KrimsonKatt

The Endless
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So in my game there is an optional boss called "Replica" which consists of 4 battlers that completely copy everything about the actors participating in the battle. All stats including HP, AP, (MMP) STR, (ATK) DEF, MAG, (MAT) RES, (MDF) SPD, (AGI) and SKL, (LUK) weapons and armor equipped and the current effects and stat boosts they give, and skills equipped (I'm using Yanfly Battle Skill Equip) are all copied. Each replica replicates a specific member of the party. Replica 1 copies the party leader, Replica 2 copies member 2, Replica 3 copies member 3, and Replica 4 copies member 4. Along with that, the replicas copy every single attack the corresponding actor does. For example, if the party leader uses a physical attack, replica 1 on their next turn will also use a physical attack. If actor 3 casts Ignis, (a basic fire spell) Replica 3 will respond with the same spell once it's their turn. Does anyone know how to implement this in MV? It seems pretty difficult, so any help is appreciated! Thanks.

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I've always wanted to do this for a couple of my games as well, but honestly, the degree of difficulty in implementing it would be so high that I haven't even attempted it. The skills would be the hardest part - you'd have to change the commands of the enemies based on what the player chose after an actor's command is input (but before the skill is actually used), it would get even wonkier once an actor is KO'ed, and for skills that normally only need to work on actors or only on enemies, there may be data missing because actors and enemies have different properties. Huge mess.

I've heard many successful game designers say that part of finding success in game dev is to be willing to make sacrifices for the sake of practicality. Consider this mechanic a good place to practice that. Perhaps just copy the sprite, pick a reasonable set of stats for the enemy "character" that the actor might have based on an average player's gameplay to this point, and give the enemies movesets that mirror the player's (re-creating the actor skill as an enemy skill if necessary) and let them use those movesets however the AI wants to.

KrimsonKatt

The Endless
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Wavelength Yeah, I could do that. I already have a "mimic" skill that I programed with some help from others that copies the last skill the target used. I just need to find a way to have that enemy always target their corresponding actor with that specific skill to accomplish basically everything I want to do. If that actor is not available, that enemy would instead target another actor with the skill, all done in a certain priority. Also, due to plugins, all my skills can target anyone at any time, so that's not an issue. (healing, attacking, buffing, and debuffing skills can work on and target both enemies and allies)

The actors in my game are Koros, Tayo, Zenith, Stacy, and Jeht, with a 4-person party limit. The priority for who is targeted would go like this: actor copied -> Koros -> Tayo -> Zenith -> Stacy -> Jeht, skipping the party member that the replica is a copy of once the list gets to them. For example, for Replica Koros' targeting priority the replica would prioritize Koros as a target but after that would skip Koros on the list and then go to Tayo, then Zenith, then Stacy, then Jeht. If an actor on that list is unavailable (either not in the party or under a death state) the next party member on this list will be targeted instead.

This seems a lot easier to implement, since I can just have the bosses stats be mirrored to the character in their "canon" main class at Lv.99 (this is a bonus/post-game dungeon, and your expected to be at the level cap by the end of the main story) instead of being relative to the characters class and level. By the way, the canon classes are Koros=Mercenary, (Basara subclass) Tayo=Priest, (Monk subclass) Zenith=Warrior, (Freelancer subclass) Stacy=Wizard, (Ranger subclass) and Jeht=Thief. (Sorcerer subclass) Now that I have this more passable idea, how to I get the bosses to prioritize targeting certain actors over others? Thanks.

Last edited:

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

@KrimsonKatt, please do not bump your topic unless it has been 72 hours later since your last post. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.

I suspect this will need a plugin, but I really haven't explored what's possible without them, so will leave this here until/unless others confirm that a plugin is required.

kirbwarrior

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
The actors in my game are Koros, Tayo, Zenith, Stacy, and Jeht, with a 4-person party limit.
Because there are only five possible actors for the enemy to copy, you could instead make five enemies that each copy one actor and put them in the battle. You'd need to do some turn 0 set up (such as setting them all "appear halfway" and making the correct four appear at start), but then you can make each 'mimic' base themselves directly on one person instead of trying to set them up to go down the party in line.

Since you're using plugins, you'd want to look that way for something that helps enemy AI and how they'll choose targets. I know Yanfly has one, but I think I've seen three or four big name plugin makers each have one.

I've heard many successful game designers say that part of finding success in game dev is to be willing to make sacrifices for the sake of practicality.
This does sound like a very gimmicky battle. Fighting an enemy group that is not just your party but also mimicking your moves seems like a lot of work for something that can likely be easily cheesed. Just off the top of my head, if Actor 3 is immune to fire, they can spam Ignis on the other enemies and get countered by their mimic for zero damage.

KrimsonKatt

The Endless
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@kirbwarrior Actually, no actor can be immune to any element, even with the right equipment. Without the ultimate shield (which can only be obtained by defeating the ultimate superboss and even then it only has a 50% drop chance) equipment can only give resistances, never immunities, absorb, or reflections. Plus, each character is always weak to a certain element and resistant to another regardless of class, so they will always be weak to something. Finally, the battle is meant to be gimmicky and very cheese-able since it's one of three bonus bosses randomly selected at the end of a 100-battle gauntlet, so I made it so that one of the bosses is gimmicky, (replica) one of the bosses is simplistic, (Efreet) and one of the bosses in challenging. (Likho)

On another note, I already have all the MV and MZ Yanfly plugins, so I'm good on that front. Problem is is that I think the MV AI core fundamentally changes the AI in the entire game for every enemy to be insanely complex stuff that I really don't want to set up for every enemy in the game. I just want to use the default system, and only use the complex system for enemies that require it. I haven't used that plugin in the past, so is it possible to make it so that every enemy uses the standard system except for the ones I set to use the new one? Thanks.

@Shaz Sorry for bumping too early. I thought you could bump a thread 48 hours after your last post, (2 days) not 72 hours. (3 days) My bad.

Last edited:

kirbwarrior

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
the battle is meant to be gimmicky and very cheese-able
I was just giving an example but you directly said the point I was trying to make here which is that you are doing a lot of work for a battle that looks complicated but will (intentionally!) be easy.

I really don't want to set up for every enemy in the game
I could be wrong, but I think the AI plugin only applies to enemies you give the AI to. You don't technically need it, though. You can set up an enemy with a single skill they always use that calls a common event and forces them to use a skill based however you want that you can event. Although I'd look for some way to make the first skill 'invisible' if you did that (I know Yanfly plugins can do that).

If you really wanted to go the extra mile, you can set up each skill to set a variable to that skill's ID where the variable is "<actor's> last attack". That might make it easier for the mimics to correctly choose their skills.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Dragonfly3116 wrote on Redweaver's profile.
i need to ask do you mind sending me a link to tutorial town an legend of ancients Please My new Email is necroboy1973@gmail.com
I Am A Member On The Site Here As Well If Your Still teaching Let Me Know Thanks Joseph
Added store elements.
44JtdpE5n4jQMFkSi7pACW.png

2uqvqT3uCWxcXAhlyZokxg.png

The next step will be to start making props (including distillers).
I just saw one of SigmaSuccor's RPG Maker news videos, it mentioned one of my plugins. Now I kind of wish I'd made a demo project for it, having nothing in that segment but a scroll down the code feels a little underwhelming given what the plugin COULD do. Except I suck at making demo stuff, and my testing project isn't fit for that. :(
Ok, to prepare for the GMTK Game Jam, I'm trying to make a game with the theme "The Cat's out of the Bag" in about 48 hours. I'd make a forum post with a question, but I don't have the time!
Worked over a week on a new BGM, and I'm finally happy with it.

Here are some screenshots of the area it will be used in
EzLHppdVIAMY7DP

EzLHpqsVIAEZ7jt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sorkehfdk