Ellye's ATB (also includes CTB option)

Discussion in 'JS Plugin Releases (RMMV)' started by Mellye, Oct 24, 2015.

1. Xelion

Xelion Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Hi, I liked your plugin, it's really useful and seems to work perfectly with other plugins..

Some suggestions that would be nice though I understand your idea was to make a simple ATB and probably not a complex one:

- Possibility to select colors for the bar (can't check now but I'm almost sure there was no config for that)
    - Sound when the bar fills (I think some if not most of the Final Fantasy games have this)

- Random ATB fills when starting battles (same as above, some if not most of the Final Fantasy games start with random fills so even a slow character may have his turn first)

kennysaurs likes this.
  2. Mellye

Mellye Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    One more update today:

• Added support for Preemptive and Surprise attacks (I'll build more upon those later).
    • Added a parameter to set starting ATB (based on Agility and Agility Weight).

Those are all good suggestion, I will likely implement them! Thanks.

Edit: I've added the random ATB option.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2015
    DigWallace, SOC, djDarkX and 2 others like this.
  3. Xelion

Xelion Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Awesome, thanks! Will check the updates later when I'm at home 

4. Mellye

Mellye Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    By the way, my initial idea was to release the more "complex" version of this plugin as a separate one.

But I've been thinking, it would be more practical to maintain it as a single plugin.

I'm just not sure if the amount of parameters it would end up having could be a bit overwhelming.

I'm imagining that as long as the default values still result in a easy, plug'n'play, experience, it would probably be fine?

Or perhaps I might go the Modules route and release the optional parts as separeted Modules.

Kistulot likes this.
  5. Magni

Magni Villager Member

First Language:
    French
    Oh yes, very cool option, works fine, thank you !

-It is possible to have, like Yanfly's plugins, a text with the version in the plugin manager (1.01, 1.02...) ? Just to be sure to have the last version (I just c/c the code with Brackets but I think it will be great with this for everyone).

-Like somebody asked before, a sound when the ATB gauge is complete ?

-When we are in the turn of an actor, can we have the ATB gauge continue to grow up ? For now, it just stop. I think the battle will be more "alive" with a system like this ^^

I think you can keep one single plugin (imo) :)

6. dragoonkain

dragoonkain Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    I think building it with modules is a really smart idea. If you approached it from that mentality, it could make it so that other plug-in developers could potentially extend it/expand upon it too. 

djDarkX and Mellye like this.
  7. Xelion

Xelion Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    It would be nice yeah, to have a version number with every update to be sure one has the last version.

I think it should be fine on a single plugin. As you say, if the default values are okay (probably most of the optional things come disabled as default, for example), I don't think it would be overwhelming for anyone. If they don't understand, they can simply leave everything as it is.

8. Lionheart_84

Lionheart_84 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Italian
    Questions about the color change depending on the status and the sound of the gauges when full, I 've already made ​​in the previous posts ...

but the author did not tell me if they are feasible !!!

9. atreyoray

atreyoray Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Hey, Ellye.

At line 200, wouldn't it be better to be

(!battler.canMove())instead of(battler.isDead())So that is also checks if the battler is under movement restricted states (that include death/knockout), like stun, sleep or paralysis. We don't really want the ATB to increase when the battler is under states like these.

To implement Hmind's request (on battlers stepping forward to input commands), it's kind of easy if you're using YEP - Battle Engine Core, because of these methods:

battler.spriteStepForward()battler.spriteReturnHome()Use the first one right before the input phase, and the second is automatically used by the system.
    You can check if YEP's Battle plugin is being used if you use

if (Imported.YEP_BattleEngineCore) {    battler.spriteStepForward();}However, by doing so, if there are two or more actors with current AT higher than full AT (it happens quite often), both will step forward.
    If you're interested on implementing this, I've already found a way to counter this issue.

Also, if you're using extra state overlays (there's a plugin here on the forums), you can make a high priority "placeholder" state that does nothing but shows an overhead arrow overlay (maybe with an animation!) on the top of the actor that is ready to input a command. (I've already done this! It looks awesome!).

Mellye likes this.
  10. Mellye

Mellye Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Yeah, it's about time I started using a version number (and displaying it on the Plugin Manager). Will do that!

Sorry, it is possible!

I'll be adding a custom "Haste" property to better handle speed ups and slow downs, and it will visually affect the AT guage color.

dragoonkain likes this.
  11. Mellye

Mellye Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    There's one issue, though - depending on settings, a Stun-like status might only end after the character "spends" an "action". If he never gains ATB, he will never have an action, and therefore nver be cured of the status effects.

One options that I thought about is to make the ATB visually appear empty, but actually be filling up as normal behind the scenes.

I'll probably end up re-writing almost everything regarding how status effects are handled, to make them more compatible with ATB. They are causing a lot of issues as is.

Edit: ops, double posted by mistake.

Point08 likes this.
  12. djDarkX

djDarkX Retro & Remastered Music Guru Veteran

First Language:
    Music
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So, updated to the new version.  Everything seems pretty tight, but since that changed my settings for my gauges, I wrote extra parameters for keeping those values in case it updates later on (and I can just copy/paste the new stuff into your plugin).  See what it adds:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Since I didn't want to add more to your workload, I did decided to add it in myself. ^_^

If you want the new parameters and settings, you can grab it here.

Mellye likes this.
  13. Mellye

Mellye Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Now I'm really wishing the Plugin Manager would allow us to make "Parameter Groups" to better divide and organize them, so that I would just parametrize everything (one possible approach is to have "corner-case" or "advanced-users-only" parameters be set in the old school style of variables that need to be manually edited, easily visible at the beginning of the plugin code) --- I mean, to avoid bloating the Plugin Manager too much (since there are quite a few other gameplay and UI related parameters that I'm considering adding).

djDarkX likes this.
  14. djDarkX

djDarkX Retro & Remastered Music Guru Veteran

First Language:
    Music
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I agree.  The best way for now, though, is just to separate them with a simple ----------- like Yanfly does, this way people can see the different sections and just worry about the settings they want.

Mellye likes this.
  15. Lionheart_84

Lionheart_84 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Italian
    Ok ... thanks for taking into consideration my ideas ...

and you can do that the gauges changes color while charging ability ???

EX : in ff x-2 the gauges from green became violet while loading a powerful skill ... here you can do ???

16. Mellye

Mellye Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Yep! Skills with casting time are part of what I'm going to implement, and they may have a different color while charging - sounds like a good idea to visually represent it.

17. SOC

SOC "God is my Judge" Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    [​IMG]
    This is about as perfect as I could ask for. I love the customization options you've provided mechanically, and definitely the visual options djDarkX has provided! Be sure to include his work in all your future updates, please! And please include version numbers and changelogs to your first post when you update, I would very much appreciate it.

I would also like to request the actors to be flashing slowly when it's their turn, so it's easier to know who's turn it is by looking at the battle scene instead of the bottom menu. Kind've like how Yanfly's engine shows the enemies you're targeting flash on the screen.

djDarkX and Mellye like this.
  18. Kistulot

Kistulot Easily Distracted Writer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Either option feels like it has potential. Making it more modular allows people to use only sections of it as they see fit, but it being all in one makes it easier to update, maintain, etc. So it's really a matter of which you prefer from what I can see.

No matter what you do I know I'll be following this project :)

Mellye likes this.
  19. SOC

SOC "God is my Judge" Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I guess something I could ask more about is if you could include "Final Fantasy Dimensions" or even FF6-8-9 style ATB battles, where after you choose your action, the character has to wait an additional time (whereas in Dimensions you can see how much time is needed for the action as the ATB gauge-refills in a different color, like someone suggested earlier from FFX-2 but I've never played X-2 so I dunno how it works there) before doing the action, applying to even normal basic attacks (even if it's very small). This would allow for more tactical gameplay and let more of "preparation" animations show, especially with magic!

Example of what I'm talking about:

Mellye likes this.
  20. Mellye

Mellye Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Yup, the casting time system I'm going to add can cover this - since every sort of battle action in RM is a "skill", you'll be able to have "casting" times set up for everything.

And then you can set up some of those to be "interruptible" or "delay-able"; those can be particularly useful to spice up some some boss fights or even common enemies.

Making the area show as a different color in the ATB is a nice touch, thanks for the idea.

SOC likes this.