Enemy Animations in Battle...

Do you prefer enemies to have animations/motions like the actors or is one idle animation ok?

• No I want them to be animated like the heroes...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's fine if they just have one animation while standing

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Either is fine with me...

Votes: 8 61.5%

• Total voters

zerobeat032

Cloaked Wanderer...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So I was wondering how people felt about enemy movement. Whether people preferred different battle motions/animations for enemies of something more akin to say... Omori where the enemy is animated but doesn't do anything else. As an example, my project so far is like Omori, but I was wondering how people felt in general about it.

CHKNRAVE

Surprisingly not sponsored by Yanfly.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If your enemies are human, you really just have to use the character generator and you're set.
If you're making the player fight monsters, the process is a lot more difficult because there's no generator to assist you, and not everyone is good at graphic design or able to hire someone to pull this weight.

Both are fine, as long as it's consistent.

zerobeat032

Cloaked Wanderer...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If your enemies are human, you really just have to use the character generator and you're set.
If you're making the player fight monsters, the process is a lot more difficult because there's no generator to assist you, and not everyone is good at graphic design or able to hire someone to pull this weight.

Both are fine, as long as it's consistent.
well in my case it's difficult because I'm not using the generator lol. I've drawn all of my actors and enemies so far myself. I got so burned out though which is why my enemies are just animated for one idle pose so far. it took 2 years off and one to do the 4 main actors. But I wondered how do people feel about it in general because sometimes it's jarring and other times it looks fine.

Synthetic

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Really depends on the selling point of your game and your target audience.

Personally I don't have much experience developing games, most times I do localization for the Chinese developers. I have seen games that are unique, whereby there are only like 1-2 games for the past 3 decades similar but because of how much asset from RPGmaker is used their game didn't stand out and had close to negative review based on 'reused asset' when the opening video was showing all uniquely drawn art which was minority. Some people will just buy a RPGmaker game because of certain uniqueness, some out of nostalgia for a game they like and bear similarity, some because of how little reuse asset is in it.

Personally I favor certain artstyle, music and gameplay mechanics, so if the artstyle isn't there I will just buy based on the gameplay because I am playing a game and not watching animation.

CraneSoft

Filthy Degenerate
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Not English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Personally, if I'm playing an RPGMaker game, I will understand that developers are just one-man and therefore can accept that whoever that isn't actively living on patron support don't have the budget, time and resources to create extra motions for the enemies (myself included, lol), not to mention that I probably saw the same Geyser or Bandit reskin sprite used a hundred times already. Simply having uniquely drawn actors and enemies are already a major visual advantage in my book, with a simple idle animation being a cherry on top on the sweet sundae.

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
For RPG Maker, I'm OK with still images for enemies, since it's the default, and animating stuff takes a lot of time and skill (to make it look good too). I'd never rate not using animated enemies as a negative in an RPG Maker game.

zerobeat032

Cloaked Wanderer...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
you all have given me a fair deal of insight, thanks for the responses.

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm probably in the minority, but I really kind of dislike character generator enemies and find them to be a turn-off when I see them in a game. Having grown up with oldschool Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest titles, there's something about mostly-static, more artistic enemies that I just like better. A lot better.

coucassi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
How do you feel about mixing them up?

Normally I would side with CHKNRAVE and say, everything is fine as long as it is consistent, but in a game where you have to fight both, monsters and humans I find it very irritating when the human enemies look so different to your sideview-battler- characters. Usually they are so much bigger too. In addition, with animated battlers you've got more options to create cool animation, if you use Yanfly's Action Sequences.

Then again, like Aesica said I like the detailed art most static monsters have and - at least for me, that's a reason - they are so much easier to find/to create than animated ones.

That's why I tend to use both at the moment: Static battlers for monsters and animated battlers for humans.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Quite the versatile cast so far :p

chars.PNG

Edit: Sprites are made by Alexdraws and TheMightyPalm. I just edited them.
Degica Games Turn Komodo | RPG Maker News #77

Well, rats. Was really looking forward to trying out FPS Creator, but trying to install and set it up was pretty much impossible for my tiny brain to comprehend. So much for that, then.
Ah, home once more! I think I can safely work on my games now.
Let's hope power remains on for the day

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Astra-nyxia