Epicness in Bossfights: When one isn't enough.

Daena Grey

Lunatic Warlord
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Seeing as the Event System Support Thread is either down or I somehow do not possess the permissions to reply, I am forced to post this here. And it is more than pertinent to what I am doing as I am just about on it-The problem at hand is much more complex than You could expect.

What I am trying to achieve is something akin to this-In the video contained in this Youtube link.

(I could not find any better one to show it with. Oops...)

But, aye, In short: I would like for this one Boss Fight-to switch between two different Battles with different actors and different
enemies. And different Backgrounds, too.
I could probably manage through eventing a painful loop, However-The trick is,\. That I would really like for the "Main Boss", to not reset their HP every time the fight switches back to them. Much like in the Bossfight in the Video!

Would I forcedly require a script, or is it doable without one?

~Daena Grey

Edit: ... Oops. can't even figure a way to show the link as a link rather than fully embed the video. Crap Baskets.

Warpmind

Twisted Genius
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
My suggestion:
Make one battle for each Boss stage, make the bosses immune to the KO State, and when each boss stage's HP hits 0, run a combat event switching to the next battle in the sequence.
It's a little trickier if you use multiple lesser opponents, obviously, but I think you can pull it off without scripts.

Daena Grey

Lunatic Warlord
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I was thinking to do that, but that would leave me mildly unsatisfied. Especially considering I'm using Vlue's Basic HP Bars. But the switch between fights is supposed to be more erratic, unpredictable-And in one of the two fights, the enemies will keep "Respawning", wherein-Much like the Gaspard Fight from the video, there is one "Main Boss", and a "Mini Boss Flurry" of sorts, and Both Fights would end as soon as the "Main" Boss is defeated. So, considering I am also using Vlue's HP Bars-for the sake of looking nice and all, I would really prefer to avoid making the condition to switch from battle to battle "Enemy HP == 0".

What you have suggested is extremely easy, yes, but unfortunately it is something that would not work in my case...

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I think instead you need to look at it another way. Why do you need this fight? Does it really serve a purpose? Is there a reason to have the player frantically switching between bosses and possibly getting confused on the way? Is it required for your story?

If you said no to any of the last three, it might be a good idea to rethink the battle. These days way too many games shove in things like this that honestly serve no purpose in terms of the story, but are only there as someone thought it looked neat at one point in time (another common problem is multi round boss battles as every game thinks it has to end with one it seems).

Warpmind

Twisted Genius
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
Well, the alternative would be some Variable trickery - once Boss' HP goes below a certain threshold, or a certain number of combat rounds have been reached, save Boss' remaining HP into a variable, flick a "Stage 1 complete" switch and so on, and go to the next battle.
When you jump back to Boss, the first thing that happens is that Boss' HP is set to the variable you already stored from the last fight stage.
And so on until the boss is dead.

Also, what bgillisp said - is such a Boss fight actually going to improve the game?

Daena Grey

Lunatic Warlord
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Unfortunately, Yes I do need it-For it is actually the Final Boss Fight I am trying to make. And besides-I am of the mindset that recent games have been too "Soft" on Gamers. I have built the entire game around the concept of "Challenge", literally testing every single brain cell you possess.
And Determination. The Synopsis of this fight is as simple as, "The Final Boss has revived and made clones of its best underlings, and they are all being sent at you to prevent the disruption of the Final Boss's Master Plan. But, a small group stays behind to hold them off while the Main Group faces the real challenge."

It would not be a Final Boss Fight without some challenge, and not the type of challenge, "Hey, this boss has over Nine Million HP! And it can Pulverize your party in one hit!"
But now we're actually going quite off-topic I presume. The Variable trickery method seems interesting, I am actually beginning to gain an idea on how I could event this Boss Fight. Many, Many thanks for providing the concept that is sparking the idea! I appreciate it a lot more than you think.
I hadn't thought of using variables up until this point... Oops...

~Daena Grey

Warpmind

Twisted Genius
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
Variables and Switches are your friends. :p

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
There is another way, now that you explained what you are doing. What you could do is what Heroes of Might and Magic 5 did, which is have the group that stayed behind do the fight with the underlings, then the other group do the boss fight.
Would work really well within the limits of the engine too.

Off topic note: Just be careful when using old games boss fights for ideas. Some of them are honestly very bad design (high random Ko chances, cheap mechanics, unexplained tricks, etc). If you wish to talk about this more we could on a thread under game mechanics design for boss battle design. But I've never played the game you mentioned so I have no thought on if it feels like a good idea to me or not, at the moment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Okay, that's the best I can do. Looks a little strange but..err.. it's my style, yeah, very original style..
being an extreme introvert with massive anxiety... I forget this is really, REALLY frustrating for people who are the exact opposite. still, wait this out and stay home...
I hope you all are keeping safe. <3 If you need a shoulder or an ear, I have two of both and am more than willing to listen & support you! Times are weird.
My dad, super frustrated by seclusion, asking me how I live like this. I shrug. "It helps to not like what is outside."
Apparently it's not just people who are hit by corona virus. My phone has set itself to English language on its own. Not that I'm complaining... :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
imnotanepicgamer