Octotron

Drifter
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So I don't know much about the deployment part of RPG Maker, so I want to know what the "Encryption Key" field does. I haven't found anybody explaining it before online, but I may have missed it.

From my assumptions, you set a word like "Lorem" for instance, then enter it somewhere when importing an encrypted project to un-encrypt the files or something? I'm not sure, anyone know?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
An encryption key is always the code for the mathematical function that encrypts the data, whatever it is.
setting no key will disable encryption even if checked to encrypt.

however you don't need to remember it, because you have no way to un-encrypt the game anyway. The engine keeps the key internally on deployment to prevent players from simply copying your artwork.
but because you as the developer have the unencrypted project files, you never have to unencrypt manually.
That's why no one bothers discussing this online - they don't need that key ever, but it is required to be set for the engine encryption to work.

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Kind of. There isn't, as far as I know of, a way to do it inside RPG Maker. It's something that can be used on Degica's end through customer support if you lose access to your game.
An encryption key is always the code for the mathematical function that encrypts the data, whatever it is.
Really? That seems like kind of a big deal...one would think that it would automatically generate a key into the field, or have an error pop up if one attempted to encrypt without entering something.

Last edited:

Octotron

Drifter
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

however you don't need to remember it, because you have no way to un-encrypt the game anyway. The engine keeps the key internally on deployment to prevent players from simply copying your artwork.
but because you as the developer have the unencrypted project files, you never have to unencrypt manually.
That's why no one bothers discussing this online - they don't need that key ever, but it is required to be set for the engine encryption to work.
Ah I see, interesting, thank you for the answer. RPG Maker has a strange way of doing it! Anyway, my question is good and answered.

Samcry

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

Actually that's not what I experienced. I checked encryption for both audio and images, without providing a key, and the folders ended up encrypted.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Writing a game about my trauma and I want to do a level about struggling with my sexuality. It's a horror game and each level is different with a different monster chase but I have no idea how to go about this level any ideas?
It's been a while since i posted so here's something i've been working on.
Game_Mockup7_6.png
Engine: RPG Maker VX Ace

I've decided to stop buying candy in supermarket and bulk buy 4.5kg of candy. The disadvantage of that is, now I eat a lot of candy. -_-
Microsoft has consumed Activision Blizzard. Makes me wonder if they're gonna make Blizzard Blizzard again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WISDOMDICK