Embed JSNES (a NES Emulator) in game

Discussion in 'JS Plugin Requests' started by vico, Nov 6, 2017.

1. vico

vico Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hi! First of all, if this post somewhat violates the Forum rules, i'm very sorry mods.

Well, i was searching for free to play homebrew NES games on internet, and while testing some i was wondering: What if we can play this games inside another game, just like Shenmue or GTA SA?

So i knew there a lot of pure open-source JavaScript emulators around, an then i thought if would be possible, technically-wise, to "embed" a NES emulator (JSNES specifically) inside a RPG Maker MV game via plugin, bind its controls to the "standard" MV controls and then load a ROM with a script call/plugin command.

I ask this first because i didn't find anything similar before in Rpg Maker, so i thought it would be a headache, but still fun, coding experience for anyone willing to do that.

Pros:
    • Puts another different mechanics in the game;
    • It could somewhat stimulate further NES homebrew developement, plus a challenge for MV devs around.
    Anyone for that? Thanks in advance!

2. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    You'll probably hit legal issues with this one, as there are many legal issues with emulation and ROM's. I'd advice you to consult a lawyer before trying this one in my opinion.

3. Poryg

Poryg Pixie of the Emvee kingdom, Ham of a Hamster Veteran

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I am certain it is possible. Somehow, some way. But since emulating itself requires decent processing power, with MV it's a suicidal combination.
    Also, I don't think posting it to Plugin requests is going to yield any results, since I don't think anybody would make you such a plugin for free.

4. vico

vico Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well, i always thought ROM piracy is a crime, possessing the emulator itself isn't; Plus there some freeware homebrew indie games (just like the ones i've linked in OP) which its ROM isnt infringing anything; but i could be wrong:

Anyway some posts about this:

Well, that's why i target JSNES (NES Emu) for port; its the most lightweight emulator of that list; But if you think this type of request is useless since for free people wont think it would be interestng, nevermind this topic.

5. Poryg

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It's not about it being interesting or not. But most people here are full time workers and have their own lives, so the amount of spare time is in question and highly individual. And even if I take my own situation, as I am currently jobless, I have plenty of time. But despite that the only full plugins or plugin edits I construct are those that take max an hour or two and If I spend a day on someone's request, it is mostly my fault.
    But I ignore plugin requests that aren't simple or are huge. The reason is, I have my own projects and stuff and I can't work 14 hours a day, because I can't focus for so long. And considering how much time I dedicate to my own projects, I just can't adopt non-short term projects, because then I'd be hampering my own progress.
    (Also, if someone doesn't want to spend that time and effort to do it, why should I do that in their place)
    I think it stands true for many people, especially those that have jobs and families. I think it stands true for you too. After all, what else would keep you from learning javascript and trying to do it yourself if it wasn't time?ยจ

Of course, maybe somebody will accept it. But if nobody does, then there is absolutely no wonder in it.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
  6. bgillisp

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Keep in mind the internet is NOT the best source for info. That's why I suggested asking an official lawyer. Because the internet told me it is ok is not a valid defense in court.

From what I understand, the Emulator is legal, but distributing ROM's of already existing games is not. But, if you made a ROM of a game you created, then I think it would be ok (but again, that is how I understand the law and I'm not a lawyer. Hence the suggestion for official legal advice). Still, MV is very tasking on system resources already, and emulators are too, so you would end up forcing your game to probably need 8 GB of memory or more just to run, just for starters.

7. Poryg

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Actually, NES emulators are lightweight on RAM. Processing power is worse. I ran Nessie on my 700 MHz, 384 MB RAM computer, with 50% use of RAM, but it was clear the CPU power wasn't enough, since I played on like 50-75% speed on some games due to lag (although many games were completely fine).

8. bgillisp

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Poryg : Right, but add MV on top of the fact that 700 MHZ wasn't enough...

9. Jiffy

Jiffy Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    AFAIK It is legal to develop and posses an emulator as long as the programming is not plagiarising the original console. It is also legal to dump your own game files (ISO, ROM, etc). However, distributing or downloading those files off the internet is illegal. About embedding it in a game, it would obviously be possible, but then you have the legal issues of playing games through it, as embedding a rom of a game would count as distributing, thus being illegal. You could have the user import their own ROMs, but at that point you might as well just use the emulator. Of course dumping your own NES game files are a huge pain, I personally haven't dumped any Nintendo games pre-GameCube (because playing GCN games on my Wii U with Nintendont is just too good to pass up)

10. sonny12681

sonny12681 Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I found a website where you can buy blank nes and snes cartridges. Here is a link to the website to buy these blank cartridges. <--snip-->
    There should not be any legal issues if the rpg Maker game is on an actual cartridge. It would be nice if there is a plugin to make the game readable as a rom so that you can put the game on a cartridge.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2018
  11. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @sonny12681 This is basically hi-jacking a thread. The availability of cartridges is a separate issue from the request of the OP for a plugin. I have, therefore, removed your link.

vico likes this.
  12. louislitt

louislitt Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    There are some really cool nintendo emulator out there like:

1. FCEUX
    2. Nintendulator
    3. BizHawk, etc.

There are other great emulators too but I would suggest you to read more about them before deciding which one would be best for you.