Error in Quest Journal by modern algebra HELP

Discussion in 'RGSSx Script Support' started by wrigty12, Jan 18, 2014.

1. wrigty12

wrigty12 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I am trying to work Quest Journal by modern algebra into my game, but when I run my game it gives me the error:

unexpected tLPAREN_ARG, expecting keyword_end

...| @failed_objectives.include? (i)

here is the script

http://pastebin.com/XX3SMtJK#

Please help, if I can't get this script to work, the whole concept of my game begins to crumble..

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2014
  2. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That is not the full error message. We need a script name and line number. Please post the ENTIRE error message.

Have you made any mods to the script? You must have, to actually add your quests.

Also make sure you've pasted the COMPLETE script into your game, and that you haven't accidentally added any characters or removed any. I'm betting it's not a problem with the script, but something you've done to it yourself.

For example, make sure that line in your script says this:

obj.delete (i) if i >= @objectives.size || @failed_objectives.include? (i)and not this:
    Code:
    obj.delete (i) if i >= @objectives.size | @failed_objectives.include? (i)
    which is what your partial error message MIGHT indicate (really - if you have an error, show the FULL message - EVERYTHING it gives you. The above is almost useless)
    If you can't figure it out from that, then paste YOUR version of the script (with all your side quests added) to pastebin and give us a link, so we can see what other changes you might have made.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2014
  3. wrigty12

wrigty12 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Sorry, my original attempt at this post had the line number, but I forgot it this time around..

And I had not added any quests yet. I just added the script, and went to run the game to check something when the error popped up. Nothing was altered from the link given.

COMPLETE Error Message:

Script 'Quests' line 568: SyntaxError occurred.

unexpected tLPAREN_ARG, expecting keyword_end

...| @failed_objectives.include? (i)

4. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Do you still get that with a new game? It might be because you used an existing save file.

5. wrigty12

wrigty12 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    The error comes up right away, the title screen doesnt even come up yet. So a new game vs existing saved file doesnt apply.

6. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    then it's either caused by an incompatibility with other scripts (please check with only the journal in a new project and link to all scripts you're using), or you made a mistake in implementing the script (either bug in download/copy or placed it at the wrong position or something like that).

The quest journal itself has been used in many projects without that error, so it has to be something specific to your project.

7. wrigty12

wrigty12 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I ran it in a blank project, and it did the exact same thing. Plus a previous version didn't have problems with my scripts, so I don't think that is the problem (even if there were changes.

The base fact is that it is the script's problem, since it spits out the same error in a blank project.

----AFTER RESEARCHING THE SPECIFIC ERROR ON GOOGLE----

It turns out that spacing between the "@failed_objectives.include?" and "(i)" wasn't supposed to be there.

Before:

obj.delete (i) if i >= @objectives.size || @failed_objectives.include? (i)After:

obj.delete (i) if i >= @objectives.size || @failed_objectives.include?(i)After doing this, it keeps spitting errors, but further down the code. It turns out there are tons of these "space errors" that need fixing in order to be used....

---AFTERWARDS---

After altering all the "space errors" it continues to give me new errors, like undefined methods for Update parts of the script. This seems to be full of errors that don't make any sense why they exist.

If someone has a working copy of this script (I can restore the settings to the way I want, and remove the quests you have inserted) I would be MOST grateful!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2014
  8. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I can't believe it's an error with the script - if it was, it would have been reported all over the place (many people are using Modern Algebra's quest script) and he would have fixed it.

Send me your Scripts.rvdata2 file and I'll take a look at it.

9. modern algebra

modern algebra Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    You might be trying to insert the VX version of the script into VXA. Try replacing it with the VXA version.

10. wrigty12

wrigty12 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Shaz - I am away from my computer until tomorrow.

Modern algebra - I was hoping you would see this, and that makes perfect sense now. I did replace the VXA version I had with the VX 2.0 thinking it was an upgrade. I fixed it.

But I am wondering, are you planning to add the Quest Shop to VXA ever?