RMMV Equipment Upgrade System (new plugin dev looking for idea feedback)

Forchuse

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello all!

A while back I started working on a plugin for upgrading equipment stats in-game in lieu of entering numerous equipment items into the db for each key breakpoint of character progression. This plugin, which I've currently dubbed the Crystal System, works by infusing enabled equipment with crystals (or whatever item you wish), with the stat progression and level cap set via plugin parameters and/or Notetags.

Currently, the item's atypeId or wtypeId are what determines which equips and stats are enabled for upgrade by default, as well as which "stat block" it will receive (stat blocks hold all values for each stat at every crystal level). All defaults are open to override via Notetag, such as locking or unlocking different stats from the default, overriding the defaults entirely, disabling infusions, assigning a different stat block, or a completely custom set of stats for that equip only.

There's an accompanying 'crafting' system of sorts, allowing manipulation of the three sizes of crystals, including Combine, Shatter, and Transmute (change from one type of crystal to another type of the same size). There are 8 types of crystal, one per stat. You are able to set the infusion requirements for each level in the plugin parameters.

It's compatible with Yanfly's Individual Items plugin, but if you're not using that you can enable infused items to become their own unique item in the database and can have the name edited (with a couple options) upon infusion.

It's designed to be used on as many or as few items as you wish. You could have it available for every piece of equipment in the game, or only on a few legendary items that can grow with the character(s), and everything in between.

My main questions:
  • Is this something anyone is at all interested in? If so, is there anything in particular you'd like a system like this to do?
  • Is there a "too many plugin parameters" threshold? I feel like this one's got a lot but I can't figure out a way to pare them down without remove core function customizability.
  • If no to the above, would the ability to customize the Infusion Scene's windows/text be a tantalizing feature? Such as whether or not you want the name of an equip's stat block to show (i.e. "Warrior"), or the number of possible infusions/its percentage of completion displayed, or reorder the window arrangement?
I'm including a few screenshots of preliminary scene development to hopefully give a better idea what I tried to describe above in text:

(Please note, I'm currently in the middle of changing around the layout of the following scenes)
Custom_Infusion.PNG

Shatter1.PNGTransmute2.PNG

Custom Stat Block (x+30 means that stat would increase by 30 each level, 'sm' etc are the infusion crystal requirements for each level):
notetagExample_customStatBlock.jpg

This would change the equip's stat block from its default to the Warrior set of stats as well as disable Defense and Agility from receiving infusion upgrades (which are normally enabled for that equip's defaults):
notetagExample_changeDefaults.jpg

Any and all feedback on the concept is extremely appreciated. I'd like to know if I'm on the right track here and if there's anything I missed or can improve!

~Forchuse

Vis_Mage

Novice Magician
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey, just came across this plugin, and from what you've shared so far, it looks like a really interesting system! It 's different enough from the other available equipment upgrade plugins to provide a unique alternative, and definitely something I'd be interested in using personally!

The functionality looks pretty solid so far, so most of my suggestions would mostly be small additions or configurable options. Down the line, having a demo to help fully understand the setup needed for the plugin would be helpful. As a more behind-the-scenes tip, I'd recommend having the scene be something besides "Scene_Crafting", since several other plugins already use that, and it can cause easily avoidable incompatibilities (I speak from experience).

For plugin parameters, I'd say there isn't really a point of "too many options". I'd much rather have the options to fine tune the system just how I'd like it than have certain things be un-configurable and require editing the plugin itself to work around. As such, some options to configure the scene window/text would be much appreciated.

darklugia1997

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
How amazing, I was really looking for something like this, I know it's still in development for MV, but I would very much like you to export to MZ in the future too, your work is very good.

Forchuse

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The functionality looks pretty solid so far, so most of my suggestions would mostly be small additions or configurable options. Down the line, having a demo to help fully understand the setup needed for the plugin would be helpful. As a more behind-the-scenes tip, I'd recommend having the scene be something besides "Scene_Crafting", since several other plugins already use that, and it can cause easily avoidable incompatibilities (I speak from experience).

For plugin parameters, I'd say there isn't really a point of "too many options". I'd much rather have the options to fine tune the system just how I'd like it than have certain things be un-configurable and require editing the plugin itself to work around. As such, some options to configure the scene window/text would be much appreciated.
Thank you so much! I'm currently looking into ways to allow some window arrangement customization without creating an utter mess of code (perhaps have a few pre-set configuration options for people to choose from? still not quite sure). I do plan on making a demo vid and an instructional vid to accompany the help text (I'm a very visual person and always loved Yanfly and SRD's plugin videos).

I always appreciate behind-the-scenes tips :) It's currently named "Scene_Crystals," though I've been considering renaming it "Scene_CrystalSystem" for extra wiggle-room in the realm of potential name clashes.

I know it's still in development for MV, but I would very much like you to export to MZ in the future too
That's my plan once the initial MV version is fully up and running :) I recently purchased MZ and have been doing some research on how to port between versions. Thank you for the feedback! Is there anything in particular you would want in terms of functionality and/or customization from this type of plugin that wasn't listed in the original post?

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

no, not my duct tape, anything but my duct tape!
I totally didn't forget that I need to make a map for the tourney and totally didn't waste an entire day going through all 5 eps of the wolf among us
Now I noticed that I joined the forum on April's 7. My birthday is April's 8. I purchased RPG Maker as a gift for myself and had forgotten this. :guffaw:
too... many... ideas... can't... edit them down :dizzy:
Don't you love your work?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catzaa