Eredia: Diary of Heroes

Destroshard

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Destroshard You need to make sure the image size matches your map size in pixels or else the map will repeat. If you are using an odd size that doesn't size to whole numbers make the canvas size to match the nearest whole size and make sure its transparent around the edges then RPG Maker will fill in the standard black border.

@RishigangiX Going to take another stab at this demo this weekend.

well the grid i think is suppose to be by default 48x48 right? i mean i followed extactly the tutorial on this. so if she was wrong about a step on the math of the maps i am not sure what that would be. in game i made each map 25 by 20. and the parallax maps are 1200 x 960. according to the tutorial thats what its suppose to be.

Arcmagik

Game Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Destroshard But Fallen Lorelei's tutorial is a basic tutorial and uses standard resolution so if you use a plugin that changes the resolution then there is an extra step because that isn't the basic set-up. PM me and I will explain it further. I don't want to muck up @RishigangiX demo thread with it.

Last edited by a moderator:

RishigangiX

Professional Procrastinator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
alright man, np see you then.

here is some minor typo fixes. the letter you read in the cave with the dead body after the lesser  Kardikan.

http://prntscr.com/bzv8y9

Thanks for the report again, I am fixing typos now for the next update, using a text extractor and a spell check tool. But it doesn't capture the terms that are mistyped into different words e.g is -> his. For those, I will have to search manually. About the parallax mapping, I can't really help because I've never tried it myself. 

@RishigangiX I just downloaded this yesterday and put almost 6 hours in since then and I have to say that this demo is really well done, the characters are alright and the dialogue quite humorous at times, even if a bit adolescent :)   I don't have any new bugs to report that hasn't already been reported. I am curious, however, if you ever got a response regarding the fist killed mob reappearing in battles from the plugin creator? I know the mob doesn't do anything, but it's a bit odd. I actually had all four bandits spawn right back in during one of the larger bandits fight and at first though the boss bandit had called for back up..... But when he died and the victory screen came up, I knew that not to be the case. Since then I see it randomly here or there, and I'm not 100% sure but I think it might only be occurring where there are 3 or more mobs in the fight.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. ^^
No response yet, even though he said it will take him a while, it has been quite a long time since I made the request.
I will make sure the issue is fixed before the final release, if I get no response, I will commission someone to fix the problem.
The mobs are redrawn when you use a skill that targets many enemies, it redraws all the enemies that you've killed already. I don't think the number of enemies in the battle has anything to do with it.

@Destroshard You need to make sure the image size matches your map size in pixels or else the map will repeat. If you are using an odd size that doesn't size to whole numbers make the canvas size to match the nearest whole size and make sure its transparent around the edges then RPG Maker will fill in the standard black border.

@RishigangiX Going to take another stab at this demo this weekend.

Sure, I've also added autosave in the update.

Destroshard

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
well i recommend trying the parallax mapping if you haven't tried it lol. its actually a way better way to have better custom made maps i think. its just work, but for a commercial game it may be something to consider. pandamaru has some great tree designs to use. i've almost got what i need done i think. takes some time though. i have to redo all 6 of my forest maps now. i messed up the overlays =(

Welcome back by the way!

RishigangiX

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Even though parallax mapping can do wonders at times, I am afraid implementing it in a large scale open world game with over 1000 maps and 100 side quests, it might end up becoming a bit too time consuming. I plan to use custom resources and RTP edits and use them to the best of my abilities to create aesthetically appealing maps. However, I have decided not to use parallax mapping and it is a design decision on my part.

Though I will definitely use parallax mapping if I make a smaller and more linear game in the future. ^^

Good luck with redoing your maps. 

Destroshard

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
oh yeah dude i already finished that part just putting them into the game now and making adjustments. it looks so much better than the default maps and you can add whatever you want just about too. even custom stuff alot easier. the defaults of the maps for MV are specific and have to have stuff in the game for them to work. but with parallax you literally can make something and put it on the map and it will be there in game. like i made my own sign post and text on it for instance. haven't seen much resources for sign posts just yet either but just imaging the increase of possibilities is great. your right though it is time consuming, but from my perspective a commercial game i guess i would try to show others just how much work is put into the details and what not. might get more attention for players to want to buy and play you know? like i'm not planning to redo all my maps to parallax not saying that. just some , it is obviously in your control just how many you make to be parallax or not. but the knowledge that comes from understanding how to definately opening up new doors to what you know you could add or not to your game or anyones for that matter. was a tad rough to understand at first like most new learning things but once you understand it. It just gets easier from there. lets not forget transparent water also, makes water look more alive instead of still stagnate mapping.

either way up to you, no problem just thought i would throw it out there.

RishigangiX

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Actually, another reason for me not to implement it is that I plan to release it for android and iOS platforms as well.

The performance of RPG Maker games on these devices is bad enough already as it is, and parallax mapping can only make it worse.

I will however use custom resources and tiles to make the game look more dynamic and varied, the problem of stagnant mapping will be fixed.

Destroshard

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
ok i got a question similar to that post awhile back where i had a enemy npc that wouldn't vanish after battle. how would i make it so that on a separate map i kill a boss that enables on another map a npc to move out of the way for player to cross a bridge? i've tried to make this work but it hasn't been responding to anything.

RishigangiX

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
In that case, you can only use switches for the boss, and not a self switch.
Using the same switch that triggers the boss' disappearance, make the NPC move out of the way. (Of course this should be done by creating a separate event for the NPC after the boss is killed. Make sure that the kill condition for the first position and the appearance condition for the second position are linked to the same switch)

Destroshard

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The lifespan of these movement routes last only till you transfer to another map.
That is why you need to use a separate switch, and create a duplicate of the event in the position to which you have moved it and use the switch as its condition. Don't forget to create a blank event page for the original event which is triggered by the switch.
This way, the event will be at the new spot even if you re-enter the map.

by condition do you mean conditional branch ? or the check boxes under condition? for some reason i used to have this done but now its not working again and once again can't seem to understand it.

Arcmagik

Game Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
He does not mean conditional branches. He means the condition for which that event (or event page) would active. Meaning the Switch, Variable, Self-Switch or what have you that can be used to activate an event page. You need to have that boss battle active a normal switch (not self switch) and you need to set the other event to have a page with that switch set as the condition to display that page. If that NPC is going to be somewhere else after they move you need to create an additional event in that spot with the same switch condition set to have the NPC show there.

Destroshard

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
He does not mean conditional branches. He means the condition for which that event (or event page) would active. Meaning the Switch, Variable, Self-Switch or what have you that can be used to activate an event page. You need to have that boss battle active a normal switch (not self switch) and you need to set the other event to have a page with that switch set as the condition to display that page. If that NPC is going to be somewhere else after they move you need to create an additional event in that spot with the same switch condition set to have the NPC show there.

ok so when i kill the boss which is on a entirely different map. on the events last page i set a switch in the "contents" section right? and then the npc on other map on last page set the check box under conditions to that switch? it doesn't work. unless there is suppose to be a conditional branch in the contents for one of the two events last pages.

Ahhh nevermind about this topic, i figured it out. that took awhile. thanks though

Arcmagik

Game Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I am not at my computer right now so I can't make a sample for you and screenshot it. In the boss event or in the battle event with the boss you need to use "Control Switch", click to select a switch and name the switch to <BossWhatever> Defeated, and then make it turn the switch on. 

NPC Event, New Page, Set Switch <BossWhatever> Defeated, leave graphics blank and set under characters. Leave the event box blank.

NPC should now disappear after the <BossWhatever> Defeated switch is turned on by the boss event.

This is extremely simple eventing... almost basic. There are a lot of tutorials on using switches and they don't need to ve specific to MV as the eventing system has nearly remained the same since RM2k3. I used a RM2k3 tutorial to design a dueling system for my MV Game.

Destroshard

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
yeah nevermind i'm fairly new and i read tutorials but they never were detailed in the ways i intended their use it was always npcs that never vanished afterwards or it was with 4 npcs or whatever it has to be detailed without no missing steps for someone like me to understand. i'm partly visual learner and unlike others i have harder time learning than most about this sort of stuff. we all learn differently.

Rishi is one of the few people that didn't judge and would respond and nice about it unlike many others that seemed a lot more conceited and god complex. just cause they know about more of this stuff than others. even though i'm sure i know more  than they do in other topics entirely. lol so yeah.

Arcmagik

Game Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
As someone with a learning disability in reading and spelling with ADHD I fully understand visual learning and having to self teach in your ow  way of learning which is why I am increasingly thankful for youtube videos on things. I don't mean to come across as judging. I didn't start out knowing this stuff I have read countless tutorials, spent countless hours watching youtube video tutorials for everything, and just playing around in the editor. So I was trying to come from a place of experience when I suggested the tutorials.

RishigangiX

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I don't think anyone is being judgmental, feel free to ask anytime.
But Arcmagik is right about the tutorials, they help a lot. Even though I have been using RPG Maker for years now, I still get to learn new tips and tricks every now and then when I see these videos,

Of course, you shouldn't hesitate to ask anything, the community here is helpful, and I will help as much as I can as well.

Eredia Development News:

Full Version: 
Tournament system done. 
Crafting/Alchemy done. 
Pet/house system done. 
8 side quests added, 2-3 hours to main storyline added. 
Approx 45 new maps created. 

Demo Version: (Will be updated in a week) 
Multiple typo fixes. 
Minor Bug fixes. 

Preparations for the steam version are going smoothly, expect a steam greenlight page to be up by the end of the month, or early next month. 

RishigangiX

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The Steam Greenlight page for Eredia has been added to the main description!

Looking forward to your votes and feedback, thanks!

shayoko

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
As for the game itself the start was highly enjoyable with lots of dialog that made it feel like you are a part of the world rather then meaningless battles which plague the community.

i'm interested in where this is going,

RishigangiX

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@shayokoThanks for giving the game a try.

Yeah, that is because I love the world that I'm creating as much as the game and it's characters, and I just can't take any shortcuts when it comes to world creation, even if it may increase the production time. 

RishigangiX

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
While the development is progressing smoothly, I took some time out to address some of the issues that affected the quality of the demo. 
The following issues have been fixed in the new update: 

- Battler graphics of killed enemies no longer get redrawn when targeted by a skill.(Thanks MOG!) 
- Rewritten the prologue(Changed writing style). 
- Fixed a transfer issue in the Dolonde caves. 
- Fixed an issue where mana was consumed even when the teleportation was interrupted. 
- Changed some item prices. 
- Balanced some skills and skill costs. 

Regarding the development of the game itself, everything is going smoothly and the progress is actually faster than I had expected it to be! Character art for the new characters will be ready by the end of the month as well. 

I would also like to thank the testers for their effort. Testing an open world, 50+ hours game is not an easy feat by any means, especially when there is a lot of branching involved. I'd really be lost if it weren't for your great support and feedback! ^^

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Sneak peak of my upcoming update! Who's holding her, you may ask? Find out tonight!
10.PNG
BCj
Finished another GUI! Turn indicator wasn't made by me.

ff981f8dc50b03cf58038c644334b454.jpg

3cb092fdc00087acfa0a190fd891f0ed.jpg
Added a small refining scene to my game.

It makes sense that you try to focus on the squishy mages at the back of the party first, right? If the mage can out-DPS the enemy DPS before the latter can kill the tank in front, the fight becomes boring.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sorodin97