Sun Spirit
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA

SYNOPSIS
This is a short game made for the One Map Challenge, starring my characters from my main project 'Souls & Sorcery'.

One day, Tia and her friends Ashley, Zoey and Jasmine find themselves lost in a eerie mysterious forest.
They soon discover they have wandered right into a trap, set by a evil soul-stealing demon! Will our heroines escape the haunted forest alive?

CHARACTERS

Name: Tia
Weapon: Sword and Shield
The main protagonist. She is a brave kind young girl.
She loves hunting for treasure and can be very reckless and rush into dangerous situations without thinking.
Much to her friends frustration..

Name: Zoey
Weapon: Magic Bow
Zoey is a friendly and eccentric girl. She and Tia have been best friends since childhood.
She hates fighting monsters up close so she uses her bow and her spells so she
can attack from a distance. She loves fishing and cooking meals for her friends.

Name: Jasmine
Weapon: Magic Staff
Jasmine is the daughter of a mapmaker. She longed to see the world instead of just reading
about it in books, so she is traveling with her friends. Jasmine is a socially awkward mage
and gets embarrassed easily.

Name: Ashley
Weapon: Two Handed Swords
Ashley is the muscle of the group. She dropped out of Knight's Training
Academy to go adventuring with her friends. She is the 'big sister' of the group
and is protective of her friends.

SCREENSHOTS

CREDITS

SCRIPTS
Moghunter
Victor Sant
Yanfly
Modern Algebra
Galv
V.M of D.T
Yami
Karin's Soulkeeper
NeonBlack
Mithran
Lone Wolf
KilloZapit
Hiino
DerTraveler

GRAPHICS
Cooltext.com
ItaHoly
Heisenman
IneptAttorney
Liberty
Andy Chen/Dreams Circle
Ebanyle
Thalzon
Hiddenone
Guardinthena
Whtdragon
Kadokawa
Derex
Sythian Bard
Salty Arrow
Mitchi.exe & The Graphic Cream

MUSIC
David Orr
Bitter Sweet Entertainment
Karugamo
Kadokawa
Degica
YouFulca (Wingless Seraph)
Theoallen

DOWNLOAD LINK

KakonComp

Lucid
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Ostinato
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I had fun! Really liked your music choice, especially the title screen, map music, and final boss theme.
Also the face movements were a nice touch; I kept reading about that script on here, but never saw it in action before now.
Went all out in my first battle and was pleasantly surprised to see that I was healed after it, so I made the right choice, which is rare lol. It made regular encounters a bit too easy, but I feel the boss difficulty was done just right.

There was one typo that I did catch, which I will post in a spoiler:
If you had Mr. Cuddles before talking to Annie, there is a typo from Zoey when she says "Is This Mr. Cuddles? We found while we wandering around the forest"

Also congratulations on finishing your game!

Dalph

Nega Ralph™ (RM Tyrant)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian Curses
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Gave it a try quickly and I liked it.
Will probably play it again sometime later and be more specific with feedback but I had fun.
First of all good mapping (I forgot how good the VX ACE RTP looks compared to MV, haha), interesting and funny writing too, it wasn't easy to flesh out the characters personalities in such a short game.

Lot of skills and variety but the battles weren't particularly difficult and felt reasonably fair, I like the idea of having to help various ghosts to get out of a haunted forest.
That script to animate the facesets makes the dialogues feel more dynamic too and encouraged me to read more.
Healing after battles also makes the whole experience less frustrating and more fun and quick.

Congrats for finishing your game!

Last edited:

KazukiT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I really enjoyed the campy nature of the game, it was quite fun time. Ashley was a stand out of all the characters those. Although the battles not having any rewards gaining experience somewhat made battle not as engaging. You also did a good job selecting music to suit each specific scene so good job on that. Healing after each battle was definitely a nice addition, since you didn't have any items to use.

MrKiwi

No Flying Bird
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Dear Dreamfall887:

Hi, its me! Kiwi! I decided to give a try to your game, and I regret nothing: funny, short, catchy, few words to sumarize that its good.

The characters are so briefly presented that you don't really can fell in love with them or care much if something happen, still, the interactions between them has so much potential, I read the profile of each of them, and certainly there's more to them than presented in the game, it would be funny to see them again, that's up to you.
Their design is ok, not outstanding, but neither uninteresting, its like the regular set of heroes but with some tweaks, it really works out. My personal favorite has to be Zoey, the magic archer thing is really creative, although, gotta say she was one of the most useless members of the team.

To explain what I just stated, I'll start talking about the battles:

- Fast paced, visually apealing and simple yet intersting.

Battles aren't hard at all, probably it wasn't your focus making them hard, its not big deal, it makes the game feel light and smooth. Visually they are great, animations are smoth, every character has a decent set of skills to choose from a keep a good synergy between them. But here's a little bit of an issue the "defend" command, its one the commands I used the less, and rather than a defensive command its a "recharge" one, battles don't require you to increase your defense at all, Tia's skills already take care of that, so, why would some one use that command? To gain some MP and I think TP? (Maybe it was the regular one gained from damage), in other words, it more likely serves no purpose, like the inventory, I get that they are the regular commands you find in an RPG game, but they do nothing at all, its weird, It doesn't affect gameplay, its just an observation.

As for characters in battle;
Tia is your booster character, she can raise either defense or attack, and also can heal. She has some stong attacks, but you rarely get enough TP to use them, so she's not really a prime fighter;
Ashley, works really well as the "tank" character, high damage and defense, a "taunt" skill to make character focus her more, yet again, I think I just used attack and the provoke skill and that would've been her participation in battle;
Zoey, most enemies had the "resist" thing whenever I tried using an elemental arrow, so it was better to just use "attack" instead, only in the final boss I could charge enough TP to use "triple arrow" and some "double arrow", other than that she was just an extra attack;
Finally, Jasmine, she is the only character you'll think her move, most times you'll use her to heal, and if her MP is low you use the leech, other than that saint was the main damage that came from her and a few regular attacks, she also cures states.

The mapping was really good, a regular dark forest, but it really worked out. My only complain towards the map design would be how easy is to find everything, I mean, if you wanted to make a light game that was easy to complete then its fine, but, really? You send your husband to search your missing kid just to him go missing too? And then, some fateful day, you meet some random girls who find them in a few minutes? I know its RPG logic, but still... The fog thing I think it scrolls too fast, it kind bothered my view, but it really made things darker and spooky.

I'm no music expert, so I'll just say that the tracks really fit the mood. And the credits one was just precious.

Finally the plot itself: easy to understand, simple to follow and funny and challenging enough to enjoy and not get bored. It only took me a few minutes to complete the game, and I'm not complaining, I really enjoyed the experience, the dialogues are really good, and the quests are all in the go find X and bring it back to Y, but they were pretty on their own, my favorite one was the one of the knights, maybe you could've created a branching path there, like: one of them said he was poisoned before battle, but the other one said it was the other who tried using a potion to be stonger but it was poison: like this the player had to choose who was lying and this way maybe having two routes through the forest.

Anyways, congratulations for this little wholesome game, can't believe its made on VXACE, although I don't know much about that engine, this game doesn't looks like made on an old engine.

Hope you keep bringing more of these little jewels,

Greetings from Kiwi.

(Don't ask why I wrote this in a cardletter format, I don't know either, good job :))

dreamfall887

Sun Spirit
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hi @KazukiT!
Thank you for the feedback, I'm glad you found the game fun! :cutesmile: I'm still a newbie when it comes balancing enemies and designing boss fights so I was trying not to make the battles too hard. I think I ended up making the game too easy though lol. I'm glad you liked Ashley, I had a lot of fun writing her dialogue. :D

Hi @MrKiwi!

The characters are so briefly presented that you don't really can fell in love with them or care much if something happen, still, the interactions between them has so much potential, I read the profile of each of them, and certainly there's more to them than presented in the game, it would be funny to see them again, that's up to you.
My main goal was to keep the game as short as possible but still have a satisfying story and battles.
I do wish I had put in more character interactions (especially Tia and Zoey since they are best friends and all) but I didn't want to make the game too cut-scene heavy. :kaoswt:

I'll have to make sure all the girls get their time to shine in my main project! (that is.. if I ever actually finish it...:kaoswt2:)

Thank you for the feedback on the battle system. I am definitely going to remember that for my main project. I'm trying to make sure each girl is useful in battle and I'm still figuring what skills I want them all to have and the skill costs etc.

I'm glad you liked the map! (Sorry about the fog hurting your eyes though :kaoswt2:)

Anyways, congratulations for this little wholesome game, can't believe its made on VXACE, although I don't know much about that engine, this game doesn't looks like made on an old engine.

Hope you keep bringing more of these little jewels,
Thanks @MrKiwi! :)

Starmage

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
FIlipino
Primarily Uses
N/A
Alright, so I played the game and wow! I really love your forest maps! <3 It's wonderfully detailed like how I love seeing forest maps! :D It is also very atmospheric! ^_^ I'm also a huge fan of the Fire Emblem-like talking where the character face-sets eyes blinking and mouths talking! Very neat touch! :) The battles were fast-paced and I did enjoy 'em. Talking to the ghosts and solving their problems was also a pretty cool way to make path blocks. The characters were fun and I like their artworks. The forest turning into a beautiful sunny woods was also really pretty after defeating the boss! :D Great job on this one map entry, dreamfall! <3 ^_^ For something so short, you've made a lot of effort to make it stand out! :D

AbstractMan

Forever lost in the Tea Room of Despair
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
As one who values writing and story telling it is clear you have a passion for these characters and a greater story to tell. I would have performed less battles and a deeper understanding of the four bodies you must inhabit but for one map its pretty good. I eagerly await your main project. Keep it up!

Art such as this is a voice that is hard to express and demands much of us to utter, but once spoken it can never be silenced.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Do you have an audio you want me to animate? If so send me the youtube link and I’ll animate it.
Okay, so I'm working on Draft 2 of my game's script.
Will try to keep you guys posted, if you're interested!

This is vid of my new game, Crystalgazers. A demo is available on my Gamejolt

I just thought of the best achievement for my game: "'I Didn't Know You Were a Developer!' Find and enter one or more dev room(s)."
I made this animation to apply to a job, what do you think?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Koshibari