Equip Skills: Treat like Armor or Balancing?

Discussion in 'Game Mechanics Design' started by Catog, Jul 16, 2018.

?

Read below...

1. Balancing

2. Equipment

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Catog

Catog Professional Internal Screamer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hey guys!

I'm implementing an Equip Skill mechanic into my game. Think Pokemon where you have four skills to use in battle per character, and a party of three characters which you can freely switch between in and out of battle.

But what I also want to do with these skills is have them so they provide a stat benefit as well. For example, if you equip the "Blizzard" spell, you'll also net another four points of DEF. But the way I have it set up is that you also lose two points of MDEF. So it becomes a player decision of "well, this ability is useful, but also messes with my stats, which I can then try to mitigate with equipment". But this can also mean that the player finds themselves unfairly limited, because their skill that would be useful and giving them an advantage in a given situation would also put them at a disadvantage when it comes to their stats.

So, do I treat the skills like equipment, where more often than not, they'll give minor stat boosts without much of a drawback, the only real drawback being that unequipping them will cause them to lose that skill's benefits.

In essence: do I make the skills a balancing mechanic, or an equipment mechanic? Stat loss for every skill to balance out, or no?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
  2. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I'd suggest making it so that most skills either give no boost or penalty, or a very small boost (like say Fire -> +2% Fire Resistance). If you want to do disadvantages, I'd suggest using it for the very powerful skills only, else the player might decide to equip nothing due to all the disadvantages and just attack everything.

3. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    The equipment style could work too. For example if you equip blizzard, your heat resistance increased by a lot. And you mostly gonna use it for an area where most of enemies could deal heat damage, that comes in handy.

I believe the way how you balance them out is about how you design your enemies to counter your mechanic. So there is a case when the drawback from equipping skill is neglectable.

consolcwby and kovak like this.
  4. Aesica

Aesica undefined Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    In my game, each character has their own skillset, but can also equip certain things containing skills as they find them, up to a maximum of 4 per character. I'm not having any stats attached to these skills because I want players to use them based on what a situation might demand or to patch any niches their base skillsets might be lacking, not to min-max their stats. Stats are what all the other equipment slots are for.

So in short, no. I wouldn't suggest having stats on your skills.

Edit: The poll choices are a bit unclear, so I chose "equipment" based on the interpretation that it means, "skills are equipped only for access to the skill and do not modify stats."

5. Wavelength

Wavelength Pre-Merge Boot Moderator

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I'd decouple stats and equipment from skills entirely, personally. But if you do want to couple stat changes with the skills that you equip, then the "equipment" route is the better way to go. Since you are only allowing a limited, small number of skills to be equipped at a time, it doesn't make any sense to penalize the player in any way for equipping the max number (which would happen if you had frequent stat penalties), and there's also no reason to penalize the player for picking their "best" skills (which would happen if you tried to balance skill power with stat gains/losses).

6. Eschaton

Eschaton Hack Fraud Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    So...FFVII Materia?

I think it all depends on how much room for customization you want to afford the player. Is there a job system from which actors learn these equipped skills? Are skills found in the field and/or crafted? Are they restricted by actor and/or class?

Just be advised that the more room you give to the player to customize their actors, the more balancing issues you might run into as a developer.

Edit: if these equip skills supplant equipment entirely, things might be a little different. The balancing act is between the stat changes and the skills conferred.

7. Catog

Catog Professional Internal Screamer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I actually quite like this idea - I'm getting that the general consensus is to confine stat increases to equipment, and have skills affect something more situational, like elemental or weapon type resistances?

The problem is, I'm using YEP_EquipSkills, which in the guide only increases stats. Can you think of a way to increase resistances when they're equipped, or know of anything within the code, if you're familiar?

Hahaha, yes, now that you mention it!

To answer your question, each character has a class, and then will gain subclasses from other allies throughout the story, giving them access to that job's skills. Skills are crafted by items found in the field, from a mixture of exploration for the base elemental product - defining what kind of skill will be made - to a currency-like item called "Distilled Life" they can choose to get in battle at a penalty to their EXP.

Would that knowledge affect your decision?

8. Aesica

Aesica undefined Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    If you're referring to YEP_EquipBattleSkills then there's note tag options available for states. I haven't used this plugin personally, but according to its description, you should be able set states (in this case, your elemental resistance of choice) onto each skill.

9. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Catog This thread is not for discussing how to use plugins. You should post that query in JavaScript/Plugin Support.
    Thanks.