Error when porting the game

mardin

"...pretty please?"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Looks like the new update is nothing but trouble! Getting really upset. Fixed some but still getting a big error:

VM284:82 Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'items' of undefined
at eval (eval at <anonymous> (unknown source), <anonymous>:82:60)
at objj_class.objj_msgSendFast1 [as objj_msgSend1] (Objective-J.js:9388)
at eval (eval at <anonymous> (unknown source), <anonymous>:189:47)
at Array.forEach (<anonymous>)
at eval (eval at <anonymous> (unknown source), <anonymous>:187:33)
at eval (eval at <anonymous> (unknown source), <anonymous>:160:27)
at eval (eval at <anonymous> (unknown source), <anonymous>:156:29)
at objj_class.objj_msgSendFast2 [as objj_msgSend2] (Objective-J.js:9395)

What's even worse is that after this the engine stops porting and crashes.

Really upset with this, need a fix fast!

mardin

"...pretty please?"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
One full day of no help, great!

I found at least a workaround: You have to install beta version 1093 (via steam settings), then you have to get your assets out of your subfolders and put them into the main folder.

This might be because when trying to port the game, the engine already wants to place things in different folders, then stops midway because of this error.

So in order to make everything work again you have to for example place the Pictures/UI pictures in the Pictures folder.

Works for me for now. Still pretty upsetting.

mardin

"...pretty please?"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
If I go on the console details, this line is marked yellow:

var descriptor = self._commandDefinitions[aCommand.id].items;

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP

@mardin , please avoid double posting, as it is against the forum rules. You can use the "Edit" function on your posts to add additional information you've forgotten or respond to multiple people. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.

mardin

"...pretty please?"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Ok, sorry @slimmmeiske2

I have tracked down almost every potential error thanks to andre from discord. It looks like an illegal command inside a scene or an event is causing this. I do not know which one.

Visual Novel Maker skips illegal commands when they occur ingame, just like Visual Novel Maker skips assets like sounds or pictures that it cannot find.

And that makes the invalid command almost impossible to track down in a big game like mine.

Because of that, I would like to see a change made in the porting engine @Kentou ! If the new version skips invalid commands like the old version does, I don't see a reason why the engine tries to fix that (and then crashes and sends itself into a limbo). It should skip it just like it skips assets that it cannot find while porting the game to a new version!

I hope this is possible

mardin

"...pretty please?"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
In the forum rules it says that it is allowed to double post every 72 hours!

And that's what I will do. I have posted this problem on steam as well and seeked help on discord. While some members of the community tried to help finding the solution for this error, so far it has been nothing but frustrating.

When I said I need help fast, I wasn't lying. The new version fixes a couple of other bugs. It is frustrating that I can't port my big project to the new version!

I posted this problem 5 days ago. I mean, am I supposed to do something different than post this problem here?

mardin

"...pretty please?"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
In the forum rules it says that it is allowed to double post every 72 hours!

Sadly the problem still persists and I don't know what to do.

Kentou

Admin
Admin
Reaction score
Hi mardin, I can understand your frustration about the migration, which is why we kept the previous version v1093 active which you can still choose and which is recommended for existing projects in case of migration issues. And I actually thought this would be a good solution for you for now.

As mentioned before, the migration script could be changed yes but there is a chance that other migration issues might be still there after that depending on the the complexity of your project. If you like, I think I could try to send you a modified migration script which you can try, it will take a little bit until it is completed. Until then I would kindly ask for your patience.

mardin

"...pretty please?"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Hi mardin, I can understand your frustration about the migration, which is why we kept the previous version v1093 active which you can still choose and which is recommended for existing projects in case of migration issues. And I actually thought this would be a good solution for you for now.

As mentioned before, the migration script could be changed yes but there is a chance that other migration issues might be still there after that depending on the the complexity of your project. If you like, I think I could try to send you a modified migration script which you can try, it will take a little bit until it is completed. Until then I would kindly ask for your patience.
Thanks, yes. I take everything that I can get.

How long will it take?

Will it be ready before sunday?

Kentou

Admin
Admin
Reaction score
Hi, I attached a modified migration script. You have to paste it into vn-maker install folder/migrations and replace the existing one. Then try again.

Attachments

mardin

"...pretty please?"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Hi, I attached a modified migration script. You have to paste it into vn-maker install folder/migrations and replace the existing one. Then try again.
Edit: Works! Excellent! Thank you!

Should be noted that you have to put the unzipped folder into the migrations folder in order for it to work. Otherwise, if you are as stupid as me and unzip it into the migrations folder, it won't work!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Stream will be live shortly with a session of the Interactive Text Adventure! Feel free to drop by!
Took a break from spriting dinosaurs to carve a dinosaur pumpkin.

Little early but to all of you that celebrate it :

Tomorrow is Halloween! I can't wait to go to Boxi Park and show off my costume! Also one of Dad's friends is staying the night, so he might get to see the show.
Here's the title-screen for the game I'm working on: :LZSgrin:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FinnEver