Enhanced Side-View Battlers

Discussion in 'JS Plugins In Development' started by Rexal, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Rexal

Rexal Digital Fuzzball Veteran

First Language:
    C#
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Enhanced Side-View Battlers v0.1a
    Rexal

Intro - Have a weird sprite sheet with a template like this?
    [​IMG]
    No problem!
    [​IMG]
    ESVB will get the job done and give you the freedom to use your own templates, no matter how ridiculous they might be!

Please note that this is in a very early state so it's prone to bugs and might not work for your project at all yet. It's definitely functional though...for the most part

The plugin so far - Here

Demo - Here

KNOWN BUGS
    It does not play nice with my Animated Enemies script yet. No idea about Yanfly's but it works well enough on its own that I wanted to at least have something to show after so long..

Current Features

- Use any grid-based template for your battlers
    - Adjust the speed the battler's animations play
    - doesn't interfere with the way other battlers' animations are interpreted at all
    - choose what motions loop

Planned Features
    - at the moment templates are defined per-actor or enemy. Eventually I want to let the user define templates on a global scale, for a cleaner note box
    - allow more motions than the default
    - allow motions to have different frame amounts (maybe??)
    - change the scale of the battler (Just to have the option)
    - ping-pong motions (reverse the animation after it's done playing)

Note tags
    battler frames: x
    Defines how many sprites are used per row

battler rows: x
    Defines how many rows of sprites there are

battler columns: x
    Defines how many sets of actions there are between rows. For example the default template has 3

battler motion: type,id,loop
    This is a bit on the complex side. Type refers to the name of the motions you're using, while "id" is the animation you want, going down the rows starting from the leftmost one
    and ending at the lowest right.

loop should be self-explanatory, letting you control whether or not the motion loops.

Terms of Use - Free for commercial and non-commercial use. Use at your own risk, give me credit if you do so

Change Log
    0.1 - initial commit

Honestly I have no idea if there's a script like this already. I looked it up but didn't find anything other than increasing the amount of frames and changing the layout to one specific way. Regardless, I hope somebody finds this useful.​

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  2. Dirge

Dirge Sound Engineer Veteran

First Language:
    English, German
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I use Dragonbones, so this isn't actually useful to me personally, but that's a great concept. I'm sure it'll be super useful to people :D Awesome work!

3. Rexal

First Language:
    C#
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Dirge Thanks! If I get custom motions working it might have some use, but I wish you luck on your endeavours regardless :cutesmile::thumbsup-right:

4. Alastor01

Alastor01 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Russian
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Omg, thank you so much for this!
    Does it mean that any frame resolution and any frame numbers are supported? :D This is super useful to those of us who render battlers from 3D!
    Any chance for new enchanced SV weapons plugin? ;)

5. Rexal

First Language:
    C#
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Alastor01 Absolutely and...most likely, yeah. I've noticed that there's a quite a bit that changed since I've been gone, and I'll probably have to redo quite a few functions and add some stuff that people really wanted.

For frame numbers/resolution though, at the moment it's a sort of global thing, where motions aren't able to have different amounts of frames or be a different size from one-another. Just to keep things clear this is per battler. You can easily have different battlers with completely different templates and sizes side by side.

I'm looking into different frames, but the different sizes sound kinda scary. My main goal for this is to give you a lot of control and flexibility when it comes to organizing/creating the spritesheets, though!

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
    Alastor01 likes this.
  6. Alastor01

Alastor01 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Russian
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Rexal Good to have you back!
    Oh, ye, I just meant that we can use any sprite-sheet style per game :D
    Thanks for this feature. It's nice to be able to make more fluid animations, especially if you want to make bigger battlers or render them.

7. Tagumon

Tagumon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    As someone who desperately needs more frame-resolution, I am very hyped for this plug-in.

As of the time of writing, I cannot figure out how to use DragonBones.... So hearing about a plug-in for allowing more freedom with sprite-sheets, frames and resolution is probably the highlight of my day.

I wish you luck! <3