luzi

Freelance Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Can I ask some question about the demo? I can't continue the game because after I got Cillian and Siglud to join my party and went to Gorain Port, when I went back to the broken bridge I don't know where to go next. (I'm not good at English so maybe I misssed something.)

Edit:

I went past that point. Now I'm at Agara and went into the bar and talk to Westfort. I got Fire Bomb but I now don't know where to go next.

(I went up to Maut Valley and beat the dragon but still can't find a way.)

Last edited by a moderator:

PixelLuchi

Quiet Pixel Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
UK English
Primarily Uses
Hey, long time no post everyone. I just needed a bit of a break from anything to do with RMing ( only recently started working on ERD again ), but I'll get into the swing of things again real soon.

@Coffee Straw: You would need to head west into the cave that you came through, and blow up that blocked entrance that you couldn't get pass earlier. You can then go to the town of Varva and stock up, before heading north into the Ulaid Forest. It is the last area in the demo.

Regarding progress, I know some of you will be a bit annoyed at me for this, but I've gone back to using the FE portraits ( it has some hold on me, probably because I became attached to the characters that way just by means of their expressions ). I just think they capture the characters so much better ( don't be angry with me, Ronove, I still love your portraits ;_; ) and I'm getting a lot better at editing portraits as well. Here's Krei and Laine in a cutscene.

Just in case some of you were wondering what he looked like. The portraits fade in and out now as well, as well as slide in. All evented.

Should I make him playable? ^^

These edits fit the VX sprite style so well, even down to the colour pallete. A rip is still a rip, yeah, but I'm not going commercial.

Here's the character that Krei was based off. I had to pretty much sprite his entire outfit from scratch. Using only his sprite as a reference.

Menu got a bit of a rehaul as well. I ditched the Garamond font in favour of a sans-serif font. Looks a lot better, imo.

A lot of things, basically, have changed. Apart from the actual gameplay, which remains the same. I'll probably sprite/edit a couple of more NPCs ( I know I have Vasilios, Leonides and General Lucius done ). And I'll parallax when hell freezes over, lol. So yeah, not on my list at all regarding rehauls. So now it's back to the drawing board and extend ERD's already lengthy demo ( 6+ hrs ).

luzi

Freelance Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMXP
I've finished the demo. I had a lot a fun! I'm not much of a reviewer but I can tell you that I enjoyed every single minute I spent on this game.

I never had such a great RM game in a long time. Hope you finish the full version soon!

Chaneque

Prince of Strange Things
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I think that you shouldn't change the portraits back to FE. I much preferred the other portraits, as they made the whole game look a lot more attractive and smooth.

And I liked the Garamond D:

EvilEagles

Stargazer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
Other
Until this game is finished, it's always your choice to change the portraits and stuff. But just remember one thing, don't waste too much time just switching the portraits back and forth.

A quick two cents: Make it optional.

Volrath

Knight in Sour Armor
Degica
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I think that you shouldn't change the portraits back to FE. I much preferred the other portraits, as they made the whole game look a lot more attractive and smooth.
I'm inclined to agree. Editing Fire Emblem portraits is a great option for placeholders, but I can't imagine choosing that in favor of custom art created especially for you. Some of that may be colored by my own lack of art talent - I'm always eager and extremely thankful for any material that someone else is willing to help me out with, especially since they don't stand to get paid. I suppose the other side of the coin is that it can be hard to get an artist to commit to doing portraits for an entire freeware game's cast rather than just main characters. I have certainly run into that problem in the past - it can be a consistency issue but I'd rather take the occasional criticism for clashing art styles than not show off whatever amount of custom art that I do have. But yeah it's of course your choice and even though I haven't said much in this thread, I have followed this project for quite a while so good luck with all of it!

blueperiod

At night above our sleeping heads
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English/Spanish
Primarily Uses
N/A
I say go with what you're most comfortable with. Personally, I use Fire emblem edits because they take very little time to edit, which leaves a lot of time to work on other stuff. However, if you have an artist handy, there's really no substitute for custom art. So yeah, it's really a question of convenience vs having that extra sheen of paint.

Apple

Doodlin' crap 'til I die
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
What Volrath said. Custom art is always better, and you get that high quality portrait for free, so not using them is such a waste.

A-Moonless-Night

WINTER IS COMING
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Just my two cents: I like the original portraits better.

Ikari

Noir Spiral
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Ah, this game brings me back nostalgia. Back then at night when I used to play this... was awesome xD.

PixelLuchi

Quiet Pixel Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
UK English
Primarily Uses
Ok, I tell you what. I'll keep the custom art for the public release, and I'll keep the rips for myself ( nostalgia, you know. Reminds me of ERD's early days and how it all began. :) ). More work for me, but I'm in no rush to finish this project of mine. Good things take time, you know. I can't make the different portrait styles optional because it would mean changing the face graphics, menu graphics etc. So yeah, that option is out. And no-one in their right mind will go and download a 100mb+, 6 hour long game just to see different portrait styles. :p

I need to break out those pencils again so I can start doing more portrait art ( I draw with my left hand, and colour the art ( after it has been digitally inked, as Ronove has been so kind to do. I couldn't in all conscience let her work go to waste. ;_; ) with my right hand, so I'm ambidextrous in a way. ^^

Yes Laine, let's move onwards to Chapters 3 and 4. I've delayed in it long enough.

So enough with my procrastinating. ><

When Chapters 3+4 are hopefully released, the estimated game length of ERD will be around 12-15 hours. And that excludes the extra stuff I'm going to include. :)

PixelLuchi

Quiet Pixel Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
UK English
Primarily Uses
So I'm back after a two-month long hiatus ( which is forever in terms of browsing the Net and not posting here XD ) and I will once again start resume working on ERD.

I hope the general interest hasn't stalled, because I don't plan to give up on this, even if it is taking a little longer than I thought it would. I also haven't drawn anything ERD-related for a while, so I'll have to see how my art skills are shaping up as well. As many of you prefer, custom art wins in the long run. :)

Naturally, no updates as of yet ( haven't really worked on the game since October ) but yeah, keep your eyes pinned to the thread.

And it's nice to be back, too.

PixelLuchi

Quiet Pixel Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
UK English
Primarily Uses
Quick little update:

I started mapping the ( huge ) city of Falias ( originally, it was called Larisa, but I since changed it ), which is the capital of SangReal. It is currently under oppressive rule from the Senate, and despite the city's attractive exterior, the citizens live in fear and uncertainty. Their general feeling is not helped by the many guards that patrol the city's streets around the clock. That and the strange, creeping feeling that many citizens report as they walk the streets. Could it be related to the Nyx...?

Northern section of Falias.

South Gate of the city of Falias. It houses the residential section of the Senate. Heavily patrolled.

And because I felt like drawing something badass...

??? Laine?! What happened to you...? Uh oh...
I'm also thinking of splitting the game into two 6 or so hour volumes. So I will wrap everything up in the current version that I'm working on, which means that Laine and Co. will only be visiting the capital in Volume Two. Still plenty of exploring to do in the 1st half, though. :] I'll probably start adding in those sidequests now, since the main body of Volume One is nearly done ( just need to write one more lengthy cutscene, where a lot is revealed, then the game ends ).

luzi

Freelance Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMXP
I like the atmosphere of your capital city. BTW, can we continue the save in the second volume?

Neoz Kaho

Crazy Historian
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
Glad that you're back Luchino. I've been looking forward to your return and I'm glad to see the progress on Enelysion. Falias looks great. :D

EFizzle

Rum aficionado
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Oh wow, I'm really diggin' your city maps, makes me want to create large cities like those! But I noticed that when your grass tiles hit your stone tiles, there's just a sudden change, it's really weird, I'd try to add a boarder to the stone tiles, or something. It's the only thing that bugs me... And I like it when games are split up, makes things easier. So I'm really looking forward to your first part! :guffaw:

PixelLuchi

Quiet Pixel Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
UK English
Primarily Uses
@LuZi: Yes, you will be able to transfer over your old save files into Volume 2. :]

@Neoz: I figured I needed a break or so, but back into the full swing of things now.

@Yonma: I do have some tutorials in my signature if you're interested in learning my techniques. I try not to overdo my maps nowadays ( which is why I stay away from parallax mapping, I have a tendency to overdo things that way... Even if it does have the pro of breaking the grid and having unlimited layers )

Some of the below screens I posted in the Screenshot thread over time, but you'll have a hard time finding them now ( since that thread is huge... ). My personal favourite screens. The ones I just stare at over and over again. :]

This (old) map remains an all-time favourite of mine. If one ignores the statues facing the same way. XD

And this one. Has its errors ( like the too bright light ( moonbeams...? ) but it's one of my personal favourites too.

Pretty much inspired by Ara Fell ( a stunningly visual, incomplete RM3K game ).

My earliest maps looked nothing like the above shots though. My graphical style was rather inconsistent ( I kept mixing resources together: like Mack and RTP, they don't go together, the colour palete and style is different, my lighting effects like sunbeams were too harsh etc, and I had to experiment for an age to get the tints that you see now. Believe me, a simple tint can change the entire look and feel of a map, but the major trick is to keep it subtle. Never, ever overdo it. :]
And let's not even get started with the portrait issues. Dare I say I've become far too attached to the Fire Emblem ones... It is my biggest drawback right now.

Do you blame me? Look how adorable they are together... :[

I pretty much got to know my characters through the gorgeous bust portraits from FE9 ( my edits, obviously :] ) I can get up to 4 characters on the screen this way too. And the chibi sprites are perfect little minatures of the portraits, it's too cute. XD

*sigh* Ahem. Back to work on Volume one it is ( yeah, I'm still busy tweaking the 7 long hour monster. And I'm only around 2 hours in now. Hope I didn't assault you with too many screenies. XD

PixelLuchi

Quiet Pixel Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
UK English
Primarily Uses
I am quite thankful I joined the Game Making Drive, for it has given me not a only a schedule to work with, but it's also my responsibility not to break my team's chain ( even if we are currently dead last. But the real deal starts next week. >:} ). So, I've done quite a bit of work on ERD so far ( mainly just reviewing and running through the whole project from end to end ), but I'm also working on new areas and cities.

What I've done so far:

- Rewrote the introduction scene for the game. The continent's name also changed from Elendia to Tairngire now ( it is an old Celtic name for "Land of Promise", because ERD is heavily rooted in Celtic myth. )

- Expanded several areas in the game to encourage exploration. Includes NPCs who now give you information on game lore and such.

- Started working on a new language for the game, which many of the game's magical inhabitants speak. It is basically Gaelic in reverse. :] Naturally, I would need to translate all of this ( first from English to Gaelic, then reverse that, but the exact translations needn't to be perfect. Google translater shall be my friend. XD This is very recent, mind you. I haven't even implemented it properly yet.

- Made battles a little more challenging. Because encounters are so few, I need to step it up a bit while rewarding the player.

The Sidhe is the Otherworld. It is hidden behind a huge gate in a cave located

behind the Temple of Fonteini. However, it is locked by a powerful magical force and can only be opened by someone who has knowledge of

the language of Geis.

- Struggling with portrait art like you won't believe... ._. It always comes out looking wrong. Which is why I'm using placeholder art so as not to delay game progression.The Fire Emblem series sure has some gorgeous bust artwork. And the designs are practical and awesome. Not like those Final Fantasy get-ups.

From left to right: General Leonides, General Lucius and Vasilios. Yeah, you'll see more of them this time round. How am I supposed to rival this...? ;_; And Laine is extremely hard to do justice to...

And this is the new title screen. Youtube always messes up the quality.

Other screens:

Siggy needs to move a bit more to the right.

So that's that for now. :]

PixelLuchi

Quiet Pixel Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
UK English
Primarily Uses
Progression indeed. I haven't seen you around in ages, Necromus. It's good to see you again. :]

I've been working on a new sprite base today ( it took up most of my time for the GMD), and it was all done from scratch. I know this is a real long-term thing, but I want to start creating my own resources for ERD. I hope to share this sprite base one day.

It's the walking frames that will be the death of me...

Original size. I wonder if it's too small... That sprite on the far right was a practice job ( 3/4 view done from scratch as well ).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Trading has been halted on the TSX (Canadian stock market) because of "technical issues". Suspicious... I'm bracing myself for a sea of red tomorrow lol
The Loco-Motion song pre-dates the dance. Meaning the lyrics are kinda misleading. "Everybody's doing a brand new dance now"... No they weren't, you just used peer pressure to trick everyone into going along with it.
Love it when someone confuses "RPG Maker (or script/plugin) has a bug" with "I didn't set it up right and it's not working as I want (or gives an error)"
Is animation really as hard as I think it is?
Out of sudden, snow. Everywhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GreenRelicanth