Enemy Troop Z Position?

Discussion in 'RPG Maker VX Ace' started by Raythalos, Dec 24, 2016.

1. Raythalos

Raythalos Just a regular Alicef@g~ Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Is there a way to directly modify an enemy battler's Z position so that they can stay in front of other enemies or behind other enemies?

The context for this is that I wanted to make a boss with multiple targettable parts, but the way RPG Maker handles Z positions is dependent on how low the battler is on the screen, so it messes with floating parts. I remedied this by messing around with the battler images' resolutions, but there's only so much I can do before it gets tedious. It also doesn't look good with Yanfly's damage popups since the parts that are higher up show the damage at the bottom of the screen.

I tried fiddling around with screen_z, but it doesn't seem to work. Even with 50 or so screen_z as opposed to the original 100, the sprites are still in their original arrangement.

I tried googling for the problem, but seems like every topic about the battler's Z position is about animations playing below the actors' portraits on Yanfly's Battle Engine.

Attached is a mockup.

[​IMG]

2. Zalerinian

Zalerinian Jack of all Errors Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    As I recall from my time on Ace, though I don't know if this will solve your problem, is that it uses a right-handed coordinate system. This means higher Z values are closer to the viewer, and lower Z values would get covered by those with higher Z values. I'm not sure if it'll solve your problem, but you say you lowered the Z value from 100 to 50. Try setting it to 99999, and if that doesn't work, Z values probably won't help you in this case.

3. Raythalos

Raythalos Just a regular Alicef@g~ Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian

The problem is the Z values are most probably not changed/updated properly or something, because I've put the z value of something that's meant to be on top to 50 and it doesn't appear behind everything when I tested it. I know some scripts like Moghunter's battler animations modify the Z value in some of its animations (when a battler uses an animation that zooms into the screen, it had its Z value increased temporarily) so I know it can work somehow...