AphoticAmaranth

An Ordinary Human
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Something I've seen in a couple of other games is equipment set effects, where if you equip multiple armours in a set you'll get more bonuses... I've been wondering, is this really a good mechanic to have?

While it might give players some incentive to try and complete the set, I do have a couple of concerns about it.

Firstly, is that it oversimplifies equipment selection and takes away the fun of building your own character. Why bother to think about what to equip in each slot, when you can just pick a complete set and be done with it?

Secondly, there is also the problem of when you get a new armour that is better than your current armour, but if you equip it you'd lose the set effect and actually become worse instead, so you can't use it immediately...

What do y'all think?

NaosoX

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Depends on how you structure your game.
Only you can decide what's best.
Taking into account your concerns, it may be a positive or negative result depending on factors you incorporate. Things you might consider such as: armor pieces/full set obtainment frequency, stat progression on pieces as you progress, etc.
Would you reward full sets at one time? Possibly making level 10 - 19 range, then mixed pieces until level 30, etc.
What about sets in the accessory range, 2 specific items can theoretically be considered a set and unlock a benefit.
You won't be able to fully satisfy every player audience; I'd recommend you make the choices which appeal to you if you were the player.
Good luck!

MiLo-Katergaris

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I have a Collector Class in my game which is focused on items and equipment. They have a learnable ability that allows them to gain special boosts from wearing armor sets. The player can then switch out sets to get different boosts like auto-life from the Armor of the Dawn or doubled Void damage when wearing the Armor of the Abyss. The player gives up a skill usable in battle but they gain a highly modular passive skillset that they can prepare before and change between battle.

Last edited:

NaosoX

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Nice! Can't wait to check it out.

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I was *just* (and I mean *just*, not 10 minutes ago) thinking about this, while playing an MMO, and relating its sets and bonuses to my story.
specifically, I was thinking of one specific set that bears the name of one iconic demon from Hell (I forget the actual story about it, but I remember the name) so I thought "maybe I can write a quest involving the hunting of these demons, and obtaining the armor".... but then I realized the main quest is kind of already the same thing, except with more powerful gear, so why have duplicated quests?

I think sets should be given as a plot device, or as a major reward, as opposed to as very rare drops.
in Diablo 2 there's the possibility of obtaining set parts as drops from any monster, but across all the monsters I killed in my playthroughs, I only got two or three separate pieces of different sets (a belt and a helmet, that I remember), yet there's supposed to be a good dozen different sets, with various bonuses.
how much would you have to grind to obtain *one* complete set, let alone all of them?
on the other hand, if you consider the multiplayer aspect, and the online market, now that's a different story, because millions of players worldwide grinding for loot at the same time is bound to drop an entire set sooner or later.
if we're talking single player adventure game, make it a quest reward.

NaosoX

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
*hears potions flipping and gold stacks dropping*
Lol

gelboy

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
It depends on how you design your game! Personally I like them as little bonuses/utility that's only relevant to specific playstyles. If the bonus is too good or can apply to any playstyle (+damage is ALWAYS good), players will feel like they're missing out if they're not using it. And rather than themed sets, I put them in combinations of gear/skills that work well together.

Not the best example, but let's say this fire helmet works well with the fire gloves bc its designed to, so you get a small fire melee. But the fire helmet's skills also synergize with the kinetic gloves so you get bonus chance to set enemies ablaze.

You're still encouraged to mix and match, and you're also rewarded to use gear that synergizes. Sometimes players will find more combos that work, so I keep this in mind if I add more bonuses.

Last edited:

MarxMayhem

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Something I've seen in a couple of other games is equipment set effects, where if you equip multiple armours in a set you'll get more bonuses... I've been wondering, is this really a good mechanic to have?
Like all things, this depends on execution. I would like to speak for set bonuses by tackling your concerns about it.
Firstly, is that it oversimplifies equipment selection and takes away the fun of building your own character. Why bother to think about what to equip in each slot, when you can just pick a complete set and be done with it?
Equipment sets do not have to be strictly Headgear+Armor+Boots and/or Weapon and/or Accessory. You are free to mix this up as you see fit. If you have sets that has uses less equipment slots, that will allow your players to still use other equipment.

In addition, character customization goes beyond what equipment a character can equip. Stat allocation, skill lineup and synergy, and skill synergy with equipment are valid things to look into when personalizing your character in combat. Games that allow customization will usually have some or all of these, and then some.

Lastly, unless you give players a reason to be concerned about what they're equipping, they usually won't care about equipment. They naturally use the stuff with the better numbers and sell off the old equipment. If you introduce equipment sets, you give them a reason to care about what they will equip, specially if you make it hard for them to collect all the pieces. Their customization becomes linear, yes. However, you are instructing them that there is a path and they will be rewarded for taking it.
Secondly, there is also the problem of when you get a new armour that is better than your current armour, but if you equip it you'd lose the set effect and actually become worse instead, so you can't use it immediately...
You are correct that that is a problem. However I think that it is a nice problem to have. This puts a conundrum to players: Do you use the equipment now and lose the set effects of your current equipment, or hold on until you complete the next set up and maybe making things hard for you. If the game dev does a good-enough job, there will be no clear answer to that question, and that makes experience to the game mire worth it.

Krazix

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
they can add fun and unique effects to characters, and if done right can be a nice reward especially for sidequests.

but like you say they can easily be a burden in that you feel like you can never upgrade them because breaking set bonus' isn't worth the minor stat increase of other equipment.

M.I.A.

Goofball Extraordinaire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I like to keep set bonuses as a small perk, rather than a main mechanic. That way, when the set bonus is broken, you don't miss the perk too much. EX: equiping Fire Rod, Flame Cape, Burning Boots, and Flare Ring.. will give the player all the benefits of that equipment, but will also now grant a 5% chance of adding "Burn" state when performing a normal attack.

A perk, not necessarily a bonus. :p
Hope this helps!
-MIA

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

ready to fall into another development hell...
Mega has been giving me a lot of problems as of late, so I think I'll need to switch to another cloud service. I'm considering Dropbox.
Rough week, but in the end there's light in the darkness.
Mental health is an issue I wish was taken more seriously.
Take care.
1638421271905.jpeg
By the power of timezones! This picture shall still be posted on december 1st!!!
7xI2Gc2.jpg

This is not something I'd ever even considered but wow! What a way to use music in a game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tgjtjtjt