Equipment Enhancements

Discussion in 'JS Plugin Requests' started by Hiek, Sep 24, 2017.

  1. Hiek

    Hiek Creator Veteran

    Messages:
    231
    Likes Received:
    57
    First Language:
    English
    I've been looking around for several plugins to do what I've been wanting, such as Yanfly's 'Upgrade Slots' and Crafting systems and whatnot, and cannot find any Plugin that does what I'm trying to do.

    The idea of this plugin is to go to a Blacksmith 'NPC' and upon talking to the Blacksmith, you'll open an Enhancement Window.

    Inside this window will be all the Weapons and Armors you currently have in your inventory and you'll be able to 'enhance' them with an item from your inventory. (i.e: Enhancement Stone)
    There should be an option that can include both Gold + Item, or just gold, or just the item.

    When you use an Enhancement Stone your weapon will go from:
    "Iron Sword" > "Iron Sword +1" when the enhancement succeeds.

    Each enhancement level will have a success rate that you can customize in the plugin with however many enhancement levels you choose in the plugin as well.


    i.e:
    Enhancements +1 = 100% Success Rate
    Enhancement +2 = 95% Success Rate
    Enhancement +3 = 70% Success Rate
    Enhancement +4 = 50% Success Rate
    etc,etc

    Each enhancement level also has a chance to break after a certain tier.
    Example: After your equipment reaches +4, it has a 10% chance to 'Break' upon failure, or 90% chance to do nothing.

    It's basically a mechanic that's very common in MMORPGs when upgrading weapons through RNG.
    The higher the enhancement, the stronger it is.

    When the weapon breaks, you can go to the Repair tab and repair equipment that was broken from failed enhancement with either in-game money, or an item that's in your inventory. (i.e: Repair Scroll)
     
    #1
  2. Poryg

    Poryg Dark Lord of the Castle of Javascreeps Veteran

    Messages:
    4,018
    Likes Received:
    10,169
    Location:
    Czech Republic
    First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    In all honesty, I am glad such a plugin does not exist.

    Yes, this feature is very common in MMORPGs... But that doesn't make it any less annoying.
    Because I don't know about you, but RNG always screws me over big time!
    100% chance - fine, cannot fail.
    90% chance - fails only sporadically, but does fail from time to time.
    80% chance - fails more often, like 1 in 10.
    70% chance - fails 3 times out of 4. How in the world though!
    60% - fails 4 times out of 5
    50% - unless you use a chance enhancement item, you're gonna waste a lot of money.
    And I don't even dare to continue lower.

    The thing is, there is no real point in making a normal game this annoying. Especially if the player has no way to increase the chance of success.
     
    #2
  3. Hiek

    Hiek Creator Veteran

    Messages:
    231
    Likes Received:
    57
    First Language:
    English
    RNG screws me over to, but that doesn't mean that everyone out there won't like it.
    Unlike MMO's, this wouldn't be 'pay2win' since it would use in-game material instead of real money and also won't be needed to beat the game.
    It's more like extra features to make the game easier to people who like to take their chances, and also burn in-game gold.

    I don't know about you, but a lot of RPG's end up not having anything to spend money on because most games you can buy max items and still have almost max gold near the end of the games.

    Having extra features like this would give people more reason to spend gold as well as maybe unlocking things like achievements for upgrading to the max enhancement.

    If someone makes this plugin, perhaps they could add notetags for items that can increase the chances as well.
     
    #3
  4. Poryg

    Poryg Dark Lord of the Castle of Javascreeps Veteran

    Messages:
    4,018
    Likes Received:
    10,169
    Location:
    Czech Republic
    First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm aware of this issue. It's not the only one of the endgame issues a game has.
    Another ones are:
    Too easy enemies due to very advanced characters
    Combat streamlined to several repetitive points
    having 30 skills and only 5 of them useful due to the remaining 25 skills being too weak to be useful
    having buff skills that are completely useless, because they don't pack enough punch to justify lost turn
    or the exact opposite, because the devs wanted to artificially increase playtime.
    Then there's also combat relying on RNG by granting bosses stupidly strong skills that have a certain % chance to cast every turn.
    And I'm sure there's still more.
    But why these issues occur?
    Because the game devs didn't balance the game right!

    I can also give you several reasons to spend gold, to be honest. For example there aren't too many games that actually force me to buy healing items. And in the end if I buy them, it's often because I have nothing better to do with the money, not because I need them.
    I don't even need to buy nearly as many equipments as there are, because mostly they just have greater stats, so I only need to buy equips when the previous ones become obsolete. Althoigh it would be nice to finally have a game where I need to carry multiple equips for changing conditions.
    And if you really want to build features to merely burn redundant gold, there are always things that don't completely ignore the importance of game balance. For example arenas to gain equips you can't gain normally, stuff like trading cards, house building, your own puppy or horse, marrying a woman, investing in stock shares, charity donations, world domination,... Or just throwing the money out of the window.
    Or you can implement death penalties.

    But now seriously. If you want to deal with gold, you can decrease the gold gains from battles. You can force the player to buy more versatile equips to go on with various necessary strategies. You can force him to buy healing items, because he needs them. But burning gold doesn't solve the problem at all, it only attempts to hide it if I say it like this.
    Of course, it's still up to you as to what you want to do with your game. I just made my suggestions.
     
    #4
  5. dahlys

    dahlys Meatbun Veteran

    Messages:
    91
    Likes Received:
    92
    Location:
    California, USA
    First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    http://yanfly.moe/2016/04/29/yep-96-item-disassemble-rpg-maker-mv/

    Yanfly's item disassemble can do it. Simply disassemble an item into its...enhanced form. Then rename disassemble to enhancement. It even comes with the random probability factor!

    The disassembler item becomes the item needed for enhancement. You can add a common event call to the disassembler item that takes gold away from the player upon use.

    The rest can be done by eventing the blacksmith. Eg. Only given and allowed to use the disassembler item when you pay him gold and items. Basically, buy/trade it from him.

    If you don't like having a visible disassembler item then make it a hidden item, give it to the player, activate the plugin command and summon the item menu SceneManager.push(Scene_Item)
    After that make sure the event deactivates disassembler by plugin command.
     
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
    #5
  6. Hiek

    Hiek Creator Veteran

    Messages:
    231
    Likes Received:
    57
    First Language:
    English
    This is a pretty interesting way of doing it.
    However, the problem with this is if the 'chance' part fails, you completely lose the Weapon/Armor with this plugin from what I was seeing in Yanfly's showcase compared to what I was requesting where if it fails, nothing happens and you can keep trying, but it could have a chance to break as well.

    I like the idea where you could setup different kits which you could make some give better success rate, but what happens if you fail the 'salvage' when used as an Enhancement system?
     
    #6
  7. dahlys

    dahlys Meatbun Veteran

    Messages:
    91
    Likes Received:
    92
    Location:
    California, USA
    First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So I altered 1 function in Yanfly's plugin. It now only removes the original item if disassemble/enhancement was a success. When disassemble fails, there is a 10% chance of original item breaking. It's a bit crude, but just change 0.1 to any percentage you want. I tested it with items, have not tested with weapons, but it works!

    The addition is:
    if (results.length > 0) {
    $gameParty.loseItem(this.item(), 1);
    } else if (Math.random() < 0.1) {
    $gameParty.loseItem(this.item(), 1);
    }

    Removal is: $gameParty.loseItem(this.item(), 1);
    which used to be right above the line this._disassemblePoolWindow.refresh();

    Code:
    Scene_Item.prototype.onDisassemblerListOk = function() {
        var effectItem = this._disassemblerListWindow.item();
        if (effectItem) {
          var results = ItemManager.disassemble(this.item(), effectItem);
          if (results.length > 0) {
              $gameParty.loseItem(this.item(), 1);
          } else if (Math.random() < 0.1) {
              $gameParty.loseItem(this.item(), 1);
          }
        } else {
          var results = [];
        }
        this._disassemblePoolWindow.refresh();
        $gameParty.consumeItem(effectItem);
        this._disassembleResultWindow.setResults(results)
    };
     
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
    #7

Share This Page