Ellye's ATB (also includes CTB option)

Discussion in 'JS Plugin Releases (RMMV)' started by Mellye, Oct 24, 2015.

1. Mellye

Mellye Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Don't worry, as soon as I started creating this plugin I ran into exactly the same issue.

"Why isn't it working?"

*re-reads the code for ten minutes*

"Okay, I have no idea what's going on"

*tries saving*

"... oh."

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2015
    djDarkX likes this.
  2. MuteDay

MuteDay Mutation Engine Veteran

First Language:
    English
    rolf i do the same thing

3. Lunesis

Lunesis Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I tried it with 4 party members and no cooldown occured. I counted about 8 or 9 attacks between allies and enemies before the character's next turn, but I am having a tough time getting the cooldown to show at all even when restarting the game. I even tried putting the cooldown up to 30 but for some reason it is just not happening anymore. Maybe it's something Yanfly has to figure out. In any case, loving the plugin so far.

Mellye likes this.
  4. Mellye

Mellye Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    I see, thanks for the test!

5. PanoramicPanda

PanoramicPanda Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    I can't get the Fight/Escape menu working. It seems to be caused by Yanfly's BattleCore plugin. Having your plugin loads first only causes it to stop working entirely.

Also, unsure if you fixed the guard ending on another characters turn or not, but it's an issue in my tests at least. Could be related to the above if you have put in a fix.

6. djDarkX

djDarkX Retro & Remastered Music Guru Veteran

First Language:
    Music
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    In Yanfly's Battle Core, go to the Start Actor Command under Windows and set to false and then the Fight / Escape for the ATB plugin to 1 and you'll see the window for that again.

PanoramicPanda likes this.
  7. PanoramicPanda

PanoramicPanda Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Awww yeah. Thanks a ton. This has been an awesome day for plugin updates. Most of the issues I had last night are already solved. :D

djDarkX likes this.
  8. Muk adel heid

Muk adel heid Villager Member

First Language:
    Spanish
    Thank you . I'm using it.

Very useful and customizable.

I'm editing it for more advanced formulas.

9. Xelion

Xelion Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    I encountered 3 problems though I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong:

- When you set a party member to autobattle, his sprite seems to automatically change to a defensive stance for some reason even though he hasn't acted yet and his bar is still filling.

- I can't seem to make individual escape command work. I used Bobstah's plugin to put the command Escape (Skill 6) but whenever the whole party escapes the game freezes.

- I also noticed a minifreeze some seconds after the battle starts (I notice it when I look at the AT bars, they seem to stop for a little bit. It always does that at the same moment and only once, it's not really noticeable but once I saw it...). Not sure if it's a problem of the plugin or my PC.

For both the autobattle problem and the freeze I tried disabled all the other plugins (including Yanfly's battle plugins) but didn't change anything.

10. Mellye

Mellye Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    The Auto-Battle issue happens even without any plugin, from what I've seem. I believe it has to do with the fact that Auto-Battle actors eval all of their skills at the beginning of the battle - this cause some of their effects to actually be applied. It's a bug in the base engine itself, though it is fixable via plugins.

Escape worked fine for me here without other plugins - can you give me details about your situation? Number of actors, parameters, etc?

The minifreeze I believe has to do with the game loading battle related resources. I have it sometimes, but not always. I'll try to see if pre-loading stuff helps, especially for the CTB faces.

11. Xelion

Xelion Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    - True about autobattle. My bad.

- Tried escape again with only your plugin and Bobstah's activated and the same thing happens. When the last actor escapes, the music stops and game freezes, like this:

http://puu.sh/l2F85/dddc72e683.jpg

I tried with a party of 4, and making them escape individually. Also tried to make the escape skill target the whole party and with only 1 member and still the same.

The commands I have on every character are the these:

<Battle Commands>

Attack

Skill:6    (this is the escape skill, didn't change anything about this skill's configuration)

Skills

Guard

Items

</Battle Commands>

Also, if you have a dead actor you get to a game over when your last alive one escapes (this I'm pretty sure has nothing to do with your plugin though).

- About the minifreeze it's almost unnoticeable (I only see it when I look at the filling bars and at least for me it happens at the same moment). Tried using the Preload plugin but didn't change anything. Anyway as I said it's almost unnoticeable and doesn't really affect anything.

EDIT: Okay, about the escape thing... tried it without your ATB plugin and it still freezes >_> so forget about that too 

Mellye likes this.
  12. Mellye

Mellye Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    I uploaded an update with the gauge positioning parameters. As always, if anything doesn't work properly on them, let me know!

Edit: I finally figured what was happening with Guard. It was not exactly a bug, but instead a consequence of the different battle format: Guard lasts for zero turns, meaning it is removed at the end of the turn that it is used... the difference was that in default RM combat, a "turn" contains all the attacks of all battlers before its end. Effectively, status effects in default RM combat "lasts 1 turn longer" (this isn't exactly what happens, but it's a close approximate), than in my system... or rather, they last 1 turn less in my system.

To make up for this, I've re-adjusted status effects to have a lasting duration increased by +1 turn, since the first turn of positive status effects is almost irrelevant in my system. This change does affect the total Healing or Damage that a Regen/Poison spell with limited turn duration would do (by increasing total ticks by one), so adjust their values accordingly if you think they might become a problem; and it does mean that Stuns and such will make the target lose N+1 actions, so if you want to have a single turn stun, you'd better set it to end at the end of Action instead of turn.

As a side note, if you use the parameter End-of-Turn Effects = 1 (default is 0), then I do not recommend that you use the default Guard. It doesn't make much sense together with that option (though it does work, it's just my personal opinion here).

13. SOC

SOC "God is my Judge" Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    [​IMG]
    Looking even better now! Keep up the great work! Can't wait for the secondary gauge to fill up first before actions are performed, the flashing actors when it's their turn, and a sound to play when it's their turn <3 I'm so excited!

Mellye likes this.
  14. Mellye

Mellye Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    As for the sound effects, I'll be allowing makers to set up a default sound effect (and pitch/volume) to play for every actor, and also to set up Actor-specific sound effects that play for that Actor turn (as a Note in the Actor, in the Database Editor).

SOC likes this.
  15. StandardFiend

StandardFiend Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Just wanted to pop in and say thank you for developing this and continuing to update it. I really appreciate the amount of work you're putting into the battle system, and I'm impressed that we have this so early in MV's life.

Mellye, SOC and alcreator440 like this.
  16. Mellye

Mellye Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Added parameters for playing a Sound Effect whenever an Actor is ready for command input. It's disabled by default.

You can set a default SE (and volume, pitch and pan) in the Plugin Parameter settings:

[​IMG]

And you can also set Actor-specific sound effects (and volume, pitch and pan) that will have priority over the default settings:

[​IMG]

17. SOC

SOC "God is my Judge" Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So goooooood! Thank you!

Another suggestion: Consider putting the version into the description in the plugin manager. For example, putting in "v0.147 A simple Active Time Battle system <EllyeATB>"~

Where do you recommend this plugin go in the plugin manager? I have it just under Yanfly's Victory Aftermath.

18. Mellye

Mellye Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Good idea, I'll change that!

And to be honest, I really don't know about plugin order - I haven't checked any other plugin yet, so I have no clue how much conflict there is or isn't between my plugin and other ones. I'll probably take some time later to check out Yanfly's plugins, at the very least.

19. Mellye

Mellye Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Scratch all of that. Just made a large overhaul of how I'm handling status effects. It does mean that people that previously balanced their status duration around my plugin might need to re-balance it, but I think that the fact that the system make much more sense and is much more predictable now more than makes up for it. I've posted a detailed reasoning on my blog, but for the TL;DR:

[​IMG]

From now on:

• If you want a State to count down per action taken, you set it up as Action End.
    • If you want a State to count down per virtual turn, you set it up as Turn End.

So, you want to have a Stun that makes an actor loses exactly 1 action? Set it to Action End and duration to 1~1.

Do you want to have a Poison that ticks down somewhere from 5 to 10 times? Set it to Turn End and duration to 5~10.

Do you want to have a Guard effect that lasts until your next action? Set it to Action End and duration to 2~2.

I believe this system makes a lot more sense than it made previously.

Basically, my fallacy was thinking that if I had to ask people to change the default values of Guard, that would automatically be a clunky workaround. But the thing is, the entire turn structure changed, so it makes sense that the default values wouldn't be appropriate anymore. Trying to force changes that would make the default values of Guard work properly would just mean that everything else regarding States would behave in weird ways.

By the way, right now all regeneration and poison damage is being dealt at Turn Timer. I'll provide a parameter to change it to Action End, for those that might prefer it. Such a parameter already existed before, but it needed to go during my overhaul here and I won't have time to code it again right now (but I'll try to do it next night).

Please let me know if something isn't behaving properly after those changes. I'll be able to take a look and try to fix issues in the morning.

Point08 and SOC like this.
  20. Lionheart_84

Lionheart_84 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Italian
    Looking even better now! Keep up the great work! Can't wait for the secondary gauge to fill up first before actions are performed, the flashing actors when it's their turn, and a sound to play when it's their turn <3 I'm so excited!

WOW !!! How did you set the battle so full screen ????