blueperiod

At night above our sleeping heads
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English/Spanish
Primarily Uses
N/A
I honestly think you're being a bit too hard on yourself. Yes, the plot progresses a bit slowly, but I never found it boring per se'. As for you getting tired of the game and deciding to not work on Vol 2, maybe you should reconsider this and try to look back on Enelysion and any possible sequels after you've spent a long time away from it. After all, you've been working on this game for quite a while if I'm not mistaken, and it's impossible not to feel burnt out after having to playtest though hours of gameplay repeatedly.I know I can safely say that you aren't the first or last creator to feel that way. I mean, you believed in this story enough to make a game out of it, so maybe you should reevaluate things further down the line before you give up on this story and its characters completely.

So yeah, I would suggest not closing things out permanently on Enelysion, but maybe coming back to it much later on and seeing how you feel about it then. If you still feel sour over the project after you come back to it, then feel free to close the book on Enelysion. Until then, don't give up! Look how much attention this thread has gotten and how many people are fans of this game. There are quite a lot of people out there who wish their games would've gotten the amount of attention that Enelysion has gotten, after all.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tarelther

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I would echo what blueperiod just said here. Even though I only recently followed your work here, I could see your passion for this project was obvious. I can see what you were trying to do with the game, but the execution wasn't perfect by your own admission. Admittedly, this is far better than anything I've ever done. I've not made anything I consider worthy of public attention. You did make something you consider worthy of public attention. Celebrate that.

Look at the good side of this. Volume 2 will be so much better than Volume 1 just because of what you learned making this. You learned that the plot needs to move quicker to keep the player's interest. You learned that you were trying to do way too much with your combat system and made it overly complex for no good reason. Hopefully, you'll take to heart what others and I mentioned about your battles having far too much swing. I'm sure you learned many other things too, but those were just the obvious things I picked up from the thread.

I would love to see a continuation of the story, but if your heart just isn't in it after working on your other project for a bit, I completely understand.

PixelLuchi

Quiet Pixel Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
UK English
Primarily Uses
I'm not burnt out from making games in general. I've just lost complete interest in the characters and the story itself, and I have no desire to continue it anymore.

Like I promised, here is the link for Ver 1.2. I sincerely hope that this version will fix most of the issues with Ver 1.1 and earlier.

http://rpgmaker.net/games/2985/downloads/5065/

Change Log:

- Scrapped the entire Skill Learning through JP and Equipabble Skills.

- Critical Mod has been reduced from 3.0 to 2.0.

- Characters learn skills the traditional way.

- Entire Beastiary has been re-arranged. They now appear in the order you fight them.

- Nerfed most regular enemies. Only the Elemental type and Entite foes remain the real challengers.

- If, in the instance of the player selling the first Bomb Fragment, another one can be obtained after fighting the same boss after a series of events in Gorain Port.

- 1-H and 2-H added to weapon descriptions, denoting 1-handed or 2-handed.

- Wind Spear gives the wielder the Aero skill and not AeroShield.

- Fixed up a TON of passability errors.

- Fixed up the majority of the grammatical errors. 

- The event where Laine can give Patrick an Elixir in Gorain Port has been removed.

- Elixirs/Full Elixirs can no longer be bought or sold.

- Toned down the power of some skills ( like Reginleif and Mach Wave ).

- The RES stat now appears in the Equip menu.

- More powerful skills require Rage to use, rather than MP.

- The Item Shop in Lidgetton no longer allows you to 'craft potions'. Rather, you can just buy them.

The stat boosting 'liquors' sold in Lidgetton now cost 3000 koruna each, rather than 1500.

- Pop-ups will no longer appear asking you if you want to visit an area.

Vinedrius

Member Title
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Turkish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I wish you didn't decide to stop at vol.1. You had done a great job and it would be nice to play the rest of this story but i understand that you want to focus with everything you got on your new project. Anyway, thank you for giving us enelysion and good luck with the lady of the lion :)

Like I promised, here is the link for Ver 1.2. I sincerely hope that this version will fix most of the issues with Ver 1.1 and earlier.

http://rpgmaker.net/games/2985/downloads/5065/
The game doesn't launch. It just stops responding at the black screen at launch.

Edit: Nevermind, it started working after I ran it once in Windows XP compatibility. It still runs after disabling the compatibility mode too, so weird lol

And btw, will you provide us the unencrypted package like you said previously? ^^;

PixelLuchi

Quiet Pixel Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
UK English
Primarily Uses
I will release the unencrypyed version in about a month or so, but I'm still twiddling my thumbs over whether or not to do it. After all, there are plenty of dishonest bastards out there ( sorry for my language, but that's how I feel about them ) who could easily take out the custom art, fix up a couple of things and pass off the whole thing as their own.

On the other hand, aspiring new devs can still learn from my mistakes if I do upload it, and sharing is caring, after all. But be warned, the project is a hellhole of a mess, data-base wise. But hey, that happens to first ( serious ) projects where there is little organisation and where I didn't bother to fix things up ( database wise ) from 2011 up until now. Then again, you guys can see how I did my maps as well ( for anyone that is interested, in any case ).

Vinedrius

Member Title
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Turkish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I understand your concerns about giving it away unencrypted. Most people, including me, were mainly amazed by your mapping so maybe you can remove everything but leave only maps and mapping related events (such as movable boulders) and effects (such as lighting and overlays)? But then it would require some work too since there are too many maps to look over afterall so it is really ok if you don't want to bother :)

I think you were also working on more specific mapping tutorials (can't wait :p ), right? That would be really appreciated too even if you don't give the actual stuff away. They would be very helpful about creating atmospheric maps without paralax such as yours.

kaleemmcintyre

Blue Dragon
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
"I've just lost complete interest in the characters and the story itself, and I have no desire to continue it anymore."

Why not reinvent them?

sabao

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
"I've just lost complete interest in the characters and the story itself, and I have no desire to continue it anymore."
Why not reinvent them?
That would defeat the purpose of having a sequel.

Anyway, I've been watching this project for a while now, but haven't gotten around to trying it out. I have some free time today so I reckon I'll be giving it a go in a bit.

It's a pity you're no longer interested in building further; I've found that once you've established some history and your setting it's a lot more fun writing since you have more material at your disposal. I understand burning out and all, but seeing as you've only just finished just tale time off from it. Do something else. Maybe inspiration to pick it up again will come along.

PixelLuchi

Quiet Pixel Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
UK English
Primarily Uses
While a sequel is still on the cards, it won't happen anytime in the near future. If I do continue it, I will most likely rehaul the whole of Vol I as well, and that in itself will be a massive undertaking. As for worldbuilding and such, that was ( and is ) my strongest aspect of creating games, apart from level design and audio selection, that has never bored me.

The only thing that troubles me now is if the players find the characters too dull or uninteresting, the chances are they will stop playing ( I would stop playing a game as well if the characters didn't grip me ), no matter how good the execution of everything else it. And that is what is ultimately stopping me from working on the project. Maybe back in 2011, Laine and co seemed like really cool chars. Now that I have started to work on LoTL ( my second serious project ), they do seem awfully bland in comparison.. I suppose I wanted to avoid making Laine a Mary Sue ( a pitfall all of us should try to avoid ), but I think I ended up making her a little too dull. ._. It is not helped by the fact that the game is slow-paced as well. *sigh* But I've learned a lot so far.

And still learning. I only hope LoTL will be as successful as Enelysion.

Zachy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Well, whether you decide to continue Enelysion or not, thanks for making it in the first place. 

No matter what you think is wrong with it, it's still enjoyable and interesting, at least for me.

waterman

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
(deleted)

PixelLuchi

Quiet Pixel Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
UK English
Primarily Uses
Ah no... I must have deleted that cutscene map ( and several others... ) by mistake... Makes it worse because its one of those recommended fights/scenes in the game as well, needed to progress further. *sigh* I'll fix it asap. Thanks for the heads up.

PixelLuchi

Quiet Pixel Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
UK English
Primarily Uses
Dear, dear Enelysion. I've been abandoning you, haven't I? It looks like your little sister LoTL is going to outstrip you one day. ;_; ( Looks at number of follows on both topics. Ah, and you once had more followers than the Screenshot thread... )

Ahem, don't mind me. I have been abandoning the game as of late, but I will get that fix up. The easiest thing I can think of is to allow players to decrypt the game user RPGMaker Decrypter to gain access to all the files and drop the patches/fixes into the Data folder. It can be found here.

http://rpgcrisis.net/forums/files/file/39-rgssadrgss2a-decrypter/

It is a lot less painful to download the entire damn 197mb file again ( and quite frankly, my monthly internet quota couldn't agree more :\ ). On the brighter side of things, the game recently passed the 500 download mark over at RMN.

So, do you guys agree with this approach? Since I am giving you permission to decrypt the current download/game version that you have.

PixelLuchi

Quiet Pixel Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
UK English
Primarily Uses
Copypasted from RMN. GAM. MAK.

Really, I don't know what to do with this game anymore. I lurk a lot on these forums, and I was actually quite surprised to see this game on a list of possible future Featured games. But in all honesty, if I am brutally honest with myself, this game doesn't deserve it. I am my own worst critic. I don't find the characters engaging anymore, the story is slow, gameplay is a bit monotonous. The only stand-out features are the visuals and the music, and that's about it ( and the world-building ) but... that alone doesn't make a good game.

I don't know about the rest of you guys. It was just rotten luck I uploaded the Completed game during a lull season ( September/October, then there was the Halloween event ) and it could explain the severe lack of feedback so far. But I know you guys have lives. =)

I don't regret making it though. Its just... the passion I had for it way back in 2011 has died ( and it seems that the game's fanbase has taken a dip as well ) and it means I will never continue it. Ever.

Regardless of my bashing post, I think I've still done more with this project than 90% of RMers will ever achieve, apart from completing the damn thing ( I've also been too damn modest over the years, to the point of invisibility. After all, how many games get fanart or 150+ subbers over at RMN? :\).

In any case, Ver 1.3 will be uploaded in a few hours ( even though it said at the end of the month in the above post, but I have more bandwidth now ).

Yeah, this post is a bit bitter. But no regrets making EHD. No regrets at all. But it is time I moved on with The Lady of the Lion.

PixelLuchi

Quiet Pixel Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
UK English
Primarily Uses
Happy days for me. Happy, happy days. I decided to listen to Enelysion's soundtrack ( on its own ) and inspiration came my way once more. Music is indeed my muse. And hitting the 1000+ download mark ( including Mediafire's ) and 500+ for LoTL does make me happy. Considering it was over a two month lull period. =)

VOL II shall continue!!! I was hammering out the first scene as if I was fearful all my inspiration would just disappear like that ( the actual scene is preety long, but most of EHD's scenes are ). I also wrote out a list of what I have achieved with this game over the last 2 years, and after looking at it, I felt it would be foolish to just end the game as is.

Widely praised for visuals, audio and worldbuilding.

A possible Featured Game over at RMN.

Has an established fan-base.

Fan-art ( extremely rare for an RM game )

In the running for RMN's coveted Misao Awards. ( Even if I don't win anything, I'm still glad it gained recognition for the Misao categories )

Yeah, can't ditch the project now. I have worked hard on it. Here are two new screenshots.

I'll keep you guys posted on updates as usual. But I tend to post it more at RMN, so do pop in over there. =)

RobbieLA

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Looks like an awesome game to me, I'll make sure to give it a try (along with your other project).

PixelLuchi

Quiet Pixel Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
UK English
Primarily Uses
Some progress maps from Vol II. I'll probably start a new topic in Project Development for Black Tempest after I around an hour of gameplay done.

The visual representation for message boxes have been altered. Character portraits slide in, fade out, ping when a portrait is active etc. All evented, since the message window is an image.

Location names tend to help greatly as well.

Busy with mapping a cave system now.

The FE edits/art are optional. The games will still be released with the custom art, but for those of you who like choice, I'm going to add the DL link below this post so you can choose to replace the relevant files in Vol I ( since the game is unencrypted ).

All in all, when Vol II is done, Enelysion as a whole should have around 15 hours of gameplay. And I got the Hidden Gem achievement over at RMN. =) I supposed it helped in getting me a few more subscribers ( I'm just 5 or 6 subbers away from getting into RMN's 10 most subscribed to games. A pretty big achievement, considering that site has over 2500 games ). But yeah, drop in there at RMN. I tend to update the game faster over there ( and the player can find lots of hints and tips too ).

http://rpgmaker.net/games/2985/

And the download link for the 'optional FE artwork',

http://rpgmaker.net/users/yuna21/locker/FE_Art_Pack.rar

PixelLuchi

Quiet Pixel Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
UK English
Primarily Uses
So... Enelysion. Vol I has finally come to an end, and this will most probably be the last post I make here in this thread, unless a player gets stuck and they need help. But as far as updates go, this one will be the last, so I might as well tell you my tale as to how the game got where it is today. =)

November 2010:
==============

I'm messing around with character designs for a new project. I stumble across some real neat looking artwork from a game called Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance ( a very rare game for the Gamecube, I might add ) and I'm quite impressed by how practical and awesome the designs of the chars look. So, I took out my pencil and paper and started doodling a sketch of the character that would become Laine. She has a sharp gaze and wild blue-green hair, two features that remains to this day.

December 2010 - March 2011:
==============================

I start working on a concept for a story centered around Celtic/Welsh mythology ( because Greek and Norse are ridiculously overused ). Because I was a pretty crappy artist back then, I decided to use the Fire Emblem portrait edits for my chars ( this was before I started playing the actual FE game ) and sprited around a bit until I got my Laine. <3 

<3 Her earliest design.

So, with my story and characters in hand, I popped open RMVX and started working on the game. My maps at that point; to be frank, were awful. XD Okay, maybe awful in my eyes, but when the game topic exploded onto RMVX.net on the 17th of February 2011, little did I know that a little over a year and half later it would garner 637 replies and over 50,000 views+. It was a hit. =) And quickly gained a fan-base ( I remember my first ever fan was Emmych, bless her. Awesome chick XD. She gave me my first fan art of Laine. )

lol, yeah. I haven't updated the game since April 2012. That site is just not the same anymore.
Later, I posted the game over at RMN. The game page went up on the 24th of March and since then, has grown to getting over 176,000 views and 165 subscribers ( two subbers shy of actually breaking into the site's 10 most subscribed to games ).

And yet I had no idea it would become that popular. What drew players to it? The graphics? Music? Characters, gameplay? Either way, I had made a very successful first serious project. But it was never this easy. At times, I really felt like giving up at several points over the years. I'm extremely hard on myself and set the highest standards that I can possibly make for myself. The prospect of finishing Enelysion became so daunting that I decided to split the game into two volumes. Not only would it be easier to manage, but I could start Vol II afresh.

The game also underwent countless revamps, to the point where it does not even resemble the original game that was released in March 2011. I daresay this pushed back production a lot. Adela Isra became a huge source of inspiration for me when making my new maps. I owe a lot to StormRiderAngel for that. Oh, and Ill Will. For presentation, I looked towards the ill-fated Valkyrie Stories by Hanzo Kimura ( we share the same birthday XD ). Pretty as hell, but a duller game I could not find anywhere. For the storytelling and characterisation, that was Linus ( my favourite RM game ever. And this was looong before the game got an amazing visual update ). I still have the real old demo on my PC.

Custom art for the game started in May 2012. With the assistance of Ronove ( we did a skill exchange, I did some interior maps for her, and she did the lineart for the characters ) and Laine and Co. received some really amazing high-def art that you now see in Vol I. The FE art remains an option, but now that my scanner is bust... I'm wondering how I'm going to do the new art for Vol II...

Old battle system using Tankentai

Battle Engine Melody ( screenshot from Vol II ).
 ​
 ​
 ​

And now, some three years after I started that little sketch of Laine, this is now a beginning and an end for Enelysion with the start of Vol II. I admit, I do feel quite sad to see it all end, but who knows. Maybe I'll write a book entitled 'Tairngire Tales' inspired by the rich game world I created. =) Since I'm never going commercial. 

My games will be forever free. =) So... if you're reading this, whoever you are, thank you. Without the RM community, I may never have discovered this passion for creating things.

Happy Holidays and Merry Xmas.

PixelLuchi

Quiet Pixel Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
UK English
Primarily Uses
2000 downloads and counting. Happy days.

Might do something special for March. After all, it will be game's 3rd year at RMN ( 184,000 views, 160+ subscribers. More happy days ) and 2nd year here, but first as a complete game. Hmm... now what shall my next milestone be?

If you liked Enelysion ( or hated it or anything in-between ), please leave a reply so I can make the sequel better. =) If you are following me at RMN, you'll know what that one review for my other game, Lady of the Lion, did for me. I was inspired like crazy.

PixelLuchi

Quiet Pixel Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
UK English
Primarily Uses
Just thought I'd drop in. Vol II of the game is resuming and the artwork for the game ( portraits, cutscenes etc. ) is all being redone by a rather amazing artist I came into contact with over at RMN.

WIP of Laine. Artwork by janussenpre.

Expression sheet.

http://rpgmaker.net/games/2985/

More game details can be found here: The game also received 2 highly rated reviews by two prominent reviewers at RMN, gained nearly 3500 downloads and finally hit that 200,000 profile view mark. I'm a lot more active over there now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Stream will be live shortly with a session of the Interactive Text Adventure! Feel free to drop by!
Took a break from spriting dinosaurs to carve a dinosaur pumpkin.

Little early but to all of you that celebrate it :

Tomorrow is Halloween! I can't wait to go to Boxi Park and show off my costume! Also one of Dad's friends is staying the night, so he might get to see the show.
Here's the title-screen for the game I'm working on: :LZSgrin:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FinnEver