Cutiesbae

Beautiful Lie
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
HwBEtBD.png

DISCLAIMER: This game contains violent and bloody elements not suitable for children under 16 years of age. This game is the result of the author's creation and imagination.

I've been inspired from other indie horror games such as The Cat Lady and Downfall (Remigiusz Michalski) and from my love for the psychological horror genre. The plot is entirely made up by me.

Plot: In the small hamlet of Elkedor lives the Baker family, isolated and almost ''inexistent'' for the townsfolk. Arold, family man and lawyer with no fame, enters in a difficult time of his life between alcholism and a falling apart marriage. His days began getting filled by drinking more and more, while his wife and their two children, Sarah and Thomas, started to get detached and cold. One night the two went missing. Desperate at the thought of losing them he decided to investigate until, thanks to clues found in the house, succeeds finding a hidden passage. Lies, compulsions and hatred are the summary of what underlies in the ambitious Baker family.

Screenshots:

screen3.png

yGD3g3.png

LINK DOWNLOAD (Demo Eng): https://mega.nz/#!hmhTiaLa!lHUDyLWhhFY_wMLtNSA6anz2MuVKkvX0sSXu_7us-jo

This demo is merely illustrative. It only contains few parts of the game (No spoilers).

The full game features:
Blood | Alcohol Use | Disturbing Elements
A only True Ending
1-2 Hours of Gameplay
Puzzles

Characters:

Arold Baker: Laura's husband and father of Sarah and Thomas. Brown hair, mustache and beard, thin, brown eyes. Our protagonist. A realist and friendly man, but sometimes he may seem rude.

Laura Baker: Arold's wife and mother of Sarah and Thomas. Short black hair, thin, blue eyes. An insecure and weak woman, but she would do anything for her family. She can't stand lots of things, including her husband's drinking problems.

Sarah Baker: Arold and Laura's daughter, young sister of Thomas. Black hair tied up in two small ribbons, thin, green eyes. Sarah has her head in the clouds half the time and shows no emotion whatsoever. Considered ''The mute girl'' in the hamlet. Her favourite plush is a teddy bear called ''Leo''.

Thomas Baker: Arold and Laura's son, big brother of Sarah. Brown hair, thin, green eyes. Thomas has a big passion for insects and his dream is to study entomology. He's cheerful and a little careless, his dad hopes he will be a successful lawyer.

Minor Characters:

Hanna Meekins: Senior citizen of Elkedor, she lost her husband due to an incurable disease. She isn't quite sympathetic with the Baker family.

And many others...

Credits:

Photography
Nicolas Bruno

Face Set [WIP]
Amu98 Instagram Facebook

Music [WIP]
Setuniman
Audionautix
SoundBible

Tilesets
Pixel Myth Germania - Pixel Art World - Sharm's stuff

Sprites:
Rpg Maker XP - Slim's resource

English Translation
Whimsy Fox
Muffle

Last edited:

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I thought I would try out the first few minutes of this to see how it was. I got as far as when Arnold wakes up from the nightmare.

First off, you have an interesting basis for your story, one with a lot of potential, and if you could get someone to help you with the translation from the Italian that would help get that across. I played through the Italian version as well, and the difference in dialogue quality is huge. Also the music is good, well chosen.

It seems to me that part of what makes a successful horror story is the contrast between the 'normal', daily reality and the horror elements. If that is true, then the normal needs to be conveyed smoothly. I suggest, therefore, that you quickly revisit your opening maps and clear up a few errors. For example, in the town there is a large pond which you have made using the 'cliff' water tile. That should only be used on the upper edge to give the impression of depth, the rest is just normal water. In the house the blue carpet in Arnold's bedroom correctly runs 'under' the wall, whereas in other rooms you haven't done shift+click mapping with the carpet.

The town could benefit from a soft, warm tint with perhaps sun beams. The house, even before the additional tint changes would benefit from some tinting as well. If you look at this tutorial it contains a lot of suggested tint settings which you could use as a basis to find something that you liked. Sadly, the images have now gone.

Laura says that Sarah has gone upstairs, but when Arnold goes up she is not visible. Maybe have her in her room? In several cases I think you are trying to convey the difficulty of communication between Arnold and others, for example, when he meets Sarah outside the house. However, the way you've done it makes it look like there is an error. When he meets her, I have to click twice before anything happens. Maybe instead she takes one step away from him (signifying her dislike/rejection of him) so that he has to take a step towards her and try to speak to her again. It would, I think make it seems more natural and fluid. Similarly, when Arnold comes down the stairs to start the meal, even having a dialogue box on each sprite saying ... would be better than them neither saying anything nor moving. It just looks like you've made a mistake in not putting anything there, even if it isn't a mistake and that is what you intend.

Why am I given a choice about taking the bottle when, as far as I can see, I must take the bottle to progress anything? Most players dislike being given a false choice. If I have to take the bottle, then just let me take it. While I was testing what would happen if I didn't take the bottle, I tried to go upstairs. I then got an error message saying
Unable to find file: Graphics/Faces/People1 This seems particularly odd, as you have not used Faces for the dialogue boxes.

Any one of the things I've mentioned might be thought not that important. However, it is the impression given by all of them together which is important. The first 5 minutes or so of any game is crucial. If you haven't hooked your player at the end of that, many will just close down.

Good luck with this.

Cutiesbae

Beautiful Lie
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I thought I would try out the first few minutes of this to see how it was. I got as far as when Arnold wakes up from the nightmare.

First off, you have an interesting basis for your story, one with a lot of potential, and if you could get someone to help you with the translation from the Italian that would help get that across. I played through the Italian version as well, and the difference in dialogue quality is huge. Also the music is good, well chosen.

It seems to me that part of what makes a successful horror story is the contrast between the 'normal', daily reality and the horror elements. If that is true, then the normal needs to be conveyed smoothly. I suggest, therefore, that you quickly revisit your opening maps and clear up a few errors. For example, in the town there is a large pond which you have made using the 'cliff' water tile. That should only be used on the upper edge to give the impression of depth, the rest is just normal water. In the house the blue carpet in Arnold's bedroom correctly runs 'under' the wall, whereas in other rooms you haven't done shift+click mapping with the carpet.

The town could benefit from a soft, warm tint with perhaps sun beams. The house, even before the additional tint changes would benefit from some tinting as well. If you look at this tutorial it contains a lot of suggested tint settings which you could use as a basis to find something that you liked. Sadly, the images have now gone.

Laura says that Sarah has gone upstairs, but when Arnold goes up she is not visible. Maybe have her in her room? In several cases I think you are trying to convey the difficulty of communication between Arnold and others, for example, when he meets Sarah outside the house. However, the way you've done it makes it look like there is an error. When he meets her, I have to click twice before anything happens. Maybe instead she takes one step away from him (signifying her dislike/rejection of him) so that he has to take a step towards her and try to speak to her again. It would, I think make it seems more natural and fluid. Similarly, when Arnold comes down the stairs to start the meal, even having a dialogue box on each sprite saying ... would be better than them neither saying anything nor moving. It just looks like you've made a mistake in not putting anything there, even if it isn't a mistake and that is what you intend.

Why am I given a choice about taking the bottle when, as far as I can see, I must take the bottle to progress anything? Most players dislike being given a false choice. If I have to take the bottle, then just let me take it. While I was testing what would happen if I didn't take the bottle, I tried to go upstairs. I then got an error message saying
Unable to find file: Graphics/Faces/People1 This seems particularly odd, as you have not used Faces for the dialogue boxes.

Any one of the things I've mentioned might be thought not that important. However, it is the impression given by all of them together which is important. The first 5 minutes or so of any game is crucial. If you haven't hooked your player at the end of that, many will just close down.

Good luck with this.
Thank you so much! I really appreciate your comment. Yes, I'm trying to combine a "happy family" with horror moments. It's my first project, so I hope it will be better in the future. Sarah' isn't in the house for a reason of course :3. I totally agree for the translation, I hope I will find someone. The error is strange indead, I probably missed something. I hope you will finish the demo (after the nightmare) :3.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
"Happy family" - in that case, when Arold comes down for the meal, have the children be talking to each other, or Laura is saying something to them. He's the outsider, they should be comfortable with each other. You need some contrast if his situation is to be highlighted.

Cutiesbae

Beautiful Lie
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
"Happy family" - in that case, when Arold comes down for the meal, have the children be talking to each other, or Laura is saying something to them. He's the outsider, they should be comfortable with each other. You need some contrast if his situation is to be highlighted.
You are right, I will do it

Cutiesbae

Beautiful Lie
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I want to announce that I'm working for a new graphic. Credits: Pixel Myth: Germania
Here's a little preview:

ncdMxj.png

Last edited:

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
That is a lovely tileset and will help make your maps much more interesting. Good choice.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Just a suggestion, but I think it would be good to shrink your interior map by reducing that hallway from what looks like 5 tiles wide to, say, 2 tiles wide. Taking a bed as being 3 feet wide, that hallway is 15 ft (roughly 4.5 meters) wide! Similarly the bathroom on the right is extraordinarily large. You could easily lose the tile between the toilet and the shelf. If it were my map I would move the grey cupboard in the bedroom one tile to the left so that it was next to the bed as most people would use that for their clock etc., and lose another tile there. Not only would these changes make the map look more realistic, it would, I think, help with the horror feeling.

Cutiesbae

Beautiful Lie
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
New demo released

Cutiesbae

Beautiful Lie
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
A little preview of the face set~

newscreenshot-amsibm4k.png

newscreenshot2-qrc6tx3j.png

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I miss my friends from the work experience program... maybe once I move, I'll have a little party with them. I'll even show them my games and perhaps my puppets. Did you know I make working puppets?
Episode 18 is here. We're still making a game in RPG Maker MZ. This week, let's make that cliff map look awesome with the new tiles we made last week! Join us live, now!

I just watched the CG movie HARLOCK: Space Pirate, a retelling of the anime Harlock story. It was pretty awesome, and has given me some inspiration for my space game, at least for parts of it.
How comes, when you are fearful to log anywhere, that somebody close passed from COVID and you learn too late, you suddenly are mortified that others who almost share BDay dates didn't answer the art you made for them?
unknown.png
Trying to make some horror "Corpse Party" style tileset.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElDanto