FirestormNeos

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The answer is it determines your playstyle even if you use the same equipment.
Okay, then why wasn't the equipment sufficient in diversifying gameplay style to begin with?

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Okay, then why wasn't the equipment sufficient in diversifying gameplay style to begin with?
Because you could have an assault rifle that uses an exploding bullet or assault rifle that uses a rubber bullet while still being an assault rifle.

The assault rifle is an automatic firearm in which if you pull the trigger, it will keep shooting. Meanwhile, if you use a revolver, it will only trigger once per pull. In that different mechanism, both of those weapons could be augmented/modded with both exploding bullet or rubber bullet.

Now, if you design different assault rifles that shot a different bullet, you gonna have a lot of assault rifle types, bloating your item list. Augments help to make it more modular.

FirestormNeos

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Because you could have an assault rifle that uses an exploding bullet or assault rifle that uses a rubber bullet while still being an assault rifle.

The assault rifle is an automatic firearm in which if you pull the trigger, it will keep shooting. Meanwhile, if you use a revolver, it will only trigger once per pull. In that different mechanism, both of those weapons could be augmented/modded with both exploding bullet or rubber bullet.

Now, if you design different assault rifles that shot a different bullet, you gonna have a lot of assault rifle types, bloating your item list. Augments help to make it more modular.
in your project, what's the gameplay difference between the exploding bullet and the rubber bullet?

also, does your project have any other equipment besides the weapons?

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
in your project, what's the gameplay difference between the exploding bullet and the rubber bullet?

also, does your project have any other equipment besides the weapons?
In my project, I don't have this. It was an example of how you can use it.

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D aka "Staf00"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Augments help to make it more modular.
I think this is the key takeaway here. Instead of having a bunch of similar but slightly different weapons/armor, you can have a modular piece of equipment that can function as the various aforementioned weapons/armor. And as already mentioned, this saves on database size.

FirestormNeos

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
In my project, I don't have this. It was an example of how you can use it.
Oh. Well, if discussed theoretical game with this system functions like MGSV's system (where the weapon is the only equipment with customization and the modifications are sidegrades to eachother) and not like Minecraft's/WoW's (where you have to put all of the strongest enchantments possible on every weapon and armor piece you have to stay viable), I don't have a problem with it.

duty

Keepin' it simple
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (US)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Why do I need equipment for my equipment? 'Cause stuff's COOL! The more stuff I can get the better.

All joking aside, I implemented both the augment and item upgrades script as a skill management system.

As an example: all mages used staff weapons. Staves had slots for offensive spells and separate slots for defensive/support spells. The black mage staff had two item upgrade slots for offense spells. The white mage staff had two upgrade slots for defense/support spells. The red mage staff had 1 of each.

Armor and accessories were more passive, with slots for elemental/state resistances, evasion bonuses, counter attack options, and weapon unleash effects that changed what happened with the guard command.

Aside from the type and number of slots, each piece of equipment had roughly the same stats. So even though you found that awesome 8 offensive spell slot staff, it didn't have a greater MAT bonus than the 2 slot version.

That's where the permanent augments came in. If you had a weapon or a piece of armor with a slot combination that really fit your play style, you could permanently upgrade its base stat, granting more ATK or MAT to a weapon - or more DEF or MDF to a piece of armor. The equipment got a nice +1 beside its name, and it was kinda a way to give some TLC to your favorite gear.

I never finished the system. I think I may have over complicated it by making the upgrade items really generic elemental stones, and making the upgrade slots REALLY specific. So you didn't just have a generic offensive spell slot. There was a hit all offensive spell slot, too. And a hit 2x offensive spell slot. And a hit 3x offensive spell slot. Etc. So the same fire stone gave you different effects depending on where it was slotted in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

TMW the air quality is so bad, your hair changes color every time you wash it. :LZYyuck:
Finished two animations today. :kaojoy:
Sigony wrote on Ksi's profile.
Just wanna say that I love your videos.
When are you fighting Floyd Mayweather?
A game is a lot like pasta.
Pasta is technically edible after a few minutes of boiling, if a bit chewy, not very nice.
If you cook it with patience, perhaps with some oil, at a rolling boil in salted water, drain it and add a nice sauce with some roasted vegetables, and present it on a beautiful plate, with beautiful cutlery on a beautiful table in a beautiful restaurant with beautiful sounds and scents; VERY NICE.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spartanbuddy