Encrpyting RPG Maker VXA Lite

Sumasuun

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Not sure where to post this but this seemd like the right place.

So my friend and I were working on something in Lite, but it doesn't encrypt things it packages (unless I missed something and ours are outdated or something)..

So we were wondering if we got someone who owned RMVXA to encrypted it for us that would be okay, and what we would need to provide as any proof that we didn't do anything illegal.

Last edited by a moderator:

ロリ先輩

ロリだけど先輩だよ
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
You are absolutely correct- The Lite variant of VX Ace lacks encryption functionality. It should still create a nice package for distribution, however.

Sumasuun

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Thank you, now I just need an answer for the second part. =)

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Why do you need it encrypted, if it's just a free game that you're distributing?

GrandmaDeb

Modern Exteriors Posted!
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Well, one reason would be if it contains commercial tile sets.....

Sumasuun

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
There are two reasons really.

1. As GrandmaDeb said there are some resources which we can't legally share and let others use, although we're currently discussing another option while we're using Lite.

2. There are some really complex event systems we'd rather not let others copy and use. Unlike resources event systems are harder to spot if they're copied and if they're used in an encrypted game without our permission we wouldn't be able to find out really. My friend spent a lot of time making complex events while being limited in variables and common events and we would prefer it if people couldn't just take that hard work and pass it off as their own.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
ALL encryption can be broken. Even the encryption that comes with the full version of Ace can be broken without too much difficulty, if you have the right tools. So even if you COULD encrypt it, it's not a guarantee that those things will remain hidden. It just stops the most casual of users getting to them.

My initial thought was that maybe you were making a commercial game, which you can't do with Lite.

Sumasuun

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Yes, I know all encryption can be broken.. Especially if it's for a game, if you want to go to crazy lengths there are a lot of methods.. But most people who would go that far or have that knowledge wouldn't be interested in what I'm trying to protect any how..

On the other hand, most people who would/may steal resources and systems from another project tends not to have the knowledge to do so.. Unless of course there is an easily accessable decryption program for Ace floating around, but obviously such things shouldn't be (and probably can't be) discussed here..

I am aware that we cannot make a commercial game with Lite (thank you for the reminder though, and it's good that you mention it as not everyone may know, unfortunately people don't always read the EULA and terms and such).

Finally, I ask again.. Would it be okay if we had someone encrypt the game using Ace (full version) and if so what would we need to provide in terms of documentation to prove we're not using an illegal version of Ace or something..?

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm going to let one of the admins answer that last question, because I don't really know. Sorry.

Creative Ed

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Maybe there's some kind of encryption software that will allow you to encrypt the game's folder?

I remember to have played one or two rm games that clearly didn't use the default encryption.

Xypher

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
they would most likely involve scripting, which is another limitation on lite

GrandmaDeb

Modern Exteriors Posted!
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Not sure where to post this but this seemd like the right place.

So my friend and I were working on something in Lite, but it doesn't encrypt things it packages (unless I missed something and ours are outdated or something)..

So we were wondering if we got someone who owned RMVXA to encrypted it for us that would be okay, and what we would need to provide as any proof that we didn't do anything illegal.
I am not any kind of authority, and I would also like to hear from the admins.

But ISTM that if you are allowed to share a game with a friend with LITE, and that game is allowed to be opened by that friend with their full version, and they are allowed to re-save it in encrypted form, then that is all you are asking to do.

/me shrugs

Sumasuun

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Hm.. It's been here about a week but as far as I can ell no Admin has taken a look or if they have they haven't answered my question. Is there somewhere else I should have asked? Or will I just have to wait..?

Lunarea

Artist
Global Mod
Reaction score
It's a valid question, and I'm going to look into it. :)

But just my initial impression is to say no, I'd rather that you didn't try to get around Lite limitations by having someone else encrypt the project for you.

Creative Ed

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
they would most likely involve scripting, which is another limitation on lite
I seriously doubt that. What I'm saying is if you'd use an external encrypting software, all you'd need to do would be probably choose which folders to encrypt.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I seriously doubt that. What I'm saying is if you'd use an external encrypting software, all you'd need to do would be probably choose which folders to encrypt.
Wrong - if you encrypt a folder without telling RM how to decrypt it, then the game cannot run.

All external decryption utilities are based on the assumption that you don't want a third party interception a file to read it, but that the correct target decrypts them before using them.

In this case however they want the target users to be able to use the folders without decrypting them, and that is only possible if the program reading the data (Ace Lite) can decrypt them. Which isn't possible with an external encryption program.

Zeriab

Huggins!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
All external decryption utilities are based on the assumption that you don't want a third party interception a file to read it, but that the correct target decrypts them before using them.

In this case however they want the target users to be able to use the folders without decrypting them, and that is only possible if the program reading the data (Ace Lite) can decrypt them. Which isn't possible with an external encryption program.
Unless it's a wrapper which at the same time ensures the wrapped program (RGSS Player) can read the file normally.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I'm having a fun time working with the MZ RTP. The waterfall hasn't changed, though, so I'm wondering if they didn't make a new one or if they forgot to put it in...

good progress on the typescript Definitions files almost done all the Manager and yet I still have to do the Battle Manager...who is seriously so much data lol
Are the export options for MZ known yet?
I thought they were supposed to be my friends T_T
Anyone else ever feel bad about always needing to ask for help on their game..?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RegularManGuy