HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Here I will be showing you how to make your game show an error message and crash on purpose. 

So first, we need our message. So in a script call, say

msg = "Text."

That'll set what text is going to come up. 

Next, we need to actually insert it into the message. So in the same script call, right underneath that, put, 

msgbox(sprintf(msg))

Where msgbox is the error window. After you're done that, set your event trigger (I'd recommend player touch). And maybe set a graphic. 

Now it should look something like this:

Screenshot (64).png

But, you'll also notice that the game keeps going after that, but in windowed form. If you would like the game to close directly after, go into your script call, and right below the last line, put "exit" which is the equivalent of saying "SceneManager.exit", which closes the game. Any script calls involving the SceneManager usually don't need a definition, so we don't need to define "exit" either. Now, save your event, and start your game. It should spawn the error message upon touching the event. 

For most, you may not need this in your game (though you never know), but I find this to be a rather good scripting exercise because you can play around with it and take it apart to see what does what. Hope you enjoyed this!    

The007who

Call me double 0s
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
For me doesn't work... As soon as I trigger the event it sends an error message

Script 'Game Interpreter' line 1411 : Names error occured

unitialized constant Game_Interpreter::Text

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I am very surprised that you actually attempted to use this. And I kind of forgot about this tutorial, to be honest. 

But, I kind of overlooked something crucial. Which is, what the script call should look like all together. 

msg = "Insert text here."

Code:
msgbox(sprintf(msg))

exit

So, do you have all of this? (Except for perhaps the exit if you don't want to close the game.)

The007who

Call me double 0s
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Yeah now it works, thanks(I forgot the quoration marks XD)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

NUMINA Part 1 is finally out ✨ Get it now with a 10% launch discount!
Made this simple Training Dummy :D

obraz_2022-07-01_095700524.png
I'm still undecided weather or not I should add minor swearing to my game. Like I'm going for an all ages demographic... but the idea of a cartoon character saying dammit, hell, or crap in normal conversation is really funny to me.
If we assume an Elf's strong suit is Dexterity (AGI) & Intellect (MAT), I imagine Strength (ATK) & Constitution (DEF) would be among their lowest stats. But I'm having a hard deciding which should be lower, Strength or Constitution?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
murderkil27