English
Primarily Uses
ENCOUNTERS OF A BOSS KIND
A KID'S TALE
 ​
 ​
Synopsis
 ​
This game is my very first completed game.

It is a very brief game which consists of a opening cut scene, a boss battle, and a closing cut scene that I created for, and entered in the contest "Encounters of a Boss Kind".

This game has a few minor edited since submitting it to the contest.

​
Download
 ​
There are two downloads links available found below; one is for those who already have VX Ace RTP installed, and for those who do not. Both links include .exe and .zip

​
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/uqwksd1iyaafr/Encounters_of_a_Boss_Kind_(Without_RTP)   Without RTP

Encounters of a Boss Kind.zip  Without RTP

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/1ny41jxb4f1kt/Encounters_of_a_Boss_Kind_(With_RTP)   With RTP

​
Story
 ​
While out playing, a group of small children encounter a unlikely foe.

It is a lighthearted tale of ADVENTURE, IMAGINATION, and LOVE.

Characters
 ​
​Sebastien - The Hero

Puck - The Healer

Zena - The Mage

Edd - The Clown/Pirate/Barbarian

Rose - The Princess

Credits
 ​
RPG Maker VX ACE

Myself - KingDanner

Screenshots
 ​
1.png 4.png 6.png 7.png 

8.png

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Clydous

Slowly moseying my way back...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Well, I played through the game. Indeed, a cute little scenario and boss battle! A little C.C. headed your way!

I will say that I would have preferred to move the text along at my own pace by pressing a button, but you left an ample amount of time before each switch, so no worries on that one.
The intro cutscene was cute and imaginative. I liked the interactions between the children. I immediately understood the change from reality to fantasy, and it was verily awesome. Very nice.

The boss fight was...well, it was an experience. I had many skills available to me, but I felt I never had to use them. The fight did not require much strategy, and I was able to easily powerhouse my way through it. And, I mean...hey. I don't know much about what you were going for with this (although I know you mentioned it being lighthearted), but if that was your goal (an easy boss-fight, I mean), then great. If it wasn't, you can always revisit it at your own pace and make it really shine.

The ending cutscene was cute, too, and I somehow knew those two were going to be a couple in the end. Again, it was cute and adorable, and I enjoyed it greatly.

In general, there were a few typos and other things. Those are easily fixable, though.
A good game, all in all. Keep it up! You're doing great. =)

Deleted

The Champion of Uncertainty :D
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses

Well, I played through the game. Indeed, a cute little scenario and boss battle! A little C.C. headed your way!

I will say that I would have preferred to move the text along at my own pace by pressing a button, but you left an ample amount of time before each switch, so no worries on that one.
The intro cutscene was cute and imaginative. I liked the interactions between the children. I immediately understood the change from reality to fantasy, and it was verily awesome. Very nice.

The boss fight was...well, it was an experience. I had many skills available to me, but I felt I never had to use them. The fight did not require much strategy, and I was able to easily powerhouse my way through it. And, I mean...hey. I don't know much about what you were going for with this (although I know you mentioned it being lighthearted), but if that was your goal (an easy boss-fight, I mean), then great. If it wasn't, you can always revisit it at your own pace and make it really shine.

The ending cutscene was cute, too, and I somehow knew those two were going to be a couple in the end. Again, it was cute and adorable, and I enjoyed it greatly.

In general, there were a few typos and other things. Those are easily fixable, though.
A good game, all in all. Keep it up! You're doing great. =)

Hey, thanks so much for your positive feedback, it means a lot.

Reason I did the automatic text was because in the contest rules it specified a beginning and ending cut-scene, and in my mind a cut-scene is an event you can't really control but is automatic, hence I did it with automatic text.
In regard to the boss-battle, I agree it was a bit easy to beat, but I have had no experience in creating a battle of any sort up until the contest, so it was a new concept to me. But even still, I was content with the boss battle how it is now as I felt it fitted with the theme.

Also if you could PM me the typos and other problems you noticed I would much appreciate it.

I really appreciate your advice as it helps me grow as a artist.  :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Rik Vargard

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
Hello,

I downloaded your game and I can't play it.

I get a lot of messages saying "can't find [this file]"

I think you expect everyone to have the RTP on their computer (wich everyone using RPG maker has (as default))

Which means that players that don't have RPGmaker installed on their PC won't be able to play your game.

So here's my 1 cent per suggestion :

- Also make a downloadable game file that includes RTP, BUT then you'll have all of it, even all those files you don't use in your game.Means big game file.

- Or Copy/Paste the files that you use in your game into your project folders so they get compressed with the whole game, without those you don't use.

Voilà, just saying,

Keep it up,

I hope to play this one anytime :)

Rik

Deleted

The Champion of Uncertainty :D
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hello,

I downloaded your game and I can't play it.

I get a lot of messages saying "can't find [this file]"

I think you expect everyone to have the RTP on their computer (wich everyone using RPG maker has (as default))

Which means that players that don't have RPGmaker installed on their PC won't be able to play your game.

So here's my 1 cent per suggestion :

- Also make a downloadable game file that includes RTP, BUT then you'll have all of it, even all those files you don't use in your game.Means big game file.

- Or Copy/Paste the files that you use in your game into your project folders so they get compressed with the whole game, without those you don't use.

Voilà, just saying,

Keep it up,

I hope to play this one anytime :)

Rik
Hi Rik, thanks for making me aware of this problem, as it did not cross my mind to include a RTP version of the game for those who do not have RTP.

I have followed your suggestion and included a downloadable version that includes RTP. But to keep the game file as small as possible I have only included materials I have used in the game. This NEW download should work for those who don't have RTP, but if for some reason this does not work or any other problems occur please let me know and I will fix the problem.

Also please feel free to leave me honest feedback on what your thoughts are on the game once you have played it, as I enjoy hearing peoples opinions on my creations.

Many thanks for your insight.  :)

KingDanner 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

While I take a break from developing RPGs, I'm thinking of doing something I've never done before: actually playing an RPG released by someone else. Any suggestions?
Good lord this is taking forever, I'm not even out of the opening really and I've still got hours worth of work to do before I get to the main gameplay loop. Orphan of Time will probably be done some time next year, If I'm lucky.
Finally the new pc is working!! But it seems a lost my license to Windows 10 because of the hardware changing :(
Tune in next time for our newest Episode: "PC issues return! Palm uses every swear in the lexicon!"
gotta update my game project thread page later

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RosyNoodle