RMMV Ervenfell - Crimson Plague (No Travel Game Jam)

Zliryu

Ryu
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
2.png

Hi.

I'm Dejan P. Blažević, but most people just call me by my nickname, Ryu.
This game contains some content from my fantasy book (Ervenfell - The Alteration). Figured I'll give MV a shot (loved 2k and still love vxace), so I made this short and rather fast game in 12 days (124 hrs says steam). I hope you enjoy a quick jump into my fantasy world :)

Tip: Wash your hands after every battle and everyday of the game, it will give you an advantage in battle.

Synopsis
:
In Ervenfell - Crimson Plague you play as Zara, a young Lighelf girl from Planin village, who is a novice healer/priestess of Myla [Goddess of Mercy].
Things prove to be a bit difficult when a sickness, a plague, suddenly appears and threatens to spread all across of Ervenfell.

Characters:
Main:
Zara: A young Lightelf, the main character
Myla: The Goddess of Mercy
The Order of Spellswords: A powerful group of abomination slayers visiting Planin village [Koib, Nami, Mave, Zirah, Iyo, Azra and Ryu (self insert confirmed xD)].
Other:
Many villagers, shop keepers and travelers at the inn.

Features:
-Playtime- is up to players. By skipping (fast forwarding) text and following the quests it will take up to 40min to complete the game, or you could just walk out of the city and get a game over screen.

-Books- ,all the books. If you feel like reading some more about the world of Ervenfell, you can do so in-game (or buy my book on amazon :D, even better).

-Choices- in this game matter, most of the time.

-No- cursed random encounters by walking around.

-Story- driven, battles are quick and easy to complete.

-Hopefully- you :).

Excuses:
I love the default rpg maker tilesets, always did, and I'm not an artist, but I will admit I would have done more and better, had I not started off so late :p barely made it in time as is (tell me if you find any bug/glitch/something that shouldn't happen, so I can correct it).

1.png
"Your home"

End:
Thank you for reading and enjoy the game :)

Download Link: Ervenfell - Crimson Plague
Download Link: Ervenfell - Crimson Plague v1.1
Download Link: Ervenfell - Crimson Plague v1.2
Download Link: Ervenfell - Crimson Plague v1.3
Download Link: Ervenfell - Crimson Plague v1.4
Download Link: Ervenfell - Crimson Plague v1.5
----------------------------------------------------------

Edit:

Itch.io Link:
Ervenfell - Crimson Plague v1.5

Google Play Link: Ervenfell - Crimson Plague v1.5

Updates:
v1.1:

-Fixed cutscene where characters disappeared too soon.
-Altered the village pre-forest area slightly.
-Fixed a few npc conversations that were strange.
-Lowered damage on the evolving plaguelings.

v1.2:
-Lowered music volume at the final boss, removed slight chance of double attack it was doing and moved it a bit to the right.
-Horses shouldn't be as crazy anymore.
-Fixed a few minor issues (camera wrong offset, soldier who was refusing to die, my save file that got packaged with the downloadable version etc.)
-Heal spell cost reduced by 10 mana.
-Some spellchecking and correcting.

v1.3:
-Added a Quest Journal to help players remember what to do.
-Quest related things now have a question mark above them.(Old save files might be bugged, but might be fixed with the next update)
-Fire damage reduced (was too strong) and poison damage increased.
-A few changes regarding gameplay (music, text, npc movement, battle background etc)
-Intro can now be skipped

v1.4:
-Complete overhaul of in-game books, removed and replaced all scrolling texts
-Text with more lines now have an additional pause to prevent skipping text on accident
-On level 4 the player unlocks a new spell, Self-Purify (Cures poison)
-The heal spell is now healing a bit more.
-Modified the damage dealers, lowers damage, but more attacking and less poison attacks.
-Fixed minor issues and added some hidden loot here and there :)

v1.5:
-Almost all cutscenes can be skipped now
-Player can now go out at night (day 1 and 3)
-Added 2 side characters that are only active at night
-Modified items and spells (Holy Fire causes burn now, bread has a chance to heal confusion caused by the exchange spell, plague purge does more damage etc)
-Fixed a few quest "bubbles" that were a bit off
-Guard skill restores a bit of HP and Mana now
-Starting a new game will give the player Aragna's Ring and Scarf, offering a bit more protection and max. mana
-The game can now be completed within 20 minutes or less

Last edited:

KV_Kingdom

Furry Potato
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It just so happens that this guard here is only MOSTLY dead.

Not All Dead.jpg

I played this game not once, but twice! Here are the issues & complaints I encountered during my playthroughs:

• Pauses in text cause me to occasionally miss text, and are otherwise annoying. Recommended fix: either drop the pauses, or make the pauses rely on interaction to proceed.
  • Why are almost all of the items useless?
  • Touching some of the horses results in multiple horse sounds (which can be funny when you know what's happening)
  • Some BGM is really quiet, others (like the final battle) are really loud
  • There is a save file in slot one by default
  • Final boss occasionally attacks twice

Incorporating the Guard skill into the enemies' repertoire was an interesting touch. I'll have to try it myself sometime! The jokes in the doodads and the chatter from nonessential NPCs were amusing. The pacing was tight, and it wasn't hard to figure out what needed to be done next.

I didn't reach 5/5 on either of my playthroughs; does anything special happen if you do? (You don't have to spoil it, just general curiosity)

In summary, this game was a short, enjoyable romp through a fantasy world. The battle system could use a little more polish, but it's otherwise a solid entry!

Zliryu

Ryu
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@KV_Kingdom - Nice nice, thanks, gonna mark these down for the next update.
As for the score and secret ending with 5/5 (boys, bury child remains, buy goro some wine (clear out the bat cave + puzzle on Day 2), bring teeth to viki, get involved. I think this doesn't spoil much).

Edit: I have noticed that the camera pans too much on "get involved", it'll also be fixed in the next update.
Edit2: Update has been done.
I'll leave the text pauses in there, I've been told by more people that they like that, so it'll stay for now.
Items are useless in the market place, intentionally, but now I've added a message where Zara says to herself that she doesn't need anything from there. (It's just bait for players to waist their money, instead of buying wine for Goro hehe.)
The other issues should be resolved now.
Thanks for the review again, helped.

Last edited:

hiddenone

Lurker Extraordinaire
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I gave this a go, unfortunately I played the first version because that's what I downloaded at the start of the month. :rswt
⦁ Noooo, please don't use scrolling text as an intro! Not all players are able to read quickly (or they have to look away from the screen for some reason), so you're making the player have to decide between restarting the game or just going forward and hoping they didn't miss any good story

⦁ Pauses in dialogue can work well, but a lot of the ones used with the goddess and Zara are in odd places. Pausing in the middle of sentences is something real people do, but for a player it's more of a distraction from what's being said

⦁ You clearly have a lot of backstory and info for this world, which is great! But the scrolling text to share the books is a poor choice because like the intro, not everyone can read scrolling text. If you want to share those details with the player, then please find a different method (like a book plugin)

⦁ Jeez, how hard did Anna fall to break her neck on the small table? :o

⦁ How come Zara doesn't have a poison-curing skill, or a basic healing one? For a healer, it seems strange that she doesn't have one from the start

⦁ You could use tints to show that time has passed and that it's dark outside, instead of just saying it in a message

⦁ When you step in to help Ryu and company with the guards, Ryu's party's sprites disappear
missing adventurers.png
⦁ Heal is waaaay too weak to be useful in the boss fight. I hope that's something you've already fixed, but as it is I don't think there's any way I can win that fight

Overall the story and world is interesting, but the battle balance ruined it for me. It sounds like you probably already fixed that, but I don't want to redownload games if I can help it. :rswt Hopefully you get more players who are playing the newest version, I'm sure there are quite a few people around here who'd enjoy this. Good luck with your projects! :rwink:

Zliryu

Ryu
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@hiddenone oh nice :D
Yeah a lot of that was fixed already, but you did mention some stuff that's still in the game.
Great point about the cure spell :D
Hm the heal spell did cost a lot in 1v, gonna increase the heal ratio of that a bit.
Do you have any alternative to the scrolling texts? Without using plugins/scripts etc. I could use text boxes and ask the player after one or two if they want to continue reading, but time was kinda too short to make that in the first version xD
As for Anna haha the human body is strange. I once fell as a kid from 9 meters, not a scratch and yet someone slips in their shower, falls the wrong way and dies. Happens.
Ah I know, but if I put the tint, I probably have to enable some plugin for light, which I want to avoid. This game has no scripts/plugins so far. It even has a single common event script that I added for the quest journal in 1.3v xD. I'm Baiting a few friends to start making their own games, but they are under the impression that you need a gazillion plugins/scripts to make something playable.
I might get rid of the text pauses, or modify them somehow, maybe add a pause at the end to prevent text being skipped over by accident.

Thanks for taking the time to play and review the game :)

hiddenone

Lurker Extraordinaire
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
If you want to make a game without any plugins as a challenge to yourself, there are definitely ways to do that. But don't be afraid to use them to improve your game, they're tools just like anything else. :)

For an evented scrolling text alternative, you could show pictures instead. If you took some time to set up fake pages in an art program, then interacting with the bookcases could feel more like reading a book to the player. You definitely wouldn't need as many pages as you would normal text boxes.

As for tints, a little can go a long way. A slight increase in the blues and greys mixed with some red to the screen can make it look like night or cloudy weather without you needing to darken the screen so much that you need to add in lights to let the player see.

Zliryu

Ryu
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@KV_Kingdom did the suggestion you gave for the text pauses in the last updated, does feel better as I added a pause and interact to them (\|\! this). Ty

@hiddenone thnx for the advice again, books look by far better now in-game. I went with the picture approach. Took a few days to make them but looks great now. Removed all the scrolling texts. It does add around 15 mb to the game, but was worth it.

For the next update I plan to allow players to wander at night too, but for now I have to figure this android problem I have (Some white horizontal and/or vertical lines show up on the map, but only on my new phone, old one and tablet seem to run it fine, I believe it's something with the resolution tho)
PlaninAboP1.png
@Touchfuzzy same goes to you, I rewatched the twitch video (day 1) to fix things up. This is now the oath, still long I know, but it was twice as long and in a scrolling text too xD. Horses are not crazy anymore too.
HealerOath.png
Any other suggestions are welcome :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I ain't dead btw, just trying to keep up with university :)
Ami
--- Anti-Bear Circle ---

F.Fighter: Shoot! that Bear is really stronger than i expected!
Hero: Don't worry,i perform this (Draw The Big Circle On The Ground)
F.Fighter: What are you doing?
Hero: It's Anti-Bear Circle. the Bear will never attacking u---
(The Bear attacking Hero F.Fighter)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
qrykan