RPGMaker25

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hello!

I have just recently got into making RPG games using VX Ace, and I would appreciate some help!

Below is what I am trying to achieve with an event I am creating for my game.. I would appreciate it if anyone out there would tell me how it is possible to do it. Note however, that I am new to all of this.. so please use simple terms so that I can  understand what to do! lol

What I'd like to happen:

My character (which is a sprite I created, so I haven't gone through any character creation before starting the game) is about to leave his house, however he needs to collect his sword and coat. Each item is a separate event.

For the sword, I would like the sword to disappear from the wall after the event is completed, and also to have my actor equip it.

I would like something similar for the coat, as well. However, during the coat event I have it so the screen fades in and out, a sound plays, and then - as the screen fades in again - I would like the character's sprite changed so it looks as if he is wearing the coat. Also to have the coat (which is armor) equipped, just like the sword from earlier. 

If anyone can figure out a way for me to do this, I would be very appreciative! 

Thanks!

Misaki

Dusk
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Everything on this list is fairly simple to do. In fact, VERY simple.

For the the sword, use the fancy 'Change Equipment' Option on page one, set it to your character that you want it to be on, and your good to go. After that's completed, you make a self-switch(There are other ways of doing this, but I find this the easiest.) (If you don't know how to make a self switch, then try and figure it out, I'm explaining on HOW to do it :D ).

For the armor, same thing as the sword. Do the exact same method for the sword. For equiping the coat, there is on page three of events, 'Change Actor Graphics'. Change the graphic of your targetted character to the graphic of the character(Sorry, we don't magically make a new sprite automatically for the character equiping the coat.. gosh that would be a lot of work).

This is simple things that you should easily be capable of, as long as you know your way.

Good luck :)

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
or you can use Victor's Visual Equips if you want your equips to show visually... though you'd need cloth sprites. if it's only the coat, then just do Misaki's suggestion but if it's for all items and/or multiple characters too, you might really wanna use Victor's script

RPGMaker25

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Everything on this list is fairly simple to do. In fact, VERY simple.

For the the sword, use the fancy 'Change Equipment' Option on page one, set it to your character that you want it to be on, and your good to go. After that's completed, you make a self-switch(There are other ways of doing this, but I find this the easiest.) (If you don't know how to make a self switch, then try and figure it out, I'm explaining on HOW to do it :D ).

For the armor, same thing as the sword. Do the exact same method for the sword. For equiping the coat, there is on page three of events, 'Change Actor Graphics'. Change the graphic of your targetted character to the graphic of the character(Sorry, we don't magically make a new sprite automatically for the character equiping the coat.. gosh that would be a lot of work).

This is simple things that you should easily be capable of, as long as you know your way.

Good luck :)

Thanks for the suggestions.. However I tried to change equipment but it keeps coming up with (none) on the weapons tab. I know I have made the weapon that I want to use because when I go to select the armor (the coat) it comes up on the drop down list...

Also, the items I created sometimes do not even show up in the players inventory. When they do, the game wont let me equip them..

Could you please explain step by step how to do this right? It would be a huge help. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Aceri

Author
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Did you link the event graphic of the sword to the actual weapon itself in the database so that when you interact with it, it auto-equips?

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
and make sure that the weapon/armor's type is usable by the actor/class

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
However I tried to change equipment but it keeps coming up with (none) on the weapons tab. I know I have made the weapon that I want to use because when I go to select the armor (the coat) it comes up on the drop down list...
There are several conditions that need to be fulfilled before using change equipment on an actor.
1) The actor needs the feature for allowing the equipment type to be used.

You can check that in the actor tab in the database, if the equipment isn't available in the dropdown list as start equipment, then the actor cannot equipt it later in the game and needs the feature for that weapon/armor.

2) The equipment needs to be in the party inventory.

The change equipment command doesn't create items out of the air, it can only equip things that are currently in the party inventory.

3) The change equipment command cannot exchange an equipment in a sealed slot.

If the slot is sealed by a feature from somewhere, the command will fail. for example, a twohanded-weapon is usually simulated by having the shield-slot sealed when equipping that weapon. if you try to equip a shield by events that command will fail if a 2HW is already equipped.

RPGMaker25

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thanks, I gave it all a try and managed to get what I wanted in the end!

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Winter Cover.png
Peeps, can we just take some time to appreciate the mods here? They're so friendly, and they're always there for us when we need help. Now that I've been here for two years, I want to thank the mods and admins for keeping it positive here on the forum. They're the reason I've stayed so long! Here's to you!
If it gets 6 degrees hotter we've reach 100
I am finally done making the 'superbosses' in my game!
I'm happy because oh my gosh they were a lot of work, but I'm also sad because I love database work... And also because I loved making stupid powerful bosses ._.
Question for anyone who reads Slip into Ruby or Jump into Javascript: do I sometimes get too "explainy" with the methods/functions? Would it be more useful if I stuck to explaining what the code is doing rather than also delving into minutiae of the technical side of it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fartsucker