Encryption for default assets necessary to publish RM2K3 games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marby

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hi to you all!

I hope you all are well in this times! Last summer I purchased licenses for some great versions of the RPG maker software. Just for fun I decided to figure out how RPG Maker 2003 works and were impressed by its capabilities. So I indeed consider seriousely to make a game with this engine. Of course I would like to publish it once it is finished to enable the people to play it. Unfortunately, RM2K3 is not able to encrypt its ressources on its own. Of course you can create an installer file, but once the game is installed, the ressources can be found unencrypted on the computer. I previousely read somewhere, that ressource encryption is necessary to publish RM games. Goes this also for the RTP ressources of RM2K3? I don't hope so, because this restriction would prevent me to publish my game once it is ready. Or what else can I do to ensure the ressources are safe?

Note, that I will only use the default assets (thanks to @Kes I earlier learned they are called RTP) and modifications of these ressources to create my game. Perhaps I'll also use some additional music and sound effects, which I created on my own. What do you think: Am I allowed to publish such a game?

Thanks,
Marby

Poryg

Dark Lord of the Castle of Javascreeps
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You can export the game resources from the editor in xyz format. But it's kinda tedious.

Marby

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hi Poryg,

Thanks for answering that quickly. If this is sufficiant, it quite is a good hint. I'll try it out. Hope it works for the music files as well.

Thanks,
Marby

Marby

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hi again,

xyz-format works for image data (tiles, parallaxes and so on), but unfortunately not for SE and music data. For all the other files I consider to use GhostMouse, AutoHotkey or something like that, to make the conversion to xyz easier.

Any idea to protect the music / sound effect data?

Thanks,
Marby

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I previousely read somewhere, that ressource encryption is necessary to publish RM games.
not exactly:

default RTP resources don't need to be encrypted, in none of the Makers.
purchased shop DLC always requires encryption to be enabled, in all cases, and can only be used if there is some form of encryption.
For other resources it depends on the artist and the licence you got for the other resources.

Marby

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
N/A
Thank you very much Andar for your clarification!
Guess that saves me a lot of work!
Since I'm only going to use RTP resources this time (plus some modifications of the RTP and my own stuff), for me and my project this time this one is answered.

Nevertheless, to completely answer the question it still is of interest what to do, to encrypt e. g. purchaed shop DLC. With the xyz-format, image data should be easy to handle. But what's about purchased shop music?

Marby

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
N/A
I made up my mind to let this thread close. Since the title is "Encryption for default assets necessary to publish RM2K3 games?" it refers to default assets (RTP) only. Therefore, the answer of @Andar is the information needed here. If I encounter another specific problem about encrytion, which is unclear to me I will open another thread.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Just report your first post and let the mods know your question is answered, and they'll close the thread for you :)

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP

This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

BCj
Gotta love some gossip :D
Please do not buy games from g2a.com. The sellers have total power over you. The website has many scam sellers. It looks cheap, but the key code didn't work.
A while back I was having fun making my own custom tiles, then I hit carpet... why is it so difficult!? Lol.
Weekend is finally here... what would you like to see (?):
1) Pokemon into zelda minish-cap style
or
2) Pokemon into zelda gbc style
or
3) Zelda into pokemon style

#= Choose ===============#
||__[ Full mockup ]_[ Charset ]__||
#=======================#

Forum statistics

Threads
Members