• Can choose the regions that will do the cover.
• Player can reveal these tiles as he moves!
• Set the range, in tiles, that the player is able to reveal when he moves(through a variable value!).
• Set the revealing type to square, diamond, linear, or region!
• There is a special reveal type "OneRegion" That only reveals the player's region! All other ones stay covered!
• Can reveal or hide regions at once.
• Can hide and reveal tiles by coordinates too!

How to use

• First of all, create an image with the size of 48x48 and save it in the system's folder. Then set it on the plugin parameter "Cover Image".

• Choose a default value for the revealing type in the parameters:
• Square - Reveal the tiles with a square range.
• Diamond - Reveal the tiles with a diamond range.
• Linear - Reveal the tiles in a straight line range.
• Region - reveal all tiles in a region at once.
• One Region - This is a special type that will only reveal the player's region tiles.
When the player leaves this region, it will cover that and reveal the other that the player has moved in.

• Choose a variable to hold the range value, in tiles.

• You can also change the visibility parameter to reveal tiles instantly(toggle) or using a fading effect(That I made just for fun).

• Paint your map with regions in the place you want to be covered. As the player moves, he will reveal the tiles based on his range value.
You can use only one region if you want, but using more will make it easy when you want to reveal or hide one specific place.

• Finally, set a note tag in your map if you want it to use the cover feature: <CoverMap> (It's not case sensitive).

• You can use plugin commands to cover/reveal tiles by coordinates, event positions, and regions.

NOTE¹: For now it's advised to use only with tiles 48x48 and resolutions divisible by 48.

NOTE²: After 80x80 covered tiles, sometimes I had experienced fps drops.
That does not mean you cannot use it on a map with more than 80X80. It means that maybe you will have fps drops with more than 80x80 tiles painted.
It will also depend on the machine running it.

Update Log
Version 2.0.1 - 12/25/2020
- Fixed an error when initializing the valid regions when it has only one region in the plugin parameter.
Version 2.0.0 - 12/21/2020
- Adapted to work with Eli Book 3.0.0.
- Hopefully, the fade visibility mode will properly work now with the Reveal form "Cover One Region" and "Cover Region".
- Add a parameter to set a minimum value for the reveal range.
- Performance improvements.
Version 1.1.0 - 12/01/2020
- Add a feature that events can also reveal/cover the map.
Version 1.0.0 - 11/05/2020
- Public release!
Version 0.1.0 - 10/06/2020
- Beta release!

Last edited:

Finnuval

World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This looks like a very fun and useful plugin. Thank you!

seaotter

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Chinese
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
error ,can't to use... at MZ
剪貼簿-1.png

Eliaquim

Hakuen Studio
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese - Br
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
error ,can't to use... at MZ
View attachment 166816
Hi!
That is probably because you don't have EliMZ_Book.js installed. Or you have it, but is not above the Map Reveal.
You can download it here.
But try to hit F8 or F12 and send me a print screen of the console tab too.

seaotter

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Chinese
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hi!
That is probably because you don't have EliMZ_Book.js installed. Or you have it, but is not above the Map Reveal.
You can download it here.
But try to hit F8 or F12 and send me a print screen of the console tab too.
I downloaded and installed two plugins and added <CoverMap> to the map annotations, but nothing happened after testing the game

where can download a demo let me to see how to run this plugin ?

Elgigante94

PROJECT 1
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French, Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
It's me of Brazil is counting every day more and more excellent developpers??

Eliaquim

Hakuen Studio
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese - Br
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I downloaded and installed two plugins and added <CoverMap> to the map annotations, but nothing happened after testing the game

where can download a demo let me to see how to run this plugin ?
Hi!
You can take a look at my Itch io page to see how to get the demo(in my signature)
Did you put the cover image in your system folder?
Did you paint the map with the regions specified on the plugin parameters?

It's me of Brazil is counting every day more and more excellent developpers??
- Thank you friend! ^^

seaotter

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Chinese
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hi!
You can take a look at my Itch io page to see how to get the demo(in my signature)
Did you put the cover image in your system folder?
Did you paint the map with the regions specified on the plugin parameters?

- Thank you friend! ^^
Download
This Sample Project MV & MZ is currently unavailable

Eliaquim

Hakuen Studio
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese - Br
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Download
This Sample Project MV & MZ is currently unavailable
Yes, but you read the description of the page? xD
I can't talk about this here(forum rules), that's why I send you to my page on itch io to take a look.

And about the other questions, that I asked you?
Did you read the plugin help file?

seaotter

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Chinese
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Yes, but you read the description of the page? xD
I can't talk about this here(forum rules), that's why I send you to my page on itch io to take a look.

And about the other questions, that I asked you?
Did you read the plugin help file?
need pay ?

Eliaquim

Hakuen Studio
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese - Br
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Version 1.1.0 - 12/01/2020
- Add a feature that events can also reveal/cover the map.
event reveal.PNG

Beregon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Looks interesting. Would it be able to mimic the "Fog of War" effect found in many strategy games? Meaning, previously revealed tiles outside the visibility range of the player/specific event would grow darker in color and events located on those tiles would not be visible? Preferably specific events.

Eliaquim

Hakuen Studio
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese - Br
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hi @Beregon !
Can you show me a video or image from a game that is related to what you talk about?
Do you mean that the tiles outside the visibility range of the player will always be dark? So if they are revealed, when the player move and his visibility range no long can see those tiles, they will be covered(dark) again?

Beregon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hi @Beregon !
Can you show me a video or image from a game that is related to what you talk about?
Do you mean that the tiles outside the visibility range of the player will always be dark? So if they are revealed, when the player move and his visibility range no long can see those tiles, they will be covered(dark) again?
Here's the wikipedia article on it with a screenshot:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fog_of_war#In_video_games

As you can see there, the black area is the unexplored area of the map that needs to be revealed. The clearly visible parts of the map there are areas that are in the visibility range of the player's units and cities. The areas with visible terrain with a dark tint are previously explored areas that are outside the visibility range of the player's units and cities, in the so-called fog of war. The enemy cities and terrain in that area are still visible, but units aren't.

To translate this more into an RPG Maker context, let's say Reid has a visibility range of 3 tiles around him. Whenever he moves around the map, he reveals the map, but the previously explored areas outside his 3 tiles vision range are tinted a darker color, shrouded in the Fog of War.

Let's say the map is a dungeon with doors, treasure chests and wandering monsters that trigger a battle if they touch the player. He would see the terrain in the areas in the Fog of War, albeit tinted a darker color. He would ideally also see the door and treasure chest events, because those are immobile. But he would not see any of the wandering monsters until they entered his immediate 3 tile vision range.

This could be combined with something to scroll the map (I think that could be evented easily) and utilizing the default mouse controls to make an RPG that's more in the style of, say, Divinity: Original Sin 2 or Pillars of Eternity, where you can scroll the map freely and the player character moves to the place you click.

Eliaquim

Hakuen Studio
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese - Br
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Oh! I got it now!
Well, I believe I can implement sometging like that. Bu I will jot add to the main plugin, I will try to make an add on with this feature! Thanks for your suggestion! ^^

Calamitous Magic

Calamity
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Like seaotter I am having no luck with this. I have purchased the two required plugins and installed them in the correct order. As soon as I put the <CoverMap> note tag in it causes an error:

Screenshot 2020-12-16 140019.png

Also, I do not understand the instruction "Choose a variable to hold the range value, in tiles." and so I have not put anything in the corresponding Parameter - which I assume to be: Range value(by ID). Is this the problem and if so can you explain that clearly?

Eliaquim

Hakuen Studio
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese - Br
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hi @Calamitous Magic !
Let's try to figure that out ^^
Well, I have tried here with a clean project, only with EliMZ Book and EliMZ map Reveal and it worked fine, even if I don't set a variable Id for the range value.
I believe the problem is a compatibility issue with VisuMZ_1_SaveCore.js.

In that case, there is nothing I can do, because their code is obfuscated, which means that I can take a look at him and see why the error happens and try to fix it.

Can you try changing the order in the plugin manager? Put the visu above or below my plugins?

Also, I do not understand the instruction "Choose a variable to hold the range value, in tiles."
It means that you have to use a variable to setup how many tiles the player can reveal when he walks.
Like if you choose variable ID 1 and set its value to 5, means that the player will reveal 5 tiles around him when he walks.

Calamitous Magic

Calamity
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Eliaquim, thank you for your prompt reply. I have been trying this in a project that I use for testing things out, so it does have a lot of superfluous plugins in it. I will try turning off the SaveCore and see how I go from there. I probably don't need it anyway and I would really like to get yours working as hiding rooms is something I would like to be able to do.

Regarding the variable to reveal tiles - I am mainly interested in the One Region reveal, so do I understand correctly that the variable does not apply there?

Thank you again

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

After hearing Wataten's opening several times and knowing what this anime is about, I don't think I like moe anymore.
So I am working on a big DLC package for my game.... and it will add a new intro and extend the ending of the base game, while of course adding additional content to the game... Yeah, that should work! lol
I'm stuck, I'm making some of Mr. N's Dialogue but I can't finish his full Dialogue...heres what I got now [this is the part I'm stuck on] "You treat me like a
bug, I'M SICK OF IT, you had me make these...abominations...well, now..." and at the "Well, now...' part I'm stuck at, anyone got Ideas?
Ami
--- Top Up ---

Merchant: Diamond Sword cost 100 Diamonds
F.Magic Knight
: I don't have Diamonds,what should we do?
M.Knight: I don't have any choice,i have to Buy Diamonds with my Card
F.Magic Knight
: You do?
(M.Knight's Balance Just Have 1.25)
M.Knight: (Chuckle) Maybe,later…

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arsene04