RMMV Embers' Pyre: v.0.4c uploaded!

Discussion in 'Games In Development' started by Verdelite, Jan 24, 2017.

?

Who is your favourite character?

1. Cendril

37.5%
  2. Aylwin

12.5%
  3. Russell

12.5%
  4. Fyren

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Captain Aron Hallsteinn

12.5%
  6. Lt. Darrien

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Bane

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Alphonse & Bradley

12.5%
  9. Nicholas

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Other

12.5%
  1. Dalph

Dalph Nega Ralph™ (Retired Villain) Veteran

First Language:
    Italian Curses
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yo there @Verdelite.

1. Characters: Who is your favourite/least favourite character? What do you like/dislike about them? Do they seem believable/consistent?

The Captain is my favourite so far. He is such a troll and an unpredictable witty character, but can be serious, demanding and quite sadistic too sometimes. Cendril is an interesting character as well, he seems to talk to himself quite often but is very likeable.
    Overall I gotta say that you clearly put a lot of effort in character development and it's obvious, even the NPCs seem to be well developed so I have no major complaints about anyone.

2. Story: What are your thoughts on the plot progression? Were there any scenes in particular that you liked/disliked? If so, why? Is it engaging enough to make you want to continue playing? What are questions that the story poses and which you would like to see answered? Are there any parts that dragged on/felt rushed? Anything that felt illogical/inconsistent?

The plot is engaging, I'm definitely looking forward to know more about Cendril's past and what the future holds in store for him, and if he will be able to reveal his true nature to everyone without serious consequences.
    Regarding the scenes. I think the dialogues in the camp with the Captain are my favourites, he is funny and his orders completely unexpected too. No major complaints about the plot quite frankly, it really is engaging.

3. Gameplay: What are your thoughts on the combat system? Is it annoying/fun/too easy/too hard/convoluted? Are the dungeons too long/short/just right? Were the puzzles easy/hard/frustrating/rewarding? What about the difficulty/number of enemy encounters? What about the difficulty of the boss battles?

I like how you added various QTE features in the battles, it's something I like and makes the skill use way more interesting and challenging than a regular boring command.
    Using Russel's skills felt like playing Legend of Legaia or using Sabin from FFVI, which totally triggers good memories.
    I found the gameplay a bit grindy in some places, if you don't level up Cendril enough, you might end up having troubles, especially when he is alone against multiple enemies (dayum snakes!). Maybe you can make the regular monsters slightly weaker since at the beginning he is a bit on the weak side, but other than that it was fun overall.
    Bosses are ok, I was a bit underlevelled against the Chimera boss, to the point that I gained 3 levels after beating it, haha.
    Dungeons are fine as well and so is the mapping, it's difficult to map decently big areas but you managed to do it pretty well so kudos to you.

4. Writing: Did the dialogue feel natural/forced/awkward? Did you encounter any strangely worded sentences/grammar mistakes/spelling errors? If so, feel free to point them out to me! I'm not a native speaker, so your help would be much appreciated!

I'm not really a native English speaker either, so spotting grammar mistakes isn't exactly my forte, but I didn't find anything weird in the dialogues. I think you are a good writer and you like to write a lot (probably more than me), I usually get bored in some rm games and skip the dialogues entirely but with your game this totally wasn't the case.

5. Bugs: Did you encounter any bugs? Please let me know and I'll try to get it fixed asap :)

I got the same crash of the user above (Uncaught Error: Header is wrong) when going south from the camp, but it seems to happen very rarely and randomly too.
    There is also a bit of lag here and there (I guess due to the plug-ins and big maps?) but other than that, no problems or other bugs spotted. Everything was smooth and enjoyable.

6. Other: If there's anything at all you'd like to say, I'm happy to hear it! Thoughts, comments, criticism, .... anything is much appreciated <3

Good job on the loading screens and the custom art (busts, pictures and facesets with emotions), everything really is gorgeous and made your game look very professional too.
    I'm stuck after beating the Wraith boss, at the torches puzzle.
    I checked the Torn page and noticed the roman number on it (XIV) but can't figure out how to proceed so any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I'm enjoying it so far. Well done!

The Stranger, Susan and Verdelite like this.
  2. Verdelite

Verdelite Wannabe Developer Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hiya @Dalph ! Thank you so much for the feedback! :kaoblush: I'm glad to hear that you enjoy it!

Thanks for the kind words! ^w^ I'm not really confident in my mapping, so hearing your praise is very reassuring! I took note of your issues regarding the balancing and I've nerfed the snake enemies. I'm impressed that you managed to beat the Chimera that underleveled, you must be a strategic genius xD
    And woohoo, I'm happy to get the Dalph-stamp of approval for my dialogue ^^ I was afraid they might be a bit too long for players who are usually not as fond of dialogues as I am.

Regarding the torches puzzle, I was unsure of how many hints to give. I've made it a bit more clear in the newer version.
    You're right in connecting it to the torn page! The important part is the big symbol in the upper-left corner (the thing that looks like a mix between an N and an H).

You need to light the torches so they form said symbol.

Unfortunately, I was unable to reproduce that error in my project files but I think I've got an idea what might've caused the "Uncaught Error: Header is wrong" error. It is (hopefully) fixed in the new version!

You can find the new version here!

v.0.3.2e:
    - minor rebalancing
    - fixed critical behaviour
    - hopefully fixed "Header is wrong" error

Also, I have no idea why the game takes up so much processing power, so if anyone has a hunch, I'd be very happy to hear what might be the issue. :kaodes:

Susan and Dalph like this.
  3. Dalph

First Language:
    Italian Curses
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Something tells me it might be the menu plug-in (or one of the plug-ins) causing the lag\delay but I'm not sure of course, since I don't know what you exactly used. In any case it's not that bad, all I have is a delay of 3-4 seconds everytime I load the game.

Thanks for the quick update and for the hints, I managed to solve the puzzle and even the seal one soon after, I'm currently training a bit before facing the boss.

Susan and Verdelite like this.
  4. Susan

Susan Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    No idea...
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Dalph doesn't know the meaning of the word grinding training. :kaosalute:
    I'm looking forward to trying the game myself, but I'm currently backed-up with the game jam entries. Will definitely play this once I'm done with those. If you want, I can test the plug-in(s) you're using for the Load Menu. Just let me know who's plug-in you're using and I'll give it a run to see if it's causing lag by itself.

Good job with the game, by the way. I can see you placed a lot of work into your art and writing (among many things). :kaojoy:

mlogan, Verdelite and Dalph like this.
  5. Verdelite

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Susan Thank you for your kind words :kaoblush: I'm happy that you think so!
    I think that the lag in the loading screen at least might be caused by the encryption (since it doesn't lag that much when I playtest in the engine) but it might also just be amplifying the lag that's already there ._.

If you're referring to the Load Menu scene, then the plugins that might be relevant are:

I didn't think those plugins would cause problems, since I assumed that with the exception of the local save one, they're very commonly used (same for the rest of my plugins). The problem might be caused from a weird combination of my plugins used or something, so I'm a bit lost on how to find out which one is causing it :kaoswt2:
    But by all means, please prioritise the game jam and your other work/projects! Embers' Pyre still has a loooong way to go, so maybe I'll be able to eventually figure it out along the road or something :kaopride:
    It's super awesome of you to offer your help, though! Thank you~ :kaojoy:

6. Susan

Susan Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    No idea...
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I tried them and I think you're right. I know how Moghunter's scripts work too, even with Yanfly's scripts. There wasn't any lag with those combinations. Either it's the overall combination of your plug-ins, or it's your encryption. From your words, I suspect it's the encryption. Well, still loads of time for optimization. ;)
    I'll be able to play your game early next month. Looking forward to trying it myself. :kaojoy:

Verdelite and Dalph like this.
  7. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Just thought I would mention, I've not noticed lag so much when loading, but when I touch the crystals to save, it takes a few second to open the screen and the overall save scene seems a bit slow to react.

Verdelite, Dalph and Susan like this.
  8. Dalph

First Language:
    Italian Curses
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hey @Verdelite I have a question if you don't mind.

At what level do you recommend to face the Cocytus boss fight? I'm around 20-22 but I still feel like it might not be enough, her strongest skill almost KOs Cendril in 1 hit (800+ damage if I don't guard and that hurts so much).
    I like how strategic the boss battles are though, it's not just attack spam, you really have to figure out an appropriate strategy to win.

9. Verdelite

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hiya @Dalph! Of course I don't mind :D

To be honest, the level I intended was around Lv17 for the two of them >_< But only a few of my testers ever played that far, so the battle might still be unbalanced.
    It can be very difficult if you haven't stocked up on Hi-Potions. I have a few tips for you:
    1. Focus the gazers first. They don't deal damage but their buffs are annoying. Also, defeating them will trigger debuffs on the boss monster.
    2. Either guard the strong attack or use flame barrier to block the damage/both. Doing so should mitigate most of the damage.
    3. Try and figure out the weakness of the monsters to abuse them by spamming certain skills. If you want to look them up, I'm listing them below:
    Gazers' weakness: Pierce
    Cocytus' weakness: Blunt

Edit: @mlogan Thanks for addressing this issue! I've uploaded the game with a fix for the lag during save/load! Big thanks to @doranikofu for sharing the solution! :)

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
  10. Gallia

Gallia Global Support Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hello @Verdelite ,

Here i am with my feedback.

All by all i have very positive things to say, but also some negative.
    I explain some painful things at the end.

What did i like ?
    • Its fully playable with mouse alone.
    • There are a lot options on the title screen.
    • I like the artstyle, its not as Über detailed like in Anime's but they're nice.
    • The tutorial was nice and detailed, sadly not very rewarding.
    • I like the "Attack Clock system" it reminded me of "Shadow Hearts" and thats a PLUS.
    • I did like the fact that you are mostly in control over your accuracy, miss the spot and the attack misses.
    • The music is fitting.
    • The captain is a jerk, but his shenanigans made me laugh.
    • I like the cute picture when Cendril was cured from petrification.
    • I like the story ;)
    • Its longer than an usual demo.
    • Character development.
    What i didn't like ?
    • A long startup time, i played on 2 different machines with different specs, and it took some time to boot.
    • Fullscreen didn't stretch the game, resulting in large black bars left and right.
    • Too many quotes ("Quotes"), the name and portait is more than enough.
    • There is a Load button in the inventory, but no Save button.
    • The battles are unbalanced, early or late game monsters are hard to kill and hurts a lot.
    • Being forced to use magic and mash buttons.
    • The light puzzle (step on the floor to lit it)
    • The Trial of Truth is confusing.
    • Status ailments doesn't do much, I blinded an enemy and the enemy hits every time, or i get stunned and still do physical attacks.
    • Not much equipment is available.
    • Battles are unrewarding.
    What did i notice ?
    • The bar with Gren does reminds me of "A wolf among us from Telltale Games".
    • In the inventory, the menu bar overlaps the sp bar.
    • The blue haired knight reminds me of "Sephiroth from Final Fantasy VII".
    • The captain reminds of me of "Fuhrer Bradley from Fullmetal Alchemist".
    • Recruit A and Recruit B reminds me of Biggs and Wedge from the "Final Fantasy Series".
    • The underground room with the candles is laggy.
    • When Russel joins you can use healing magic, but when you fight the Chimera he is shocked you use healing magic.
    The bugs/typo's i found.
    • Typo "Kindergarden", it should be Kindergarten - Cendril.
    • Typo "Continue to practise" it should be practice - Aylwin.
    • Typo "No offence" it should be offense - Russel.
    • Bug "Error Uncaught error: Header is wrong" is still persistent in version 0.3.2e.
    • Bug when Aylwin's eyes are closed, its like they're white.
    • Bug Aylwin is stuck in a tree (begin of game on camp site).

What can be improved ?
    • First the battles should be balanced out, you don't gain much exp or money.
    • Bugs and typo's should be fixed, but optimazation is more important.
    The painful part...
    As i mentioned in the begin that i'm going to explain something at the end, and here we go.

I played the game legit up until the Chimera, as the battles felt unfair and unrewarding, i used Cheat Engine to give myself a much easier time.
    I ended close to 10 hour to beat the demo, there is nothing wrong being a long game, and honestly i ENJOYED the story, but a mountain sized rock landed on progression, as i mentioned that the battles are unfair that groups of enemies deal so much damage, and as a fire mage you didn't have a AOE fire spell, gaining exp is the way to survive as enemies don't drop much money, you can't buy much potions, and there is no free heal spot, so you have to gain exp to heal yourself, it kinda works but its unbalanced when you can't heal yourself.
    In the end progression stopped because you have to grind, otherwise you won't survive the later enemies.
    If the enemies give more exp or have less hp, then its more balanced, and i would enjoy the whole trip.

Verdelite, i do applaud you, you crafted a great story, and i'm excited to see more of it!
    I'll keep supporting you, there is a lot potential in your game.

And this conclude the review.

Susan, Dalph and Verdelite like this.
  11. Verdelite

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Gallia Thank you so much for your thorough review!
    You adress a lot of good points that I agree with now that you mention them. I'll definitely have to do some more balancing, especially in the later parts of the game which haven't been tested as extensively yet. This includes making the puzzles less confusing.
    I'm sorry that you had a frustrating experience with the battles. In addition to the balancing, I think I have to do a better job with introducing certain 'gimmicks'. I think what made your playthrough harder than necessary was that I didn't explain that you could use Support skills from the menu. I'm glad that despite that you were able to find a bit of enjoyment in Embers' Pyre!
    Thank you for taking the time to play and to review my game :) I hope I can tune it, so you'll be able to enjoy it fully once it's done!

Edit: I forgot to mention that the "white eyes" from Aylwin are just terrible drawing skills from my side and the Aylwin that's stuck in the tree is intended :)

Ughhh and that error ._. It's definitely my loading screen plugin messing up. I don't know what exactly the issue is. I'll make a thread at JS support and maybe someone can help me ;_;

Edit2:
    There is currently the crash "Uncaught Error: Header is wrong" occuring randomly which crashes the game. If that happens to you, please press F8 to open the console and make a screenshot and report to me, so I can pinpoint the error!
    While this error persists, I've placed rainbow crystals as save points all over the maps, so you won't have to start from a distant point if your game happens to crash. (The 'intended' save points are red).

I'll try and hunt the error myself but I gotta sleep for now ;_; I linked the download folder, the upload should be finished in about 1 hour from now.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
    Susan, waynee95 and Dalph like this.
  12. Gallia

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Verdelite ,
    I really enjoyed the story, and i'm up for more testing, i can try to make the error appear again and press F8 as you said, i shall message you about it.

13. Dalph

First Language:
    Italian Curses
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm at the Trial of Mind right now and I didn't cheat nor had too many troubles in the game so far, even if it's true what @Gallia says, it can be very difficult sometimes if you don't grind.
    I suggest you to lower the specs of the enemies overall, maybe not by much but every little bit counts, even just some substantial Health drop.
    I found the exp amount to be actually good (especially in the well, they give 1.000 plus there) and you can level up every 2-4 battles when you reach that point, but you are still too weak, so the real problem for me were the enemies being too difficult.
    I found a small bug\eventing mistake here:
    http://i.imgur.com/jmMiQCY.jpg[​IMG]
    This happened after Cendril got turned into a statue.

I like Bane as a character, she is very interesting, intriguing and has a lot of secrets too apparently.

Susan, Verdelite and Gallia like this.
  14. Verdelite

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Gallia That would be a huge help! Thank you so much!
    I've replayed the entire game again but the error still did not occur for me ._. I don't know if it's just that rare or my computer is completely immune somehow...

@Dalph Ohh, wow I completely missed that, thanks! Regarding the enemies' difficulty, is it all the enemies, including bosses, in general or are you referring to the enemies in the Trials in particular?
    I'm glad you like her! So far, most players I've asked seemed to either really like or detest her xD

15. Dalph

First Language:
    Italian Curses
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Verdelite
    While you are at it, it's better if you slightly reduce some stats to all of them (mainly their Hp and\or Atk if you ask me), even by just a little. It will make the whole experience even smoother in my opinion, while giving a better feeling of progress, all without ruining the challenge too much.

Bane sure is something, hahaha. Her conversations with Russell are very entertaining.

16. Gallia

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Dalph , @Verdelite ,What Dalph stated above i totally agree with, as i said earlier i'm up for more testing.

Verdelite, i shall post soon the answers of the feedback Q&A's.

Dalph and Verdelite like this.
  17. Gallia

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    1. Characters:
    Q:
    Who is your favourite/least favourite character? What do you like/dislike about them? Do they seem believable/consistent?
    A: My favorite character(s), actually the most of them, every character had some development, and all had their personality, they're NOT cardboard boxes in terms of personality, even the nameless recruits are have personalities.
    My least favorite characters are the NPC's in the training grounds (soldiers etc,) they are as interesting as wooden planks and have nothing useful to say.

Is it a protagonist, deuteragonist, tritagonist, antagonist, or the support cast, if they have personality then i'm ok.
    If for example the antagonist is evil just for the sake being evil, then no that is bad character development.

2. Story:
    Q:
    What are your thoughts on the plot progression? Were there any scenes in particular that you liked/disliked? If so, why? Is it engaging enough to make you want to continue playing? What are questions that the story poses and which you would like to see answered? Are there any parts that dragged on/felt rushed? Anything that felt illogical/inconsistent?
    A: I already answered this in my feedback/review, i liked the story, its unique and fun but the only parts that dragged were the unbalanced battles that forced you to grind, or else had a bad time later.

3. Gameplay
    Q:
    What are your thoughts on the combat system? Is it annoying/fun/too easy/too hard/convoluted? Are the dungeons too long/short/just right? Were the puzzles easy/hard/frustrating/rewarding? What about the difficulty/number of enemy encounters? What about the difficulty of the boss battles?
    A: I liked the combat system (anything but mashing buttons in 3 seconds), the clock , circle and DDR sequences during battle are fun ;)
    Dungeons ? are there any ? i mean i completed the game but nothing i could call a dungeon, and if you call the trolls cave a dungeon then its a very easy one hahahaha ;)
    Puzzles are fine, i just didn't enjoy the light puzzle (stepping on floors) but that is a personal opinion, i know there are people who love such puzzles. and the trail of truth was confusing as there are not much hints.
    Other puzzles i completed in 1 go.
    I already explained that the battles feel unfair.
    The bosses are manageable, the Chimera boss was unique as you had to do a specific skill to bring him to the ground, the sad thing is you had to do it 5 times, 3 times is more than enough ;).
    Also what i explained in my feedback, you had to gain exp to stand a chance later, if you're underleveled you have a miserable time XD.

4. Writing
    Q:
    Did the dialogue feel natural/forced/awkward?
    Did you encounter any strangely worded sentences/grammar mistakes/spelling errors?
    If so, feel free to point them out to me! I'm not a native speaker, so your help would be much appreciated!
    A: The dialogue was good for the most part, i told you about the typo's in my feedback.

5. Bugs
    Q:
    Did you encounter any bugs? Please let me know and I'll try to get it fixed asap :)
    A: Written in my feedback review.

6. Other
    Q:
    If there's anything at all you'd like to say, I'm happy to hear it! Thoughts, comments, criticism, .... anything is much appreciated <3
    A:
    • My thoughts: When is the next part coming out? I enjoyed the story.
    • My comments: If you need support you know where to find me ;)
    • My criticism: Not really that i'm assaulting you with criticism, i'm just giving my honest opinions.

Susan, Dalph and Verdelite like this.
  18. Verdelite

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Gallia Thank you! I fixed the typos that you pointed out in the new version and I've also made enemies weaker.
    I don't know when the next part is coming out yet, since I'd like there to be a decent amount of playtime before announcing a new content update :) And don't worry, your criticism is really helpful and much appreciated! I don't feel offended at all ^_^
    Regarding the "Uncaught Error: Header is wrong" issue, I've borrowed another laptop and replayed the game twice but was still unable to reproduce the error :(

I've uploaded v.0.3.2f with weaker enemies and a bit of extra tutorial messages!

19. Gallia

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Verdelite , i will definitely test the new version, but not for a couple of days, i just finished 4 demo's and going to write reviews.
    After that i'll be on here, but i going to relax a bit too ;)

Verdelite likes this.
  20. Verdelite

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hiya everyone :) Thanks to @Foreverwhere for doing a Let's Play on Embers' Pyre! Check it out below!

Susan, waynee95, Mimironi and 3 others like this.