Enemy attack freq.

PhilMcKrotch

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So basically I want to make a boss fight that appears early on in the game. The fight is designed like the boss ships in AC: Black Flag. You can fight this boss at any time, but you wont be able to beat him until your whole party is fully leveled. My question is how do I slow down how often he attacks. I want the player to get in, say 7 attacks for each time the boss attacks. The boss is going to do insane damage each attack so I don't want him attacking that often. I got the boss and the battle sequence made, but he keeps attacking after everyone of my attacks. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The default set of skills has a "wait" skill set up that you can have enemies use if you want them to do nothing on their turn. If you set the "always" option to that, then give the boss a "turn: 3 + 3*" attack setting with a higher priority than the wait. This will result in him only attacking on turn 3, 6, 9 etc.

PhilMcKrotch

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The default set of skills has a "wait" skill set up that you can have enemies use if you want them to do nothing on their turn. If you set the "always" option to that, then give the boss a "turn: 3 + 3*" attack setting with a higher priority than the wait. This will result in him only attacking on turn 3, 6, 9 etc.
Awesome, just tested it and it works. I will mess around with it more to get the timing down. Thanks a ton.

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Glad to be of assistance!

Wavelength

Edge of Eternity
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The other thing you could do (and it's similar to @Trihan's approach; it will just be a bit more work but also look a bit cleaner to your player) is to use Troop Events which activate, say, every 7 turns (Turn N + 7X) and either add or remove a State from the boss which disables them (makes it impossible to use any action). So add the state to the battler, 6 turns later remove it, the turn after that add it back, 6 turns later remove it, and so on. The prime advantage of this approach is that your boss won't use a "Wait" skill; they'll simply use an attack every 7 turns.

ScorchedGround

Blizzards most disappointed fan
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Wavelength The other great thing about your approach is that you can use conditional branches and depending on how far you are in the game you can make the said state last longer or shorter.

So that when you are strong enough (or even overleveled) to fight the boss, you can remove any previous handicaps the boss had.

But with that being said, I also believe that the "wait" approach works just fine aswell. You could even rename it so that it makes for sense for the player (I.e. "rest", "prepare", "concentrate")

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
or, you can change the damage formula of the attacks so it doesn't do as much damage.
the number of attacks will be the same, but softer.

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
or, you can change the damage formula of the attacks so it doesn't do as much damage.
the number of attacks will be the same, but softer.
The boss doing craptons of damage every few turns seems to be a specific part of the design, so that doesn't really solve the problem that was posed.

Wavelength's suggestion is a good one, and has more flexibility for the same reasons ScorchedGround pointed out. It'd be cool to have it vary how often/how hard the boss hits depending on how under/overlevelled the party is.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Between Rona and MZ, might as well buckle down and get serious in dev
I did it. I finish the test after 2 days 6 different subjects. Now I'm freeeeeeee
Got a nice little platform coming along backwards compatible with MV.
I'm so amazed at this ABS plugin for MV. This is a plugin that can literally fulfill my biggest game dreams, creating an Ultima VII-like game. Below is a video of a quick scenario I created to test out the plugin. The music in the video is my own composition.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NeverCoreCore