Empathic magic ideas (For a book i'm writing)

Oddball

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
So, I'm writing a book were the main charecter is an empath and am trying to come up with abilities for her if she ever gains the use of magic (Not sure if she will or not) and need some ideas

One idea i had is anticipated mimickry, were she can cast a spell that someone would cast at her or people she's close to before it's cast. This idea seems broken though, and off charecter for her, sense she only fights if she has to, and her charecter/arc doesn't mesh with this

Another idea that's probably been done to death is detecting the presence of people, animals and plants. I suppose this could turn into detecting intentions as well, but that might end up deflating any tension unless she didn't do anything about it

Her charecter arc, she starts off not being able to deal with others pain. Knowing exactly how to deal with it at times, but not doing so. Feeling there pain, and becoming depressed from it. Which i'm planning on changing throughout the course of the book. Otherwise, she's a confident, carefree person, who is a bit sassy at times She's from a nomadic hunter/gatherer tribe which dwelt in an area of the fictinal country they're in with constant wild fires and volcanic eruptions. Fertile, but deadly as well

NinjaKittyProductions

Professional Murder Hobos
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
As an empath, she could have an ability to make her opponent feel what she is. Kind of a link, if she takes damage, the enemy will as well. She could also link her allies for sharing of healing or mental buffs.

Someone with empathy is able to put themselves in someone else's shoes... you could do this literally. An ability that allows her to see, hear, touch/feel, taste, and smell through someone else's senses.

LaFlibuste

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
I think you are taking the wrong approach here. You're thinking with an RPG mindset: "She's from the class "Empath", what skills and powers make sense for such a class?" That's all well and good for a game, but it's a book you are writing. You could certainly find any number of ways for her to acquire any number of vastly different powers or abilities if you so wanted. That questions you ought to ask yourself, imho, are:
- What's the theme, the mood of this story? What powers or abilities would contribute to this?
- Where am I going with this story narratively? What powers or abilities would contribute to this?
- Who is this character? Where is she coming from, and where am I going with her? What powers or abilities, if any, would contribute to her narrative in an interesting and meaningful way?

Also consider that gaining abilities, while a potential increase in raw power, can also be a new challenge. Much like her empath thing is certainly useful but makes it hard for her to deal with others' pain. You should exploit these things, they make for interesting characters and interesting stories.

Oddball

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Eragon and Harry Potter don't feel like RPG's, and they gained new abilities throughout the story. There are also stories were people have a subset of powers

You bring up good points anyway. Thank you

LaFlibuste

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
Yes of course you are right, I'm not saying your characters cannot gain abilities, quite the opposite. I don't know, it's just a feeling I had reading what you had written, I might be mistaken. Just trying to give you food for thought :)

Oddball

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I also might not be focusing on charecter development enough as well, and i'm glad you posted to keep me on track with that. Thanks

Zanckst

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Malay
Primarily Uses
RMMV
May I chime in with prolly uninvited contribution. Actually, it's also alright to write a book with RPG mindset. I say this from my own experience, the first time I played early Final Fantasy and Pokemon games, my brain was whirling with ideas, with elaborative narratives, mentally mumbling while I'm exploring. See, the RPG's don't quite tell exactly what's going is there. If at all, it is much less descriptive, however it is still definitive. When we want to compare an RPG with a book of the same setting and story, we should view the former as the symbolic, and the latter as mechanic.

Now to the topic, generally in fictions, an empath's main repertoire is their emotional scaleness and capability. When imbuing this trait with supernatural power, you may go for something like "elemental awareness" or "environmental awareness", and pinpoints said power towards "soul's signature".

I said it concisely, good luck emphasising, and may be empathically. :)

wander

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Jealous people who have writing skills. I'm so bad at writing. Good luck with your book!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Is the "2 status updates 24h" still in effect?
My first attempt at Pixel Art :blink::) (I have no idea what I'm doing but I'm doing it)
Plugin instructions: *exists*
Plugin: What did he say? *error*
I feel like it's about time I share all the result of my experiment project here. But there's a lot of it.
Me and brother have an ongoing rivalry. We constantly fight for the High Score in Galaga on our arcade cabinet. Today I take back the top with 239,000. He'll be back. (No-Fire glitch is banned)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChrisCKC