Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
"This is...your End Game."
Welcome.

Story Overview: The year is 7999 in the world of Elefor.

The time has come for an evil centuries-old creature to wake up from its slumber. Felix, a generally carefree and charismatic thief of sorts, has been unwillingly drafted in seeing that this ancient evil is stopped. Through a series of events, Felix meets and secures the help of an unlikely group of individuals, dedicated (somewhat) to aiding him in his quest to stop this horror from emerging. Will this team of heroes be successful in its attempts to thwart evil and bring about peace for the next one thousand years? Or will evil reign supreme in its evil reign of evil...evil? You decide...(and when I say that, I mean either you win and become a hero or die an embarrassing death...of embarrassment)

-----Click HERE to download! Links directly to Drop Box for easy downloading! =D

END GAME was my entry to RPG Maker's 24th Birthday contest, "Encounters of the Boss Kind." It consists of an intro cutscene, a single boss battle, and an ending cutscene. The story, itself, while beginning on Chapter 23, actually has no real background and was created solely for the purpose of this contest. If it receives a lot of positive feedback, though...who knows? Maybe I'll actually flesh out the story and make a preceding 22 chapters of comedy and such. The boss, itself, requires a bit of knowledge in terms of strategy and some guess and check work. Some skills will prove to be more useful than others in certain situations, but you will need to make use of the limited resources available to you and make tactical decisions throughout the entirety of the fight. Will you prevail??

End Game should (depending on how often your party fails) take roughly an hour or two to complete. Careful...the final boss can certainly prove to be quite a challenge, but it is not an impossible enemy to defeat!

Characters:

Felix: Our hero. Felix is a carefree thief who is unwillingly drafted into the destruction of an ancient evil he's never even heard of before. Quick-witted and oftentimes quite sarcastic, he is a secretive man who secretly keeps secrets of secret origin. He likes cheese.

Sonia: The healer. A traveling priestess of a famous church, Sonia has come a long way. After running into Felix by chance, she decides to join him in his quest to smite evil. She lives for redemption from her past life (which we'll certainly not go into detail about here...).

Elise: The witch. Elise has done more research into magic and spells and all of that fun stuff for longer than she might care to admit. A spell-caster who fails at anything even remotely physical...except fleeing. She's quite good at that.

Hork: The brawler. Hork is a skilled hunter and survival expert, having lived in the wild with his clan for years. He knows about herbs. Just about the dopiest guy one could ask for, the dim-witted expression on his face speaks mounds.

Screenshots:

pefz.png

x978.png

6tfn.png

Credits:

Writing: Clydous

Boss Battle: Clydous

Just about everything else that could possibly be referenced to at all within the entirety of this project: RPG Maker VX Ace

Thanks for your time, and best of luck~!

Last edited:

Makio-Kuta

Canadian Goose
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Cute little game! errr sorry What an evil game filled with evil and horrible creatures!! Much evilness was to be had.

I will start by saying---I didn't beat the boss haha

The main cast are really fun. They play off of each other well and have nice personalities. Hork is an absolute dear even though I typically don't like that sort of character archtype, he was such a sweet, little idiot.

It was very strange to go into battle without having a chance to look through the menus and get a feel for my characters beforehand. Luckily, it was pretty easy to figure out where each stands quickly into the battle in terms of their usage. It was just jarring to me.

I laughed so hard when that slime came out of the ritual. and laughed even harder when I hit it and it meowed. That slayed me. Meowing slime ahaha

I got up to the red stage. The large hit everyone fire attack pummeled me to the ground (as I was playing it pretty unsafely as far as how much HP I had during the green stage) and I had a hard time coming back because the revival item brings you back with 1HP. It quickly became obvious that 1HP wasn't going to be enough to hold my team together long enough to apply some healing spell bandages and I succumbed to defeat--Dear Sonia bravely going out with a hammer swinging dance move.

I'll probably try to fight it again, now that I'll understand the value of that status effect shielding spell a bit earlier into the battle. lol

ThatMaestroGuy

You are lovely~
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks for your feedback!

--Fun stuff about the game you maybe shouldn't read if you haven't played it yet--

Indeed, Hork is an absolute comic relief character, and I thoroughly enjoyed writing what few lines he did have. I enjoyed writing for all of the characters, really, despite how cliché the story wound up becoming (at least in my opinion).
I had honestly thought about giving the player a chance to look at all of their items/skills before fighting the boss but opted for just letting the cutscene play out and have them look at all resources available to them during the battle. I certainly hope that wasn't a bad move on my end.

Fun-fact: While browsing what sound effects were available to me (in terms of striking the enemy), I heard the cat meow and immediately decided to use it for the final boss, feeling the concept behind it was hilarious. I'm glad someone else did, too. =D

As I'm sure you're already aware that the boss has four forms (or does it!?), I would easily consider its third form to probably be the most difficult due to its crazy magic stuff. Its fourth form is tough, to be sure, but if one knows...particular weaknesses (mayhaps?), it can go down quite quickly...

I DO hope you try again and defeat the final boss to receive the game's SUPER AWESOME SPECIAL EPIC ending. It's not cliché at all...no, really!!

And thanks, so much, again for your feedback! It is highly appreciated! =D

Amysaurus

Digital/Pixel Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
Heh - I remember you yelling at me to try the updated version once you fixed this xD

Welp, I only had the chance to play through it once, and I ended up getting decimated a little after the red form showed up. I really loved how you were able to build up the characters and plot so quickly, despite only having one scene to do so. All the character personalities went together nicely (Hork was my favorite), and the slime had a very nice "Hey, guess what? I'm evil," vibe going on.

AND YES, AND I'M GOING TO BEAT DOWN THAT SLIME IN ROUND 2.
Overall, great job! :3

Makio-Kuta

Canadian Goose
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Yeah, I'm definitely gonna give it another whirl. I need to see this SUPER AWESOME SPECIAL ENDING.
hahaha It is a little cliche, but I think there's nothing wrong with cliches, especially when the person writing KNOWS it is cliche and is playing that to their advantage. The game doesn't take itself very seriously and that makes it work.

I don't think limiting the player to the battle screen to read their skills was a bad move. It was jarring, but it didn't make me unable to play the game. My head had a moment of "wait! How will I know what to do!" and then it said "You ninny you can read skill descriptions in battle!" It caused a brief moment of 'who am i what is happening who are these people' but it was nothing bad. I like the opening cutscene the way it is and giving that down time to the player for fiddling in the menu would really take away some of its urgency.

In this way, the characters being a bit cliche helped. Then the player technically has already been given a quick understanding of their character types just from that. The hero, the healer, the witch, and the -guy who hits hard and finds thinking harder.- (not that they were cliche in battle style. There were a lot of unique things I really liked. Elise's MP healing move and status shield and Hork's herbs and MP healing move. Hammer Time - okay I just liked making Sonia dance.
Next time I have a chance to evily wake the ultimate evil from his evil slumber for a rumble of the most evil kind; I will best evil and return it to the evil place from whence it came!! Presumably.

Dalph

Nega Ralph™ (RM Tyrant)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian Curses
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I also died during the 3rd round (the fire form)...ahah

But wouldn't be better if you were allowed to save just before the battle?

Maybe open the menu through events so the player can save, just for not force the player into watching everything again (if he\she loses). -can be frustrating if you ask me-

Anyway, you clearly have skills in character development, I like how you developed your characters fastly.

I like also how you have to use strategy against the boss, instead of using the same attack-heal-attack-heal...you have done a very good job on that.

I will try again, I want to see how this ends (it's so interesting).

Last edited by a moderator:

ThatMaestroGuy

You are lovely~
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you for the positive feedback, everyone! And not just the positive feedback...but the constructive criticism and ideas you've chimed in on, too! I appreciate those the most, as those are what help me (and game developers, in general) grow and do better on future projects! =D

@Qtpi0121:

The version released in the first post is yet another updated version that, I believe, has fixed all bugs/typos/etc...and even then, I'm STILL thinking of adding maybe one or two different lines. But yes! You will destroy the ancient evil! And win! And get the SUPER AWESOME SPECIAL EPIC ending!
@Makio-Kuta:

Your words are flattering...I sincerely appreciate them! And yeah...sometimes my brain does stuff like that, too. It's always entertaining to see (and realize) just how quickly the mind can work...but yes! You will destroy the ancient evil! And win! And get the SUPER AWESOME SPECIAL EPIC ending!
@Dalph:

I had thought about that, too...the issue of having to read through the cutscene before every attempt. It CAN be annoying, I know...but firstly, I didn't know how to make it so that players could save JUST before the cutscene...and secondly, I kind of felt that having a screen or something open up JUST before the battle would take away from the story/whole feel of the thing. Not sure what I could do with that...maybe put out a second version that skips the most of the first cutscene and gets straight to the fight? I dunno...but yes! You will try again! You will destroy the ancient evil! And win! And get the SUPER AWESOME SPECIAL EPIC ending!
Also, as Dalph mentioned, I'd like for there to be a continue point when a player is defeated by the final boss...are there any commands I can throw onto the Game Over screen that immediately allow a player to choose between Continuing and Giving up? If so, please let me know...I'll totally update it to save players time!

Makio-Kuta

Canadian Goose
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'm not sure if it is quite what you want or not, but on the 'Battle Processing' event command you can select 'Continue Even When Loser' which gives you a conditional branch for if they lose the fight. Then you could use a 'Show Choice' in the lose branch to retry (and use labels to put them back at just before the battle) or give up (return to title screen or game over screen). This wouldn't put it over the Game Over screen with the choice though. ((Unless maybe you could fake the game over screen with Change BMG and Show Picture commands lol - I'm not sure--I'm just an artist; my understanding of the program is pretty limited)) It SOUNDS like it'll work in theory. But I apologize ahead of time if there is some glaring and obvious logic hole in this theory. haha

I do agree that having a forced save screen pop up just before the boss would kill the mood. I guess the other idea is to, put that forced save in - Save a game there - take the forced save command out for the released version, but keep the save file there.

Anyone who plays the first time is gonna want to see the cutscene (that's part the point of the contest!) but that save file is there for people who have already seen it. Hmmmm well, just a thought. lol

Dalph

Nega Ralph™ (RM Tyrant)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian Curses
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
There are a few scripts around that makes you retry the game (or the battle) on the Game Over screen, but I haven't personally tested them and I don't know if they'll make you retry everything or just the battle itself.

Or you can follow Maki's suggestion and add "Continue Even When Loser".

After you lose the battle you can transfer the characters into a sort of Limbo (basically a black map, some sort of place before the Death) and add the two choices:

RETRY -makes you retry the battle-

GIVE UP -takes you to the real Game Over screen- THE DEATH

I agree that maybe forcing the game into saving before the battle isn't really a good idea, but you can also use an autosave script for that (the game will save automatically before the battle and the player won't even notice).

I will definitely try it again today.

ThatMaestroGuy

You are lovely~
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ah...very well. I'll look into a fix to make it less annoying to have to sit through the cutscene every time.

In any case, I look forward to hearing about who is the first to win over the final boss and save the world!!!!...possibly....

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Downloaded it, though I had trouble finding the link. ;)

ThatMaestroGuy

You are lovely~
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh, I am SO sorry about that! I know it's not very clear on the first post...I'll see what I can do about making it bigger and more noticeable for others!!!!! =P

AdiKusuma

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
Can you add non RTP version?

just a suggestion for ->someone with slow internet like me

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

20 festive cards can now be unlocked in BiteMe!

The cards are permanent, but can only be unlocked in December!
Once the year is over, you won't be able to unlock the cards, or to upgrade it.
https://johndoenews.itch.io/biteme-storymodeCard141-160-Ad.png
Finally showing some updates again
I think it's ready - Chapter Selection:
unknown.png
On another more gaming topic, I paid 20 bucks for a visual novel to emotionally destroy me. I may write an entry about that.
1638611395177.png
Reading about metaverses recently. I can totally imagine myself in the future, logging in with VR glasses to a virtual beach villa sitting in a virtual chair, with a virtual laptop facing the sea...coding 16-bit RM.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
uwaphua