Ethaveon: The Red Thief

orlando

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score

The classic roleplaying game Ethaveon: The Red Thief will be set in a high fantasy setting with focus on a captivating story, immersive atmosphere and epic battles.

This game has:

• Fully original artwork, unique style (see screenshots)
  • Fully original orchestral score
  • Rich story and dialog

Screenshots:

Gameplay details:

Battle: front-view battle system (standard as provided with RPG Maker MV), extended with player-chosen manual skill choices when a character levels up to give the player some influence on character development

UI: the UI is patched for easier mouse and touch navigation (AdvancedMenus plugin), while keyboard + gamepad is still fully supported as usual

Being developed with: RPG Maker MV 1.2.0

Overall progress (Estimate): 5%

Platforms:

Platforms supported at release: Windows, GNU/Linux (Steam OS), Android (both phone and tablets)*

*The android release will require a mid/highend $300+ device with beefier CPU to run at playable speeds - therefore, your gaming experience may vary depending on the device.

Further platforms might be added, but no promises at this point.

Misc:

Last edited by a moderator:

Missile

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I like the look of this game - reminds me of a DOS adventure game, or an Ultima title. And definitely appreciate that it's using a taller and more rectangular look, rather than VXA's usual short squares.

Redwall 10

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Eglish
Primarily Uses
Hey how are you Nice game by the way. I like old school rpgs to

like the old D&D and Dark Stone and stuff. is there a link for this

game and you can find me on RMN.net

blueperiod

At night above our sleeping heads
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English/Spanish
Primarily Uses
N/A
This looks beautiful, but please, please, change the default font. I think the current font makes it look kind of cheap and doesn't fit with the presentation. Maybe a more oldschool pixelated font would fit better with your artstyle?

orlando

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks for all the positive feedback guys!

I did a small UI update and while at it, I also updated the font. See the updated screenshots above. :) If you are still seeing the old images, press CTRL+SHIFT+R to force a reload. In addition, I added a small sample piece of how the score of the game sounds like. Enjoy!

Matchitza

Finally Inspired!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Interesting! I'm looking forward to your game!

Simon D. Aelsi

Voice Actor/Frelance Composer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Hylian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Whoa. This looks really neat! I love the little audio bone you threw at us! Just reading what I read makes me want to investigate more into what the sisters might be hiding...

Great job. More! More!!

orlando

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
I got a bit frustrated with some silly limitations of RPG Maker VX Ace (many small details like the annoying native fullscreen resolution change instead of scaling and lack of proper mouse support without meh-working WINAPI hackery, no good possible way of Linux export etc.) and therefore I temporarily had fallen out of love with RPG Maker a bit.

However, RPG Maker MV fixes all of those with its incredible versatile HTML5 support.

---

Therefore, I am back working on this with new better graphics!!

See here:

OLD:

NEW:

My confidence in my drawing abilities has grown a bit, so now I'm daring to take on the full standard resolution - no more vintage upscaling! I hope you like it.

Of course, all graphics will continued to be original artwork.

Also, I'll most likely release the game for at least Windows, Linux and Android in whatever years it takes to complete it.

orlando

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
There are too many different style. Both 3d both 2d... >.<
Can you elaborate a bit on what you mean by that? Does it look incoherent to you with too many variations in style or something?
I can assure you it's all hand-painted, I don't use any sort of 3d rendering or anything.

Missile

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Some notes on new style -

I think one of the issues with the new style is that as the art becomes more detailed, the composition of the world around it has to follow suit. Structures like the shack can look perfectly in-style with a simplistic pixel art approach formed around consistent blockiness, but as you get more detailed, the tile-based restrictions reach an "uncanny valley," in that shacks, buildings, and nature aren't simply blocks like RM wants you to believe. It makes it feel as if the art style no longer plays to the engine's strengths.

The effect seems similar to HD Texture packs for games like Minecraft, or older 3d PC games.

TL;DR: adding detail can be dangerous depending on conditions, and might not always benefit you in the long run

Lymmet

the Oddborne
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
N/A
Looks good. Original artwork is always a good thing in my book.

orlando

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
I think one of the issues with the new style is that as the art becomes more detailed, the composition of the world around it has to follow suit
Thanks for the feedback!
FWIW, if I hadn't wanted to go for a quite squarey look, I wouldn't have chosen RPG Maker.

Other tools like Construct 2 are much more capable of a non-tiled look that allows for more freeform structures, however it also increases the time required for mapping and makes rendering even slower on mobile.

Also with 48x48 my game is still not exactly highres, so I think it still works well enough sticking with simpler, slightly artificial map composition.

Of course I don't mind making everything super organic and naturally flowing if I find the time for it, but it just seems unlikely that this will ever become an important focus to me.

orlando

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
The game is now in widescreen, and I added a new screenshot (still very WIP):

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Hi people! I was wondering... Here in Brazil, we have a whats app group for we talk about rpg maker and our projects. A more informal way for we meet each other. Is there any whats app group out there? :)
Ksi
Streaming the Valentine games from the RMN Valentiny event! Drop by and say hi!
How many Vocalist is on this forums?
Stream will be live shortly with some Witcher 3 followed by Haunting Ground! Feel free to drop by!
I have at least three ongoing projects and I have no idea what to do with them.

Gotta love game dev.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soviet_guy