BLACK

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I have just figured out how to use variable switches and non-auto switches! Any code you create with the Event Editor(i.e. Transfer Player or Play SE, etc.), can become a switch for that code by simply checking one of the switch checkboxes under "Conditions". Let's say for example, I want my actor David to say,(using "Show Text") "what's up!" Well, after I complete that insertion of code into the Event Editor--simply check the checkbox labeled switch and VOILA! I now have a permanent resource to use as a switch whenever I want. Variable switches are the same except they have boolean conditions which resemble characters(i.e. >=/<=). I'm going to start using these! Also, I hope this helps any or everyone who might not understand it.
Game Project Screenshot 3.png

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What are "variable switches" and "non-auto switches"? I've never heard of them.

You are talking about switches and variables, which are the basic building blocks of an RPG Maker game. Switches are boolean - they're on, or they're off. Variables are values - they are not booleans at all. You compare them to other values using < <= = > >= <>. I also don't understand what you mean by "checking the Switch box gives me a permanent resource to use as a switch whenever I want" - I think what it does, and what you think it does, may be two completely different things.

You really need to have a good understanding of how to use them, and what to use them for. For instance, do you realise that what you've done on that event is to make that dialogue ONLY show when the player stands on that exact spot and presses the action button AND switch 1 is already turned on? I suspect you don't know that's what you've done.

I suggest you find one of Andar's posts and follow the link to the beginner tutorials. You REALLY need to understand what those Conditions are used for, and I don't think you do.

BLACK

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think you are right...booleans are like True and False statements. Can you please delete this thread so I don't confuse anyone?

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

If it gets 6 degrees hotter we've reach 100
I am finally done making the 'superbosses' in my game!
I'm happy because oh my gosh they were a lot of work, but I'm also sad because I love database work... And also because I loved making stupid powerful bosses ._.
Question for anyone who reads Slip into Ruby or Jump into Javascript: do I sometimes get too "explainy" with the methods/functions? Would it be more useful if I stuck to explaining what the code is doing rather than also delving into minutiae of the technical side of it?
That moment when you try to figure out a color scheme for an alien ship so that it's something other than "Grey on Grey".
It's up for viewing! See what happened when EquestriAlert got tested in 1997... or was it a test? Did somepony hack the system? Or did somepony push the wrong switch? Even Adagio Dazzle (the owner of the channel) has no clue.

Can you put the pieces together? Don't worry, the game isn't over yet! There's more pieces to add on!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Badim