Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I want to restrict Escape to the use of a skill, rather than something from the battle command menu. I have the skill call a common event with 'Abort Battle' command. However, obviously I don't want this to be usable for a boss battle, so need a way of restricting this if necessary.

However, I've drawn a blank on how to do this. It's probably something obvious to everyone else, but not to me.

Can anyone help me out?
Thanks.

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Maybe create a switch that enables/disables escape and use it as a condition for a successful escape in your common event. You can always activate/deactivate that switch just before entering a boss battle.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
https://yanflychannel.wordpress.com/rmvxa/gameplay-scripts/skill-restrictions/
use a notetag
Code:
<restrict if switch: x>
then flip the switch to disable the skill
(disclaimer, I never use this feature from the script)

An alternative would be a condition check on your common event if the switch is ON, then don't abort. But I guess that you don't want the skill to be usable at all from the menu.

Reactions: Kes

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@MushroomCake28 That has the merit of great simplicity. I knew it would be something obvious (obvious, that is, to other people, not to me).

@TheoAllen I'm not sure what using this script (which I'm using for other purposes, so it's already installed) would add to MushroomCake28's suggestion. Could you explain? As for not using the skill from the Menu, if it is set to Battle only, then that shouldn't be a problem, unless I've overlooked something?

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Kes the difference with my solution and mushcake's one is, if you use the common event route, the skill is actually used then it calls a common event. If you go with my route, the skill is grayed out, effectively disabled it when the switch is flipped. Also by the menu, I mean, when you select the skill from the skill menu window during battle.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@TheoAllen Then I think I'll go with your solution, as it also solves the problem of restoring the skill cost to the actor when it can't be used.

@MushroomCake28 and @TheoAllen Thank you both for your time and attention.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
One thing to be careful of here. I had an escape skill originally in The Book of Shadows, but I did notice a strange quirk. If you used it to escape and an actor was KO'd, you'd get a game over instead of running away. May want to test and see if that occurs for you as well.

Though Abort Battle might get around this, as I was using the feature Escape command when I did it. Still may want to give it a test to be sure.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@bgillisp Just for the sake of absolute clarity (because my brain feels fried atm) do you mean if any actor was ko'd? Obviously it can't be the actor with the skill, because if they are ko'd, then they can't use the skill.

Having had a look at BattleManager, I think I'm correct in saying that Abort battle takes no notice of who is alive and who is not, but perhaps someone with greater understanding of the core scripts could advise on that.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
It was if anyone was kod but I think that's also due to how escape feature works. I've had no issue with abort battle though so I imagine you'll have no issue

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

The sinking feeling when you realize your grandmother probably isn't long for this world, and the frustration when you know that this pandemic will take her away...not because she has Covid, but because no doctor is willing to see a patient to even run simple diagnostics anymore if one of her symptoms happens to be a recurring fever, even if her primary care physician gives her the test and it comes back negative.
Will be revealing my project to the forum soon.
Ohboi, I'mma learning how to mix/sing better warming up (by singing game songs) for eventually singing my team's game's main theme. (Plus singing for my Patrons XD)
For anyone using my Extended Generator, would you like a discord server where you can exchange ideas, help, suggestions and news about the development ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
isabelx10