Eternal Twilight

Discussion in 'Completed Games' started by Fernyfer775, Nov 12, 2015.

1. IAmJakeSauvage

IAmJakeSauvage Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That's a feature in MOGHunter's Battle Hud. :)

2. Fernyfer775

Fernyfer775 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @Vayne88 If you could provide a screenshot of which buff display you're referring to specifically, I'll gladly help you out :) *Not 100% sure what display you're referring to, haha*

3. Vayne88

Vayne88 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You know if you have poison and blind for ex, the poison and blind icon above the char keep changing.

4. Fernyfer775

First Language:
    English
    @Vayne88 I believe that is one of Yanfly's plugins. I couldn't tell you which one though, because I can't remember lol.

5. Ninakoru

Ninakoru Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Finished the demo: 12h 42m.

- I played on normal difficulty, it felt challenging even if I didn't die much, only against a few bosses on the first try. The balance is excellent: especially hard to reach with all the bunch of skills, and loads of effects and statuses you throw in into the battles... Hats off to you.

- The demo is quite polished, I didn't have any issue at all! Not that I tried to break the game, but anyways... no flipping issues or hands at all.

- My only concern performance: with some skills with loads of hits, my computer gets a bit frozen. Also with the saving, sometimes takes up to 5 seconds to save. The menu screen needs more than a second to load. I ask... Is this common? I know my PC is not a rocket, but still... I guess has to do with some plugins that are not optimized for performance. Anyways is nothing that held me back of playing, just a bit annoying.

- Talking about annoying is a bit... arg! not being able to sprint inside houses for no apparent reason.

- The story is great. The characters are full of life, also the villages you come across. Also a great work in this department.

- The mapping is not bad, not astonishing either. You did put a lot of effort in game scenes and combat animations, and they look really great, add so much to the game!

- All the tutorials you placed are really well done, also the Manual. Thumbs up.

Let's make some criticism, you made a high quality demo, so I have to live up to the feedback expectations (I'm going to be picky and mix in personal preference):

- Sometimes the story pace is a bit slow, also is a bit too linear, it could have some branching or free explore windows here and there.

- The combat is a bit slow, especially when there's a lot of combat in this game. Not by the combat strategy itself (I love the status build-up strategies involved), but the time to execute all the stuff in each turn. How can you improve it a bit?

1- When you kill the last enemy with a skill, buff effects derived from skills (IE Damien Conservationist) could be skipped and go directly to the victory screen.

2- Some skills could have a shorter execution time, especially the instant ones. That also would give them the impression of not consuming the turn. I mean, the skills could be kept spectacular as they are now but you can cut some time in the animation and/or the setup. Even if you just jut some fraction of seconds here and there, at the end you could save about 10-20 seconds per battle as you end up using lots of skills per single battle.

- The base passive statuses could be removed from character's heads. I mean, is hard to track so many statuses and those are always there (and on the status battle screen). I also miss seeing the enemy statuses in the status screen.

- Damien Echo of life passive could be improved somehow: half of his skills give echo of life to the party and goes to redundant. IE: Instead of reseting the skill timer, you could do that each time is applied it makes the skill goes up in turns remaining and the healing effect is larger the more turns remaining. Also, Divinity skill is obsolete if you go for party-wide heal with invocation. Another option would be to give some other passives or an extra attack skill to make the character more varied.

- Kill shot is always last in turn... I removed that skill from Luna just because of that. I only find it useful against bosses.

- There's so much AOE skills, but the enemy groups are always 1-3 even when you have 5 party people. They should scale in numbers instead of giving the monsters more multiple attacks. You would need to rebalance the game a bit however (less HP per monster but less powerful AOE skills in turn).

- Accessories: TP-MP charge rings are near useless compared to others, as they give 20% in one thing and -20% in other. I mean, you would prefer other accessories that are all benefit, and this one only have a short use window If you are really lacking in Magic/TP... If the thing were about +20/-10 then there's a clear benefit using them. Also, the essence bracers leave all other rings obsolete.

- About making weapons/armor in the crystal... I really miss making relics!! Sometimes you are out of luck and the relics that drop are not decent. Also, I'm not sure but I have the impression that equipment from battles is a bit better in average (perhaps is just more leveled) that the one made from the crystal?

- Also, I miss some extra suffixes on armor, is too easy to have the same suffixes in two/three armor items at the same time and is a bit of a pain to mix them around between characters, or allowing the hands or head give weapon suffixes. Also some extra stat variety in armor: You can only get attack/M.attack/power/agility/spirit from relic and weapons!! As example, hands could give also some attack/M.attack, feet could give agility, head some power, and body some spirit. That would help to customize the characters a bit more.

- More on random stats... The 'base stats' of each armor type should be larger as you go higher in tiers. I mean, doesn't make any sense that with some luck you have cloth with higher defense than plate, or leather with more MP than cloth.

- One save file/ auto-save: Is a bit unnecessary. I mean: If I'm on PC I could cheat easily copying the save folder and the pasting it to reset the save whenever I want to reset. I understand you try to make the game as fair as possible, but if people want to cheat badly, they will find a way, and restricting to one save and auto-saving in my case is a bit annoying because can freeze the game for about 5 seconds.

- The weapons shops (armories) are totally useless. They should have a few rare boosted equipment from time to time to add something to the game. Now are just selling points, but you can sell at the crystal place merchant guy anyways...

- The junk siphon should be up in the key items and not among the regular items.

- Changing difficulty cost 1/4 my gold! I could just spend my gold and change the difficulty. It should be free, why not? :p

- Exilir of negation shouldn't cut total AP to do. Any other resource you could farm and is not tied to character leveling would be better (perhaps some extra essence or gold).

Thanks for the demo! Really great job with lots of passion there, I'm impressed!

Roguedeus and Fernyfer775 like this.
  6. Fernyfer775

First Language:
    English
    It's been a while since I've been here. My last semester in school really ate up all of my free time, but now that I am finally done, I can get back to working on my game! :D

@Ninakoru - that is some lengthy and wonderful feedback you have there, I am most definitely going to peruse through it some more and take a lot of it into consideration. There are some great things that you pointed out that I totally agree with and will be making adjustments based off of it.

I did recently do some small bug-fixes and balance sweeps to the game, so the new one is up and running - v0.5.3.

I'm going to be putting some overtime on working on the game in the next few weeks, and as soon as I have more to report on, I will announce it! ^_^

7. Darkantuan

Darkantuan Director Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    "Random loot?! Wow!!" this quote alone made me want to download the demo xD That title graphic looks amazing by the way, I am a sucker for gothic imagery! I'll be sure to let you know my thoughts on the demo :)

Fernyfer775 likes this.
  8. Fernyfer775

First Language:
    English
    Demo v0.5.31 is now live! - Balance sweeps and bug fixes only.
    Check out all the changes below:

General Changes:

• The Auto-Save feature has been removed completely and the player may now have 3 save slots.
    • AP gained on level and enemy kill up has been slightly increased. (+50 more AP per level and +1 more AP per enemy killed)
    • Pure Essence (used in crafting Essence Bracers) can now be crafted upon finding the "Tier 3 Recipes" runecrafting manual.
    • Relics may now be crafted upon finding the "Tier 3 Recipes" runecrafting manual.
    • Essence Bracers crafting cost has been reduced by about 25%.
    • The EXP boost provided by EXP Glyphs has been reduced by 25% for each tier.
    • EXP and gold earned from battles has been slightly increased.
    • Junk Siphon is now properly within the Key Items category of the main menu.
    • Enemies will now drop more Volatile Essence (quest item needed in a certain part of the game) upon death. This should cut down the amount of battles the player needs to participate in to proceed with this part of the game by about half.
    Equipment Changes:
    • Relics have had their numbers tuned. Relics provided far too many stat points, so the amount they give has been reduced by about 40% across the board.
    • Ferny, the vendor within the Runecrafting Shrine no longer sells accessories. He will only sell new Runecrafting recipes.
    • Armories were essentially useless, so instead of selling armor (the kind without the bonuses), they now sell accesorries (Bronze Wards, Mana Rings, etc).
    • The damage of "damage over time" weapon bonuses has been reduced by about 20%. The chance for these statuses to occur has also been slightly reduced across the board (about 10-15% on all ranks).
    Character/Skill Changes:
    Changes for all characters:
    • TP and MP costs have been re-balanced for all characters. Some abilities will now cost more to cast, while some will cost less.
    Luna
    • Pilfer Vitality now restores 25% more HP/MP when used. Damage has remained the same.
    • Wyvern Strike now deals 15% more damage per hit.
    • Frenzied Barrage deals 10% less damage per hit.
    • Kill Shot is no longer classified as a "Slow" skill, and will now trigger based on Luna's Agility. The Critical Damage multiplier of this ability has been reduced by about 20%, but the overall base damage should remain the same.
    Damien
    • Sphere of Power is now instant, has a 3 turn cooldown (down from 4), but only restores 15% of the party's TP instead of 25%.
    • The cost of casting Prayer has been reduced by 10%.
    • Divine Aegis now costs about 15% more MP.
    • Purify now costs about 10% less MP and TP.
    • Blessing now drains less TP while active (reduction has been cut by about 30%).
    Trish
    • Wrath of Nature is no longer always a multi-target hitting ability. It will randomly select 1 of 6 elemental spells (Wrath of Ice, Wrath of Fire, etc) at the end of the turn to deal damage. Some of these abilities are single-target, while some of them are multi-target. The single-target variants deal larger amounts of damage than the multi-target ones.
    • Tantra Magic is now instant, recovers a flat +20% of MP to it's target, and has a 3 turn cooldown (down from 4).
    • Trish's Passive will now always, at minimum, restore 1 MP to the party member with the lowest current MP.
    Ryudo
    • Shadow Strike damage has been reduced by 15%.
    • Obliterate damage has been reduced by 10%.
    • Draining Assault damage has been increased by 15% and also provides Ryudo with a 15% MaxHP buff for 3 turns when used.
    • Body Slam no longer adds a damage bonus to the enemy target while it is debuffed, and the parameter reduction has been reduced to 12%, down from 15%.
    • Berserker's Stance no longer reduces Ryudo's Defense stat while active (by default). One of the upgrade options does still have the Defense reduction, but provides a bigger damage bonus as well.
    Minerva
    • Due to Minerva's plethora of self-buffs, the base damage of most of her abilities has been reduced by about 15%. When all of her buffs are active, she still produces damage numbers that exceed that of most other characters, so although this is a direct nerf, she is still, by far, the hardest hitting party member. Numbers will continue to be tweaked until I'm satisfied with her power levels.
    • While Blood Pact is active (this ability reduces MP cost by splitting the cost her own HP), spells will now properly cost LESS HP and MP based on Minerva's MP Cost rate.
    • Vampiric Touch no longer drains HP from enemies, but will instead drain TWICE the MP it did before. This ability still refreshes the duration of Vampirism on the target.
    Enemy Changes:
    • The rare enemy encounter: "Bronze/Silver/Golden Orb" now provide 25-30% more EXP/Gold upon defeat. They also have a very high chance of dropping 1 or more relics.
    • HP of all non-boss enemies has been decreased by about 10%. To compensate, most of their damage has been increased by 10%. This will make is so that enemies are killed quicker, but now pose a slightly higher threat while they're alive.
    • Hard mode numbers have been slightly tweaked: HP/DEF bonus of enemies in hard mode has been reduced by 10%. Damage dealt by enemies in hard mode has been reduced by 5-10%.
    • Many enemies have had their Critical Hit Chance increased by anywhere from 3-15%. This makes Crit Evasion a slightly more valuable stat to look for in some cases.
    • Vygor's damage has been reduced by 5-10% when he is at lower health.
    • Minerva now deals more damage with her single target abilities, but slightly less damage with her multiple target abilities.
    • Runic Heart's attacks now drain 50% LESS MP from party members, but to compensate, he now deals about 5-10% more damage across the board.

Bug Fixes:
    • A new plugin that I was testing was having some conflicts with another plugin that I was previously using, that oddly enough, stopped Volatile Essence (an item required for progressing in the story) from dropping completely. Anybody playing Demo v0.5.3 is unable to proceed with the story because of this bug. This has been fixed.
    • Fixed a plethora of grammar/spelling errors in the game.
    • Fixed a bug that could sometimes cause the game to freeze up when having a 1-on-1 conversation with Trish in Piatro City.

Roguedeus and Moe_Lester13 like this.
  9. Moe_Lester13

Moe_Lester13 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Awesome, I'm looking forward to doing a hard mode run (completed normal a while back).
    Does the game still end at the Oasis?

Fernyfer775 likes this.
  10. Fernyfer775

First Language:
    English
    @Moe_Lester13 Awesome, I hope you like some of the changes ^_^ I'm currently doing a bit of another rework on the equipment system, so as soon as meticulously test that out for balancing, I'll be uploading that too!

Here are some of the changes if you're interested:
    • Through my testing, I found that in most cases, the bonus MP from cloth only did so much, so equipping leather/plate on all characters was really the best option, making cloth armor pretty much negligible after a while. I want to make ALL 3 armor types viable and not just have players slap on plate armor on all 3 characters for max DEF and HP bonuses. What I did to counter this is:
    • Cloth armor: Reduces MP cost of all skills, slight boosts to M.Attack and Spirit, and a large base reduction of magical damage taken.
    • Leather armor: Increases Critical Hit Chance, slight boosts to Agility and Power, and a medium base reduction of physical/magical damage taken.
    • Plate armor: Increases TP Charge rate, medium boost to Attack, Defense stat multiplier, and a large base reduction of physical damage taken.
    My goal is to make it so that there are "obvious" choices in what armor each character "should" wear, but allow enough flexibility to allow the player to decide: "Okay, Damien is waaaaay squishy, and he keeps dying, I should slap some more plate armor on him to help him live, even though he will lose some Spirit, Magic Attack, and MP from not having a cloth item there."

Gonna have to do a whole ton of test-playing to get the balancing back, since this essentially change the stats the party will have dramatically. Let me know what you think! :D

The demo does still end at the end of the Oasis. I am about 90% done with the completion of The Enclave (the map is huuuuuuuuuge and there are TONS of things going on in there), and I can finally proceed with more mapping/eventing.

Moe_Lester13 likes this.
  11. Fernyfer775

First Language:
    English
    Demo v0.5.32 is now live! - Skill learn system, Equipment Randomization changes, and boss mechanic changes.
    Skill Learn System Changes:
    • Skills across all players have a uniform "AP" cost of 300 AP for the base skill, and then 325-350 to upgrade the skill.
    • Players must now unlock all of the base skills before they are able to spend AP to upgrade those skills. I made this change for balancing purposes. It was hard to design boss fights without knowing which abilities the player chose to unlock first. Now, I will have a general idea of what level player should be by a certain boss, and then account for how many skills the player should have unlocked by that point, allowing me to better design bosses that won't be unbeatable if player hasn't unlocked a certain skill.
    • The "Unleash Potential" passive that is learned upon upgrading a certain amount of skills across the whole party now only provides +25 HP per upgrade instead of +50. The damage/healing boost remains the same.
    Equipment Changes:
    • Certain secondary bonuses have been slightly tweaked.
    • The "of regeneration" bonus that armors can roll heals for 50% less, BUT,
      may now stack. The player may now equip up to 4 of these items, which will essentially double what the effect used to be prior to this change.
    • Many armors and weapons now drop "gems" (sapphires, emeralds, rubies, etc - these sell for gold) when siphoned for essence using the Junk Siphon.
    Character/Skill Changes:
    Luna
    • Wyvern Strike now deals 10% more damage.
    • Frenzied Barrage now deals 10% less damage.
    • Healing Rain (Luna's Soul Trigger ability) now restores 20% more HP to the party.
    Trish
    • Wind Chi now deals increasingly more damage for every debuff Trish has on the target.
    • Gaian Tide now refreshes AND spreads all of Trish's current debuffs on her target to the target's party. This ability used to only spread her Poison and Fire damage over time, but now also spreads her Armor and Magic Damage debuffs.
    • The Mana Fountain buff given to the party by using Flaming Whirl (Trish's Soul Trigger ability) now provides double the MP restoration than it did before.
    Boss Mechanic Changes:
    Vygor
    • Vygor will now place a debuff on the party member that he will focus his single-target abilities on. This should help the player know who to guard/heal when Vygor gets to lower HP and can 1-shot a character if the character is targeted back-to-back.
    • Vygor now enrages at 40% (was 20%), dealing 15% more damage and leeching HP equal to 15% of the damage he deals.
    • Vygor's total HP has been reduced by 10% to compensate for these changes.
    Minerva
    • Dark Energize no longer gives Minerva 100% Critical Hit Chance, but rather,
      allows her single-target abilities to deal "splash" damage to all party members equal to 30% of the initial damage done to the main target.
    • Cursed Touch (cast when she reaches 70% HP) is now a 2-turn debuff that will add a +2 cooldown to ANY abilities cast while the debuff is active.
    • Omega Vampirism (cast when she reaches 40% HP) is a new ability that will place a damage over time effect on the whole party. This debuff has an infinite duration and will drain about 15% of every party member's HP and restore a portion of the damage done to Minerva's health. This debuff can be removed via Damien's Purify ability.

12. DarkKxng101

DarkKxng101 King of Calamity Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    nice game bro good job :MV1:

Fernyfer775 likes this.
  13. Halcyon Days

Halcyon Days Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hello, I played your game for almost 6h and I enjoyed everything about it.
    Some would say that the plot is cliché (the Empire is full of baddies who kills Magi because evil empress asked them to do so), although a certain reveal about the Empire was pretty unexpected which made me curious about what secrets the Empress is hiding. The playable characters are delightful, easily one of the best cast I have seen in a RPG Maker game. They all possess their own personalities, motivations and the interactions between Luna and the party members a blast to read (and I ship her with Damian, shame on me!).
    The gameplay is hella fun (especially the craft system and skill system since it gives to the cast, a role they can only fulfill) and the bosses, frustrating as heck and yet, rewarding to beat.
    However, I have a small problem. I'm stuck at Pietro because the game freezes when I have to enter in the house necessary to progress in the plot, and I'm afraid to have to start back from the beginning...
    Otherwise, Eternal Twilight is a pretty good RPG Maker game and kudos for your excellent work!

Fernyfer775 likes this.
  14. Fernyfer775

First Language:
    English
    @Halcyon Days - Thank you so much for the review! :D It warms my heart to know that my hard work and dedication to this project shows. I am close to releasing the most up-to-date version of the game, version 0.6, which brings with it a monstrous amount of mechanical changes.

My only concern is this freeze you're running into in Piatro. If you don't mind, can you take a screenshot of which house the game freezes up on? I have a group of about 5 testers who just combed through the whole game thus far, and I didn't get any reports of a game freeze in that location, so I'd like to take a much closer to look to make sure I didn't miss anything.

15. Zaeran

Zaeran Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Immediately drawn to this game as the title is similar to a game I was making years ago called Twilight Eternal.

But the levels of customization sound pretty cool and I'm a sucker for a highly customizable, side-view battle system. I will say the story sounds tropey (at first glance) but I'm certain there are some unique elements to the story. The battle UI also looks pretty sick

Fernyfer775 likes this.
  16. Halcyon Days

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You're welcome! (And sorry for the typo about the town ^^')

Here's the house in question: [​IMG]

Any idea about why this bug appeared?

17. Fernyfer775

First Language:
    English
    @Halcyon Days - does it freeze up every time you try to enter the house, or did it just happen the one time? Have you been able to proceed with the game, or are you stuck there because it keeps freezing?

@Zaeran - Thank you! I spent quite a lot of time on that battle UI, and my game focuses HEAVILY on customization, character mechanics and the battle system. If you end up playing the game, I'd love to see your thoughts! ^_^

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
  18. Halcyon Days

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well... Each time I enter in this house, the game freeze literally to the point I'm forced to close the game.

It's a shame, really.

19. Fernyfer775

First Language:
    English
    @Halcyon Days - That is super weird. Do you mind putting the whole folder into a zip file and sending it my way?

20. Halcyon Days

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I can't send the zip file in the topic, so I can send you by e-mail if it's possible?

Fernyfer775 likes this.