RMMV Embers' Pyre: v.0.4c uploaded!

Discussion in 'Games In Development' started by Verdelite, Jan 24, 2017.

?

Who is your favourite character?

1. Cendril

37.5%
  2. Aylwin

12.5%
  3. Russell

12.5%
  4. Fyren

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Captain Aron Hallsteinn

12.5%
  6. Lt. Darrien

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Bane

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Alphonse & Bradley

12.5%
  9. Nicholas

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Other

12.5%
  1. Verdelite

Verdelite Wannabe Developer Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

Embers' Pyre

[​IMG]

Synopsis:

"Don't forget why you're here. You've just been reminded of that."
    Cendril wields the power of conjuring flames - a very useful power to have in a realm that is plagued by the threat of monsters. As an aspiring knight, Cendril joins the ranks of the Military and participates in the mandatory training camp, where the recruits are given tasks to complete in order to prove their worth. Completing these tasks would be a breeze for the young Mage - were it not for the fact that the knowledge of magic is strictly forbidden in the Kingdom of Rolantis. Rather, the fresh recruit is forced to blend in among the others, which proves to be quite difficult, as, apart from fire magic, Cendril possesses no martial prowess whatsoever.

Still, that is a hurdle that Cendril is willing to overcome - not least because the Mage's reasons for joining the Military differ from that of the many recruits in the camp...

But as the training progresses, Cendril is quickly entangled in happenings that are far more dangerous than those of an ordinary training camp...

And the young Mage embraces that turn of events. After all, what better way to make a great impression than to overcome these dangers?

Follow the journey of a rather unconventional hero and make choices along the road to influence Cendril's development and ending!

Gameplay Features:
    "Who are you calling old now?"
    ~ An intriguing story that doesn't follow the stereotypical RPG-formula

~ A cast of colourful characters and NPCs with distinct personalities

~ Choices that influence how others treat you and that will alter your ending

~ Over 10,000 words of dialogue currently implemented and even more to come

~ A picture gallery with unlockable CGs

~ Custom loading screens that unlock as you progress the story

~ A CTB-combat system and a Timed Attack system

~ On map encounters, with a toggleable respawn frequency

Screenshots:

"Let's light some fireworks!"
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To Be Implemented:

"Do you wish to hone your skills?"
    ~ Likely more tileset edits, cliff tiles will be redone to not be as choppy and blocky (hopefully)*
    ~ VX Ace resources will be replaced with something that's not badly resized
    ~ A proper title screen and logo
    ~ more CGs for the Gallery
    ~ Enemy sprites and battlers*
    ~ updated art (for old busts and CGs)*

And of course, the story is not fully implemented yet. Look forward to the plot unfolding its twists and for more characters to make an appearance!

Known Issues:
    "Oh look. A pile of ashes."
    ~ The Victory screen sometimes freezes for a few seconds
    ~ The Seal Map is still somewhat laggy
    ~ Deleting savefiles will cause an error
    ~ "Uncaught Error: Header is wrong"-crash (please refer to download section for details)

Credits:

"Nice work, everyone!"

Created by:
    Verdelite

Scripts:
    Yanfly
    http://yanfly.moe
    SumRndmDde
    http://sumrndm.site/
    Victor Sant
    https://victorenginescripts.wordpress.com/
    DreamX
    http://dreamxrmmv.tumblr.com/
    Terrax (Lighting System)
    Tor Damian Design
    Shaz
    Moghunter
    https://atelierrgss.wordpress.com/
    Hikitsune-Red 火狐
    HimeWorks
    http://himeworks.com/
    ArcherBanish & Jackkel Dragon (Persistent Switches)

Music:

Gyrowolf's 2013 Music Resource Pack 001
    [Copyright](C) 2013 Gyrowolf

The Adventurer's Journey III
    [Copyright](C) 2014 DEGICA, LTD
    Musician: D.C. Kairi Sawler

The Adventurer's Final Journey
    [Copyright](C) 2015 DEGICA Co., LTD
    Musician: D.C. Kairi Sawler

Dungeon Music Pack
    [Copyright](C) 2014 DEGICA, LLC
    Musician: Scythuz

Fantasy Adventure Mini Music Pack
    [Copyright](C) 2014 Joel Steudler

The Magnificent Quest
    [Copyright](C) 2014 DEGICA, LTD
    Musician: Joel Steudler

The Emporium of Copper and Steel Music Pack
    [Copyright](C) 2014 DEGICA, LLC
    Musician: Murray Atkinson

Zonderland Music Pack
    [Copyright](C) 2013 Intelligentsia

http://dambole-souko.noor.jp/

Dragonic Symphony 「龍的交響楽」

Others:
    hiddenone (Soldiers SV Battlers)
    hadecynn (Animations)
    taarna23 (Local Save Files)
    whtdragon (Animal Sprites)
    AdanRayen (Harpy Sprites)
    waynee95

Special Thanks:
    Feuerkopf
    ChrAndGow

Engine:
    Enterbrain
    Made with RPG Maker MV
    ©2015 KADOKAWA CORPORATION./YOJI OJIMA

Current Version: v.0.4c
    v.0.4c: Estimated Playtime ~ 6h

Download Links:

If your game crashes, please press F8 to open the console and send me the error log.

Download the current version of the game!

Download the savefiles!

• 24.01.2017: Release of the first version v.0.1! Hooray!
        - A few hours of sleep later and game breaking bugs discoverd: v.0.1b uploaded: implemented local save files
        - apparently, I messed up some files. Added them to the game. v.0.1c is being uploaded, should be available now
        - v.0.1d because more missing files. Okay, this is getting embarassing >.<
      • 26.01.2017: - v.0.1e: fixed a bug where you were unable to progress the story if you camped by yourself.
        - v.0.1e2: fixed a bug where Cendril was unable to cast Magic
      • 28.01.2017: - v.0.1f: fixed a bug where the game will crash upon triggering the Chimera bossfight
        fixed a bug where Cendril would be silenced upon engaging in battle before the troll cave
        minor balance tweaks
      • 08.06.2017: - v.0.2a: added Prologue, tutorial was expanded
        various QoL changes, most importantly: lag in the last dungeon has been reduced, Custom faceset for Blue-Haired Knight
      • 02.07.2017: - v.0.3a: new dungeon was added! Picture Gallery was implemented with a few CGs, minor bug fixes, minor rebalancing, Custom faceset for Suspicious Woman
      • 06.07.2017: - v.0.3.2: mini-update! No new content, but added custom facesets for Captain & Lt. Darrien, one new CG, and persistent switches (meaning unlocked pictures are now unlocked across all save files & future playthroughs!)
      • 08.07.2017: - v.0.3.2b: bugfixes and rebalancing, added icons for attack types
      • 12.07.2017 - v.0.3.2c: fixed critical behaviour, added custom loading screens
      • 18.08.2017 - v.0.3.2d: reduced maximum amount of save files, moved save file location, rewritten loading screen plugin to allow 'locked' version of loading screens, added more interaction with objects on the map
      • 26.08.2017 -v.0.3.2e: properly fixed critical behaviour, minor rebalancing, attempted fix for the "Header is wrong" error
      • 27.08.2017 -v.0.3.2e2: reduced lag during saving/loading
      • 28.08.2017 -v.0.3.2f: minor rebalancing, more tutorial messages, added additional saving points until "Header is wrong" error is fixed
      • 08.06.2018 -v.0.4a: new content added, skip functionality, new Fyren bust, healing save points, rest&reporting-in mechanic, edited dialogues, added NPCs
      • 09.06.2018 -v.0.4b: bugfixes
      • 10.06.2018 -v.0.4c: reduced exp ticks to 1 as a bandage fix for victory screen freeze, fixed a bug where skipping the scene at the Forest Entrance would reduce player's movement speed

IMPORTANT: Old save files will no longer be compatible with v.0.4a upwards!

You can download the savefiles I've prepared from the download links section or you can contact me, detailing at which point of the game you are and I'll try to provide a save file for you. Don't be shy!

I'm very sorry for the inconvience!

Feedback Questions

Thank you very much for taking interest! I'm grateful for any kind of feedback~
    Here are some questions to get you started:

1. Characters:
    Who is your favourite/least favourite character? What do you like/dislike about them? Do they seem believable/consistent?

2. Story:
    What are your thoughts on the plot progression? Were there any scenes in particular that you liked/disliked? If so, why? Is it engaging enough to make you want to continue playing? What are questions that the story poses and which you would like to see answered? Are there any parts that dragged on/felt rushed? Anything that felt illogical/inconsistent?

3. Gameplay
    What are your thoughts on the combat system? Is it annoying/fun/too easy/too hard/convoluted? Are the dungeons too long/short/just right? Were the puzzles easy/hard/frustrating/rewarding? What about the difficulty/number of enemy encounters? What about the difficulty of the boss battles?

4. Writing
    Did the dialogue feel natural/forced/awkward?
    Did you encounter any strangely worded sentences/grammar mistakes/spelling errors?
    If so, feel free to point them out to me! I'm not a native speaker, so your help would be much appreciated!

5. Bugs
    Did you encounter any bugs? Please let me know and I'll try to get it fixed asap :)

6. Other
    If there's anything at all you'd like to say, I'm happy to hear it! Thoughts, comments, criticism, .... anything is much appreciated <3

Also, there's no need to answer all of the questions above or even any at all! They serve merely as a stimulation/suggestion in case you can't think of anything to comment on!

Fanart <3
    [​IMG]
    Thanks to @hiddenone for this super-cute mini-Cendril!

[​IMG]
    Thanks to @Mirpono for this super cool Russell fanart!

Support:

If you would like to show your support, feel free to add this banner to your signature by copying the code below! It will show the banner in your signature and redirect to this thread~

Code:
    [URL='https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/74046/'][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/MgQfvEA.png[/IMG] [/URL]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  2. Pern

Pern Hello Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Hello!

I downloaded and played a bit of your game and I must say, you've put a lot of work into it! It's very cute, playful and adventurous. I really enjoyed it :]

Unfortunately, I was unable to save early on at the crystal for some reason, and the freezing you mentioned at the victory screen never unfroze so I couldn't continue. I also found an issue with turning down the sound effects and music in the options, both in the game and at the title screen. It would give me an error and crash the game.

Verdelite likes this.
  3. Verdelite

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Pern Hello! Thanks for trying it out and for your feedback! I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed what little you could play! :D

Gaaah, I'm really sorry for that! Usually, the game unfreezes after a few seconds or/and if I move the move the window around a bit.

I've looked into the problem that you enountered and the save and options crash seems to have the same cause.

It's (hopefully) fixed now, as the save files will now be stored in your local game data instead of the game folder (which the game couldn't access).

You can find the updated version here:

In case you're willing to give it another try, I've attached a save file for your convenience. It picks up from after you receive the tent fabric from the Lieutenant and after meeting Alphonse and Bradley. I haven't opened any chests though, talked to anyone else or done anything with the crate.

View attachment RPGMVfile1.rpgsave

View attachment RPGMVglobal.rpgsave

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2017
    Pern likes this.
  4. Pern

Pern Hello Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Verdelite

Oh, wow, that would be wonderful. Thank you! I was kind of bummed it froze since I didn't have that save file and couldn't continue. That's very nice of you :]

I'll give it another go and see how far I get this time! Keep up the good work.

Verdelite likes this.
  5. Verdelite

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Update v.0.1e:
    Fixed a bug where if you camped by yourself, the wrong variable would be changed, resulting in not being able to plant more than 10 seeds later on.

If that has happened to you, just download the new version and walk to the forest entrance. That should fix it.

You can find the new version here:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2017
  6. Kyoku

Kyoku Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That forest is so pretty! Your game looks so pretty! I'm playing it! I wanna see pretty stuff!

The Stranger and Verdelite like this.
  7. Dustfinger12

Dustfinger12 Warper Member

First Language:
    Greek
    HI, there is a Bug that when you try to reach the troll cave and you get in a fight with a spider the Hero tells that you where recless anthat he should flee and you get slenced permantly until you get back to the camp and you have to try to g again to the cave hoping that you wont get into a fight with a spider

Verdelite likes this.
  8. Verdelite

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2017
  9. Verdelite

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hello everyone! Embers' Pyre is not dead yet! :)
    I'm sorry for the long absence, but I've been busy for a while.
    I've returned with an update that has added quite some quality of life changes (hopefully!)
    There's also a website now!

v.0.2a has been uploaded! It includes:
    - new art
    - redone menu
    - prologue and expanded tutorial
    - a lot less lag during the 'well' dungeon! Yay!

AAAAAAAND:

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT:
    Other than tiny bits of dialogue here and there and the Prologue, there is NO new content after the 'well'-dungeon! Since I've added and updated a lot of plugins, your old save files will most likely NO LONGER BE COMPATIBLE with v.0.2a!
    If you've already played through the content that was there, I'd recommend waiting for a new content patch!

Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
    The Stranger likes this.
  10. Verdelite

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hello everyone!
    v.0.3a has been uploaded!
    The new version comes with:
    - the next dungeon!
    - gallery with the first few CGs!
    - a custom faceset for a certain woman!

[​IMG]

and as always, some rebalancing and minor bugfixes!

Feel free to leave your feedback here! It's much appreciated and thank you for your time <3
    Have fun! :kaojoy:

11. Verdelite

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hey there!
    We're back with a mini-update!
    v.0.3.2 comes with no new content but with the following changes:
    - Custom facesets for the Captain & Lt. Darrien
    - persistent switches! Meaning once you've unlocked a picture in the gallery, it will remain unlocked across all save files and for all future playthroughs!
    - A brand new, shiny CG!

[​IMG]

Can you guess which scene this CG belongs to? :)

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
    The Stranger likes this.
  12. hiddenone

hiddenone Lurker Extraordinaire Moderator

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Ooh, does that mean the captain and lieutenant won't have scary Ace generator faces? Sweet. I've only played up to the werewolf fight, but I'm really enjoying the game so far. I'm gonna keep playing, but figure I can leave some comments at this point.
    1. Characters: Who is your favourite/least favourite character? What do you like/dislike about them? Do they seem believable/consistent?

- So far my favorite characters are Alphonse and Bradley, mostly because those two are just lovable idiots. Honestly I've enjoyed all the character's personalities and conversations so far (which is probably gonna bite me in the butt later if Cendril gets found out...), and I'm looking forward to learning more about everybody.

2. Story: What are your thoughts on the plot progression? Were there any scenes in particular that you liked/disliked? If so, why? Is it engaging enough to make you want to continue playing? What are questions that the story poses and which you would like to see answered? Are there any parts that dragged on/felt rushed? Anything that felt illogical/inconsistent?

- The plot is moving slowly but surely, and so far you've given little bits of clues to what's going on that is keeping me interested. I'm curious to find out why healing magic may be okay, but apparently not other types of magic (I assume that'll be answered later on). The collecting flowers in the forest seemed to take a while (I get lost easily), and why on earth would Cendril want all the flowers, but the dialogue kept me invested.

3. Gameplay: What are your thoughts on the combat system? Is it annoying/fun/too easy/too hard/convoluted? Are the dungeons too long/short/just right? Were the puzzles easy/hard/frustrating/rewarding? What about the difficulty/number of enemy encounters? What about the difficulty of the boss battles?

- I should start out by saying I hate QTEs. I'm not quick when it comes to button mashing, so they add a level of annoyance to most battles for me. But the way you've implemented them actually seems to work for the combat and makes sure I don't just spam attack in each battle. I would love an icon in the skill descriptions that reminded me which QTE it was going to be used though, as there were a few time's that I'd switch from a fire attack to heal and the start mashing spacebar because I'd gotten used to doing it.
    - There is an issue with the clock timed attack, it increases speed with each spin and can get to a point where it's impossible to tell where the line is actually pointing. Not sure if you can fix it, but putting a cap on the speed would be nice.
    - For skills that have a cooldown I'd prefer if it said '(2 turn cooldown)' instead of just '(2 turns)', because I'd thought that meant the attack would happen over two turns before I'd used it.
    - The dungeon sizes so far a fine, but I would like a bit more room to navigate in some sections of the forest. Mostly when it was only a tile wide and I needed to go diagonally I'd get annoyed, but luckily there weren't too many spots like that.
    - I had some issues with the numbers of enemies in an encounter, it may have been that I just needed to grind to level up but often when there were four enemies I'd get stuck in a pattern trying to heal so I could fight but the enemies would do almost the same amount of damage as I could heal. Possibly I just need to learn how to run from some fights. :rswt
    - Bosses were rough, I died a few times but luckily the save point was right there so I could come back and try to use what I'd learned from the previous failure.

4. Writing: Did the dialogue feel natural/forced/awkward? Did you encounter any strangely worded sentences/grammar mistakes/spelling errors? If so, feel free to point them out to me! I'm not a native speaker, so your help would be much appreciated!

- The dialogue all felt fine to me, and was entertaining.

5. Bugs: Did you encounter any bugs? Please let me know and I'll try to get it fixed asap :)

- I don't think I found any major bugs, at least not anything that made it impossible to keep playing.

6. Other: If there's anything at all you'd like to say, I'm happy to hear it! Thoughts, comments, criticism, .... anything is much appreciated <3

- The cut-in of Aylwin at the bar was nice, I'd love it if you made it into full pictures with him and the bartender (and him and the lady) that'd show for a little bit.
    - This is an issue with the generator, but Aylwin's sprite has a line across the top of his frame when looking up. It should be pretty easy to fix it though.
    - Overall I'm really enjoying the game, so great job!

The Stranger and Verdelite like this.
  13. Verdelite

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @hiddenone Wow, thank you so much for taking the time to leave feedback! <3
    I'm happy to hear that you've enjoyed it so far!
    You mentioned some really good points! The icons are a great idea! I think I'll make the clock QTE easier, as in that it only increases speed for every area hit and get rid of increasing speed over time, since I'm not sure if I'll be able to cap it.
    I'll definitely keep the navigating areas of dungeons in mind for the future. Gonna try and see if I can fix it in already implemented dungeons without messing up the map :)

And oooooh, the Aylwin sprite one! Thank youuuu! I thought I was going crazy, since I redid his sprite in the generator multiple times and decided it was probably dirt on my screen xD

hiddenone likes this.
  14. Verdelite

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hey there~ :)
    I forgot to make a post but I've uploaded v.0.3.2b which includes a few minor bugfixes and some balancing tweaks.
    I've also added icons for skills depending on their QTE, following hiddenone's suggestion ^w^

15. Verdelite

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hey everyone,
    we’re back with another mini-patch, v.0.3.2c!
    Just like the last one, there won’t be new content.

However, there will finally be…

*drumroll*

CUSTOM LOADING SCREENS! Yippee!

HOWEVER, I’ve realised that I’ve accidently disabled a battle plugin in an earlier patch, which was needed for certain skill behaviors, especially crit.

I’ve reactived said plugin in this patch and those skills should now work properly BUT this also means that old save files will no longer be compatible with this patch!

Once I add new content, I’ll try to provide a save file starting from where the current game left off.

Therefore, if you haven’t yet reached the end of the currently available story yet, I’d advise you to either wait for a new content patch before updating OR if you really want those fancy loading screens and you want them NOW (I can totally relate, because who doesn’t like fancy loading screens) you can contact me, detailing at which point of the game you are and I’ll try to provide a save file for you. Don’t be shy!

I’m very sorry for the inconvience!

[​IMG]

The Stranger likes this.
  16. Verdelite

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hello everyone!
    We’ve got a small update:

v.0.3.2d now features ‘locked’ and ‘unlocked’ versions of the loadings screens! Also, I’ve added some hidden items and flavor text to encourage interacting with random objects.

More importantly, I’ve reduced the available number of save files and moved the save locations into a subfolder. If you wish to use your old save files in the new version, you need to move your save files into the ‘Embers’ Pyre’ folder in your local Appdata.

Since this version does not feature content that continues the story, there’s no need to upgrade to this one yet if you are playing on an older version!

[​IMG]

Since I was busy during the past month, I did not get to work on Embers' Pyre. Therefore, it might take a while for a new content patch to be finished.
    I apologise for working so slowly.

Thank you for your patience!

Susan likes this.
  17. Gallia

Gallia Global Support Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Verdelite, Would you like if i test and review your project ? i Always give feedback ;)

Susan and Verdelite like this.
  18. Verdelite

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Gallia Sure, I'm happy about people playing my game and feedback is always much appreciated :kaothx:
    Don't hold back ^w^

Susan likes this.
  19. Epitaph

Epitaph Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    10 minutes into it, and I encounter this error:

Error
    Uncaught Error: Header is wrong

I was outside the Mud and the Club, speaking with Fiona (I think her name is/was). I don't know if it's on my end or yours, but I'll try it again.

Verdelite likes this.
  20. Verdelite

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Epitaph Thanks for your report! I'll look into it, Someone else reported the same issue... so far I've been unable to reproduce the error but I'll try my best to get it fixed.

Edit: I think I have a vague idea about what might be causing the issue. If my guess is right, this error shouldn't reoccur after the prologue. I'll upload a (hopefully) fixed version later.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017